Fitbit One on its way!

Options
JAT74
JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
I've just ordered a Fitbit One for myself and also for my boyfriend as we'd both like to become more active during the day and thought it would interesting if we both use one so we can compete a little and make it a little more interesting and motivating to move more.

I've read a lot on out the Fitbit and decided in the One because I like to wear a separate watch, I've also heard it's a bit more accurate than the bracelet versions too.

I have a question as I'm planning on using it for steps and stair climbing plus sleep mainly but my boyfriend wants to know if it would accurately track time he spends on the treadmill or Eliptical machine? I would also like to know how it syncs with MPF, does it add my diary contents to the Fitbit database or vice versa and can I manually log calorie burns for other exercise somewhere in the interface as I landing to use my Polar FT7 for workouts soon too?

Replies

• JAT74
    Options
    Can any Fitbit users answer my questions?
  • Carey125
    Carey125 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My fitbit one syncs with mfp and vice versa. It also tells you when you are most active through the day. Hope this helped some
  • Thyme4change
    Thyme4change Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi Jat! So glad to see your enthusiasm for your new fitbit one, I have it too! And the enthusiasm! You picked the one for the same reason I did. I tried four different types and brands. They all went back but this little beauty stayed. For me, i use the clip and a pony tail holder to secure it around my bra strap, then tuck it into my bra for my most accurate steps. If no bra then I do the same thing on my pants belt loop and tuck it into my pocket to keep it safe. But I seems to be less accurate there than tucked in my bra.

Yes, it tracks time accurately. But you need to make sure you stop it or don't accientl start it, like I do ;)

I chatted with a random lady infront of me who had one on her ankle. She said she gets accurate steps plus it actually counts steps while she bikes. I assume it would work on the elliptical as well. I need to try this myself. We fitbit people seem to connect like car people ;)

Yes, it synchs. There was and is a learning curve. Like I was logging water on FB and MFP, it doubled my water, oops. The other thing is when I log my workout on Mfp it adjusts my steps and extra cals on Mfp which I don't like. Because then I tend to eat those cals. So, I log my workout as weights instead, so it shows up as exercise but doesn't effect my cals or steps adjustments. I am sorry if this isn't clear, but once you do it a few times you will understand. I am sure there is an easier way to do it, but easy is boring
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Treadmill yes, elliptical maybe. Depends on the machine/motion.

I log my food at MFP and it syncs/connects with Fitbit. Love my One and its been a good way to get a visual of how active (or not) I am.
  • ambieambs
    ambieambs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just received my fitbit flex in the mail this morning. I am so excited To have it.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    My fitbit one does a good job of tracking steps taken on the treadmill. I haven't used an elliptical, so I can't help you there.
  • JAT74
    Options
    I'm still waiting for my Fitbit but it will hopefully be here in the next couple of days! I've downloaded Map My Fitness and I'll use that with the fitbit when I'm out on walks and maybe also my Polar too when I get it fixed just to keep an eye on calorie burns.

Does anyone else use it for calorie burns or mainly just steps and sleep? I would guess my Polar will be more accurate for calories but I am relying on my Fitbit to motivate me to move more and the same for my boyfriend but we will see!
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    my flex tells me how many calories I've burned each day. and it does sync to MFP- which can then increase your daily calorie allotment. For me that's not a problem, as I've set my daily calorie goal at an amount that is maintenance level for a somewhat sedentary person at a weight that is 30 lbs less than my current weight. Hope that makes sense. I've used the flex on a treadmill, and it worked. Not sure on elliptical.
  • JAT74
    edited February 2015
    Options
    To be honest I'm planning to ignore the extra calorie burns (ie, not eat back any extra calories) from ordinary activity even if I manage to increase my steps to 10,000 per day but for workouts I'm guessing that my Polar HRM will be more accurate in terms of calorie burns due to it reading my actual heart rate which the Fitbit can't do. It will be interesting to see if wearing the Fitbit on the machines helps me reach my goal though (in terms of steps).