fast food and a seperate question..

Options
Cortx
Cortx Posts: 103 Member
is it ok to eat fast food once or twice a week if you exercise enough and it stays under your calorie goals?

another question ...

i am a bit confused on this one. do i stay in my calorie goal no matter if i exercise or not? because when you exercise it gives you more calories. do u eat them? Most of the time i stay under my goal (according to this site) because of the exercise points.

Replies

• TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food nearly daily and still have been losing just fine.... as long as you make smart choices you're ok.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Fast food... I suppose you can, but watch your fat, sodium, etc. Fast food is FULL of stuff you don't want.

Calories. Some people eat them back, some eat half, some don't eat any. Just make sure you're eating enough that your body isn't starving.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I recommend staying away from fast food. Even if you are under you calories, it is high in fat, and sodium. You could eat twice the amount of good food for every fast food meal you eat (well, depending on what you get...but you get my drift)

As for exercise calories, I always eat at least my 1300 calories. When I workout, I usually eat back about half, but I try to add in extra fruits, veggies, and protein with the extra calorie (like a couple more ounces of salmon or an extra helping for fruit as an evening snack).
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It is possible to eat fast food and lose weight, but not likely to be very healthy. At most fast food places, the options that are labeled "healthy" have pretty much the same nutrients as the rest of the options.
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food nearly daily and still have been losing just fine.... as long as you make smart choices you're ok.

What do you eat at the fast food places? And where?
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    A small fast food meal once in a while is okay (but I would say no to the oversized "value" meals ... way too much fat and sodium). I wouldn't got even once a week though. A small cheeseburger, fries, and drink are going to cost you close to 1000 calories and have not a lot of nutrients, so to stay under your daily goal you'd need to skimp on stuff that will have the nutrients you need. Make it once or twice a month instead.

And I suggest eating back most of the calories from exercising. When you are regularly active, it boosts your overall metabolism, so you even burn more calories when you sleep. And then the exercise also burns calories while you're doing it. You can stay a couple hundred calories under the goal (after it's adjusted for exercise) if you want. You'll loose a bit faster. But don't drop too much below too often.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Fast food... I suppose you can, but watch your fat, sodium, etc. Fast food is FULL of stuff you don't want.

Calories. Some people eat them back, some eat half, some don't eat any. Just make sure you're eating enough that your body isn't starving.

Really like this answer. I would just do whatever feels comfortable for you as far as eating more when you exercise. As they put it, some people do, some people don't...and the more you try to learn about this the more confused you'll get (its a very big debate topic on MFP).
  • wildkiger
    wildkiger Posts: 25
    Options
    Yes, with the fast food you need to watch exactly what nutritional value you're getting. Most of it is very high in fat and sodium and not very healthy.

The way the site is set up, you eat back your exercise calories. It's not allowing you to "overeat", it's simply programmed to keep you fueled and getting the minimum requirements.

It's important to be eating at least 1200 net calories so your body doesn't starve. I noticed some people don't want to eat back the calories they just burned, but if you're only eating 1200 cal per day and burning off 400 or more, your body is only getting 800 cal...which is not enough to keep it running healthy for very long.
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    is it ok to eat fast food once or twice a week if you exercise enough and it stays under your calorie goals?

If your goal is just to lose weight, you can eat fast food and still accomplish your goal as long as you're still under your calorie goals. However, it is NOT healthy - even when you do stay under your calories so if your goal is good health, I'd avoid it.
  • adfranks
    adfranks Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Watch what you eat from any source! As long as you are eating within your calories/fat/sodium/carbs you will be fine! As for the calories for working out... just eat what you need :) Don't worry if you eat them all one day and then few or none the next. Your body should be telling you on days you really work hard that you need a few extra calories. drink water too.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    All very much in moderation:

