1200 daily calorie goal?

Options
I'm 162cms and 71kgs.... I put my weekly loss goal at 800gms/0.8kgs per week as I thought this was pretty reasonable, but have been given a daily calorie goal of 1200... Does this sound correct? I only ask as I have been reading peoples comments on here saying that is far too low.
Is there any way I can work out exactly what my calorie deficit should be?
Thank you heaps :)

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    With that little to lose your goal should be set at a half a pound a week.
  • AxelsMum
    Options
    Oh really? Ok maybe that is where I have gone wrong. I did think that a loss goal of 800gms per week was realistic as I have about 12kgs to lose, but I guess I was wrong!
    Thank you for your help. I will adjust my weekly loss goal and see how I go with the increased calories :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    AxelsMum wrote: »
    Oh really? Ok maybe that is where I have gone wrong. I did think that a loss goal of 800gms per week was realistic as I have about 12kgs to lose, but I guess I was wrong!
    Thank you for your help. I will adjust my weekly loss goal and see how I go with the increased calories :)

Also, remember you are earning calories through exercise.
  • stif9
    stif9 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Aim for 1lb of weight loss each week so you can start higher than that.
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/calorie-maintenance-calculator-daily-calorie-requirements/
    Use this or any other calculator online to determine your maintenance calories, meaning how much you have to eat to stay at your current weight.
    Then for 1lb loss a week subtract 500 calories each day. Dont go for the extremes take it slow.