Depression and Exercise

Options
Hi,
I've been severely depressed for about 4 years, spending a lot of that time in hospital. I'm feeling heaps better now, and have recently started exercising. I feel great while I'm exercising, but after the exercise I feel really flat and depressed, and end up moping for a couple of hours. Then, once I have dinner, I feel back to normal again. Does anyone know what this is about? Could it be a sign of messed up blood sugar levels? Comments would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Taryn

Replies

• AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    It was strongly suggested that I start exercising to fight my anxiety disorder (which is in a class with Depression). I'm happy to say that I have had only one panic attack in three months...during finals week! I used to have five a week with no triggers or reasons. I'd even wake up in a full blown attack. So, yeah, I think there's something to say about exercise and mental health healing. :)
  • DarthBubbles
    DarthBubbles Posts: 138
    Options
    I have severe depression as well, but have never experienced what you are...do you have a post-workout snack?
    That may help perk you a bit :)
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think its cause its such a rush of hyper feelings from not just doing the exercise but that fact that you have done it... you can kind of get a feeling of coming down... I find it best to have something light to eat when I get back and reward myself with a relaxing soak in the bath (with bubbles of course).

I think it is our body telling us we need to eat..... Dont give up the exercise as it really does help, I have been finding myself feeling alot lighter in my moods since I started :)

and I'm off my meds :bigsmile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Are you having a post-exercise snack? Or during exercise snack? It could be from your blood sugar level, or even mild dehydration.

I know I sweat a LOT when I run... I'm talking like 2 pounds of weight loss from sweating while I run! And one of the side effects of my antidepressant is increased perspiration. I'd feel like hell if I didn't have a big drink and something carby afterward. Jellybeans are a favorite. Just like ten or so, sometimes even while I'm running.
  • lisamarie1227
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been severely depressed for about 4 years, spending a lot of that time in hospital. I'm feeling heaps better now, and have recently started exercising. I feel great while I'm exercising, but after the exercise I feel really flat and depressed, and end up moping for a couple of hours. Then, once I have dinner, I feel back to normal again. Does anyone know what this is about? Could it be a sign of messed up blood sugar levels? Comments would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, Taryn

i don't know...i haven't heard anyone say this before. i suffer from depression and also have been in and out of the hospital with it. i know that exercising makes me feel 100% better when i can get myself motivated enough to do it. i've started taking vitamin D and all day long my energy was extreme...then i crashed after like 8 hours. maybe in a way you are, what i call, crashing after you have used up so much of your energy exercising. i know when i am exercising it is kinda like a high and then when it's over i stay that way for a while but maybe you just wind down faster.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    one of the side effects of my antidepressant is increased perspiration.

do you mind sharing which med has this effect?
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It was strongly suggested that I start exercising to fight my anxiety disorder (which is in a class with Depression). I'm happy to say that I have had only one panic attack in three months...during finals week! I used to have five a week with no triggers or reasons. I'd even wake up in a full blown attack. So, yeah, I think there's something to say about exercise and mental health healing. :)

Oh I so know the feeling of waking up in a panic, I always just put it down to a nightmear... I know this is a diet site but you sharing that expains alot :flowerforyou:
  • lisamarie1227
    Options
    I think its cause its such a rush of hyper feelings from not just doing the exercise but that fact that you have done it... you can kind of get a feeling of coming down... I find it best to have something light to eat when I get back and reward myself with a relaxing soak in the bath (with bubbles of course).

I think it is our body telling us we need to eat..... Dont give up the exercise as it really does help, I have been finding myself feeling alot lighter in my moods since I started :)

and I'm off my meds :bigsmile:

he said it better than me...but that's about the same thing i was suggesting may be happening:smooched:
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Try a little 100-200 calorie snack after you work out. If that doesn't help after a week or so, talk to your doc.

You get a natural "high" from exercising, so maybe you just react to not being able to keep that "high" going.

I know exercise is good for depression / anxiety. I weaned myself off my meds about 6 months ago, and started to exercise more, and I feel way better than I did while I was on the meds. Of course, I'm not suggesting that you do that... but do know that the exercise is probably helping more than you know, even if you come "down" after it.
  • TheKatzMeow77
    Options
    I also have depression, Exercise releases endorphins, the same as food and sex and stuff like that so yes exercise is one of the best medicines for depression!!!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    You could need a snack. Just do like a 100 calorie granola bar or something, and see if it improves, couldn't hurt to try. It could also just be your body coming down for the "natural" high from exercising. Do you do an intense exercise and then just stop? Maybe go from something more intense to like a 10 minute yoga to ease into your finish. If your still struggling ask a doctor (because you probably won't get very good medical advice on here). Good luck!
  • bbgunz88
    bbgunz88 Posts: 12
    Options
    Believe it or not it has been proven that whey protein can help fight depression. I have to agree. When i was depressed in Iraq and my fiance left me i dropped about 10 pounds in a week. I started workin out and drinking protein. Both of those lifted my moods. I've been medically depressed for 11 years and I'm 22. Try a scoop of whey protein to boost your mood with some lowfat milk (dont suggest water yuck!).
  • SandraMay1982
    SandraMay1982 Posts: 328
    Options
    I get a flat feeling, but not FULL on down in the dumps. My endorphins go away about 20 minutes after exercise.

I was med free for about 3 years until I went back on Effexor in Feb. I forgot about the increased perspiration on them. Whoops! haha.

I felt kind of ripped off that I was exercising and still feeling depressed / anxious. I thought it was meant to help. haha.

Do what the other have said. try a small snack or a drink afterwards to see if it perks you up. I eat some fruit when I get home from the gym, generally. Plus I am always STARVED when I get home!
  • 44isthenew29
    44isthenew29 Posts: 141
    Options
    To help combat depression is one of the main reasons I returned to exercise. I think you've received lots of good advice here, and hope that you continue with the physical activity - I think it's a very healthy treatment for our condition, along with diet, rest, and, for some of us, meds. I've been hospitalized too, btw.