Mcdonald's: Egg McMuffin, Hamburgers, Southwest Chicken Salad
    Burger King: Double Cheeseburger and small fries is about half of my daily calories...
    Wendys: Side Salad, Chili, baked potato, hamburger
    Chipotle: Bowl is about half of my daily calories...
    Jersey Mike's: Regular or mini turkey sub depending on how much I want to eat the rest of the day
    Subway: Turkey and ham (if I feel like eating crummy sandwiches)
    Skyline Chili: Small 3-way

I could go on....
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I supposed anything in moderation is ok....
    With that said , fast food is FULL of preservatives and junk that is NOT good for your body! I gave up fast food a while ago...and I dont miss it! One time I was doing a SERIOUS spring cleaning and I found a part of a mcdonalds cheesburger that my son (who was 2 and a 1/2 at the time) had stuck in one of the grooves on my wine rack. I found it a good 6 weeks later (if not more) and it still looked like it did the day I bought it....except it was as hard as stone! That is how much preservatives they load those things with....that thing should have been rotten and smelly long before I found it! Now some places have better choices, like salads and oatmeal, etc...and if that is all your ordering then I'm sure its fine! But twice a week is often to put all that junk in your body! It's not just the fat and calories that hurt your body!
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I am a chef and in my nutrition class Moderation was the key thing! If I am on the go I will grab McDonalds oatmeal with fruit. Once in a while cant kill your results to much! Watch sodium, calories, fat and carbohydrates of what you are eating. I always request nutritional value brocure information on anything I eat out! The restaurant has to provide this to you! I hope this helps! When I exercise I try to eat more protein and carbohydrate food choices with low calorie choices. If I am going to bust my butt exercising I don't want to eat extra calories to make up calories burnt. I will friend you !

April
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    OP, yes, please eat them. MFP already has you set up with a calorie deficit so you could lose weight without exercise. Not eating those calories will make the deficit too large and your body won't be getting the fuel it needs. You should at least be eating a good percentage of them, anyway.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    It isn't so much as staying in your calorie goal as much as it is where your calories are coming from... if you WANT to really go and eat there 1-2 times a week... be careful of your sodium intake as well as other factors... there is just so much unknown stuff that people are still figuring out that's it's scary to put something so unknown in your body. Don't get me wrong... I eat there once in a while too (wherever it may be...), but not that often... like once every few months.

To the other question I just suggest you eat when you are hungry, and don't eat when you are not. Simple as that.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Personally I try to avoid it all costs. Every few weeks I'll make a concerted effort to go and get my "fix" when my mindset is right and I can use it as a meal without splurging a whole days worth of calories. But even if I had the free money to go daily to pick "healthy" stuff, it's only tempting fate. Majority of the healthy stuff they advertise is still really bad for you. The amounts of sodium packed into their foods is terrible. All of the complex carbs, fats and such just slow your metabolism down and aren't fueling your body with what it needs. You may be able to stay under your calorie goal, but you're going to feel sluggish and tired.
  • LibLiu82
    Options
    I try to stay away from fast food. Some places are worse than others. Sonic is total wasteland, I can't find anything there that isn't soaked in grease. I will occasionally get a side salad, baked potato or chili from Wendy's and I sometimes eat at Chick-fil-A with my boys and get a side salad or fruit and steal a couple of their nuggets. If you eat out regularly and want variety, try the salad bar at the grocery store. You can often get in and out quickly (at least I can here with a self-checkout) and you can get something a little different each time.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    This is a common question on here when people are new. There is no need to try to make anyone feel stupid for asking.

Thank you. That answer was totally unnecessary

OP eat in moderation. The health nuts will tell you all fast food is bad. It's not the best option but is fine in moderation. I eat Nasi Goreng once a week and I LOVE it. And I rarely gain. Make sure to drink more water on days you do it as you'll have higher sodium and need to flush it out.
  • maryjay51
    Options
    i dont eat my exercise calories unless my body is telling me i need more ..i eat for the most part pretty healthy and six times a day usually.. ive done well for myself with that way of doing things .. 80lbs and counting