DOMS cures

Options
anyone got any uggestions to get through DOMS? currently doing a 5 day split... ths is rest day 2.. and well.. i cant move lmao.. what are your suggestions? i cant find my aleve, so i took advil.. not really helping much.. i do find chomping on some protein helps.. but that will bump up my calories too much..

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    - move...go for a walk...make yourself move
    - ice bath followed immediately by a warm shower can help speed recovery. don't go below 48*...I usually do mine around 52* for 10 minutes and then follow up with a warm shower.
    - just keep going...after a week or two, DOMS won't be nearly as severe
    - eat enough
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    anyone got any uggestions to get through DOMS? currently doing a 5 day split... ths is rest day 2.. and well.. i cant move lmao.. what are your suggestions? i cant find my aleve, so i took advil.. not really helping much.. i do find chomping on some protein helps.. but that will bump up my calories too much..

How much protein are you currently getting?
  • fireguychris
    fireguychris Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    thanx, i needed to hear that it gets better, i just got back into lifting after a LONG hiatus.. and well.. am extremly out of shape.. so was expecting bad pain.. but i dont remember it this bad... i'll keep working through it..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Movement and a hot shower. Just getting your blood going through the area will help with movement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You may always get bad DOMS if you only hit each muscle group once a week. People starting out do better on a full-body workout done every 2-3 days. You'll have far less DOMS, but the same results.
  • hal1964
    hal1964 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    A whey protein shake after a workout helped me.
  • fireguychris
    Options
    my reasoning for the 5day is i have a bunch of weight to lose as well, this will help me get in the gym more than not.. i'm eat a cal def. but not a big one... trying to stick around 2500 cal a day.. as my job is not a very active one..
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    my reasoning for the 5day is i have a bunch of weight to lose as well, this will help me get in the gym more than not..

Cardio on your non-lifting days. 5 day splits are for advanced lifters with a good base of strength to handle the higher workload.

• MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I like salt baths! Every now and then when I'm especially sore, I'll throw some AHAVA eucalyptus salts in the tub and just soak. Protein shakes and foam rolling after lifting, massages every couple weeks. I lift heavy 5-6 days a week. The extreme soreness should be completely gone after a few days of just getting back into lifting, and then you should be golden as long as you keep up.
  • fireguychris
    edited February 2015
    Options
    this is my current routine..
    http://www.building-muscle101.com/5_day_beginner_workout.html
    im droping cardio after each excercise except mon,wed,friday next week..
    (due to time and the fact i'm extremly beat)
    also not doing cardio on sat. as i dont have time.. ice fishing and or covers that..
  • fireguychris
    Options
    MmmDrop wrote: »
    I like salt baths! Every now and then when I'm especially sore, I'll throw some AHAVA eucalyptus salts in the tub and just soak. Protein shakes and foam rolling after lifting, massages every couple weeks. I lift heavy 5-6 days a week. The extreme soreness should be completely gone after a few days of just getting back into lifting, and then you should be golden as long as you keep up.
    just spent an hour shoveling my driveway, and my dad driveway.. i feel much better now :)
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    My own experience (i.e., may or may not work for you) is walking a mile or two at a relaxed (3-3.5mph) on the treadmill after the lifting, then foam rolling and stretching. I walk on days between lifting to get the blood moving - 4-5 times a day, maybe 20-30 minutes at a time. I read somewhere that omega3 might help so with the theory that it certainly won't hurt, given my current health status, I have been adding that supplement.

But I can't tell if the reduction in DOMS is due to the above, or just the fact that I am becoming better conditioned.
  • daniellebearuk
    daniellebearuk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    sauna and protein :)
  • daniellebearuk
    daniellebearuk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    and keep moving! walk!
  • Brittany91389
    Brittany91389 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Movement is the best cure for DOMS. I started lifting again after a pretty long hiatus and I was literally crying the day after but the pain got better as I moved so I stayed pretty active on my rest day. It's when I laid down to sleep that I had the issues.