Appetite suppressants

Options
So the slew of natural appetite suppressants (raspberry ketones, 5 HTP, ( I think thats correct) etc, is anyone using either for true appetite suppressing? I did a search thru the blogs and many people were using for their anxiety/mood/depression. I would like to have an edge on my afternoon cravings.. from 3-6pm, between lunch and dinner I find it the hardest to not grab something to eat. Keep the cravings at bay. And Id like it to be natural, with no stimulants since I tend to be sensitive to them. Any suggestions from members using?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat something?

There is no reason you can't fit food at any time of the day in to your calorie and macronutritional goals.

Life would be pretty grim if every time your body is telling you it wants sustenance you need mumbo jumbo snake oil to suppress it.
  • Cellothere118
    Cellothere118 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Understandable, Cityruss.. and I WANT to grab something to eat, but I have it in my mind to save the calories and push thru til dinner. Today it was 4 triscuts with 4 pieces of cheese. It helped, a lot. But in the back of my mind I was thinking "now you have to burn it". Sure I exercised. Im liking the MFP way of keeping track and motivation from members. Ive put myself into it on Feb 1, and I cant let myself fall off the wagon for weight loss again. Just hoping to grab an edge to see it thru this time.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do you pre-log in your food diary?
  • JessDickman72
    JessDickman72 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry - eat. Your body has it's way of telling you what's wrong or when it needs something. You just need to learn how to read it. "Am i feeling hungry because I want to eat _____?" Or is it "I've gone several hours without anything to eat, so I think I should grab a healthy snack". Calories are NOT everything. Nutrition is though.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Drink water.

If you are still hungry 15 minutes later, eat something.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Nothing you can buy in a bottle. I have a cup of herbal tea or black coffee if my calories are allocated for the day and I don't want to use them on a snack.
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Water!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Technically the appetite suppressants that you get over the counter can be labeled as an appetite suppressant because it contains caffeine- like hydroxycut and cellucor HD. They don't work and are a waste of money.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Understandable, Cityruss.. and I WANT to grab something to eat, but I have it in my mind to save the calories and push thru til dinner. Today it was 4 triscuts with 4 pieces of cheese. It helped, a lot. But in the back of my mind I was thinking "now you have to burn it". Sure I exercised. Im liking the MFP way of keeping track and motivation from members. Ive put myself into it on Feb 1, and I cant let myself fall off the wagon for weight loss again. Just hoping to grab an edge to see it thru this time.
    Why did you "have to burn it"? Did it not fit into your calorie goal for the day? What is your calorie goal and do you meet it or come close each day? Do you eat back exercise cals?

I know sometimes the afternoons just make me snacky - caffeine, as someone else mentioned, can help with that and I've found that a cup of tea or coffee can definitely carry me through to dinner. Also, the water, wait 15 minutes to see if I'm still actually hungry.

But most of all, make sure your goals are realistic - if there's no room for snacks or you're truly hungry, maybe you need to increase your goal a bit.
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Afternoons are the hardest time for me too. Above suggestions work for me. 1) I plan my calories for the day, so I know that I can have something in the afternoon. Sometimes it's a protein bar (I read the label!). 2) Drink water. 3) And this is really counter-intuitive--I go for a walk or exercise. I know it makes me hungrier for dinner, but partly the craving for a snack is to deal with work stress and a walk does that quite well. And then I've usually earned a few extra calories for dinner.
  • Cellothere118
    Cellothere118 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. And to try to answer some of the questions - I am drinking water through the day and would say I get at least 40oz. Pre planning my meals is so so. I usually go with say, one of 3 staples for breakfast, pack my lunch but not always, so those days I order out but im smart about it. Etc. Its usually a 6 hr stretch between lunch and dinner for me. So sure, I get the munchies/hungry. But its controlling the amount of the "snack", eating something small and giving it time to actually hit my stomach and douse the munchies. Thats where I felt having something to take off the edge would help. I am a tea fan, and its usually a cup at night, but perhaps an afternoon cup will fit the bill. I guess even though im allowed a certain amount of calories, im being "cautious", ive got to ditch that mentality. Its not going to come off overnight. And cutting back on what I should be eating can backfire. I know. Just want it gone. But thanks again, I did read each reply and will take the advice from them. :-)