Exercising while Morbidly Obese

Options
I feel like I have searched youtube and many many sites on to properly do planks for obese people. I know I should take it very slow since I am still in the baby phase. My wrist really hurt when I try to do planks. I use my elbows and I can't hold it longer than 4 seconds. Can anyone suggest any core strengthening exercises that won't make me fill like I'm about to break something. I used to be in a class where the instructor had me do it on the wall. I am not able to attend this class at the moment. But I didn't feel anything while doing this. I didn't feel it was effective. Can someone post a website I can refer to for help?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Start on an incline. A bed with your feet on the floor, or a bench or tabletop. Progress as your muscles get more endurance to hold.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    use stairs-stand with feet at bottom and put hands on 3rd or 4th stair up. Basically same idea as above.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Until I lost thirty pounds I just concentrated on moving. You are right to be cautious protecting your joints. Love the ideas above. Anything in the pool is protective too. Look for core exercises you can do on your back, same thing, protective.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You burn a lot of calories just moving around, so I think you should listen to jgnatca's good advice and concentrate on moving a bit more. You don't need to worry about exercise videos or equipment (unless you find those motivational)... You could just put a yoga mat in front of the TV and march in place while moving your arms & enjoying your favorite show!! I eat mindlessly while watching TV, so putting an exercise mat in front of the TV really helps me change my bad habits. :smile:

Eating fewer calories will make a lot bigger impact on your weight loss, so focus on creating a satisfying eating regimen that you can stick with. Whatever you do, make sure you listen to your body, and consult with a trusted doctor as you pursue your goals.

Congratulations on getting started on your journey to a healthier you. Please make friends on MFP so that you can get some positive motivation and support from folks who have "been there, done that." You can do it! :+1:
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of very active Groups that might be good sources of support and information.

#TeamGetOutOfThe200s!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4749-teamgetoutofthe200s

100 + pounds with NO surgery
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3322-100-pounds-with-no-surgery
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    If 4 seconds is all you can do then that's ok! Keep building up. Swimming is a great core excersie and so is using a weighted hula hoop!
  • arsherma
    arsherma Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I was blessed with an elliptical for Christmas so I have been moving with that for about 30 minutes 3-4 times a week. I was just trying to incorporate some strength training but I will try ALL the suggested movements. Thanks again. You all are great!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Do you hold on when using the elliptical? Try NOT holding on. Move your arms like you're running if you have to. It's quite an impressive core workout staying balanced. (I am *noticeably* slower when not holding on, because I'm working so hard on balance!)
  • normah713
    normah713 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Dont Give up..in the end it will be worth it.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Strongly suggest some sort of water aerobics which will support your weight.

Good things. Just moving you burn tons of calories.
    Even modest exercise gets you big health benefits.
    You will make steady progress, as everyone starts somewhere. You need to balance progress against sustainability, so build on things, dont do too much too soon, but also dont slack and push yourself.

People who have a lo of weight to lose get my greatest respect when I see them in the gym. Pace yourself, but if you are consistent you will lose weight and as long as you keep smart and focused, then you can see it right through to the end. Good luck.