Good carbs bad carbs

Options
If you are eating junk food carbs then yes, you may need to change something in your diet though it probably isn't more protein. Rather than eating the refined sugars and flour products. Eat more whole food less processed carbs. Many Asian and rural Africans eat a whole food mostly plant based diet with most about 80% coming from carbs. Unless you are starving yourself you most likely don't need any more protein. If you still feel like you need more protein eat plant protein like legumes beans and even greens.

Replies

• TheEats
    TheEats Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you are eating junk food carbs then yes, you may need to change something in your diet though it probably isn't more protein. Rather than eating the refined sugars and flour products. Eat more whole food less processed carbs. Many Asian and rural Africans eat a whole food mostly plant based diet with most about 80% coming from carbs. Unless you are starving yourself you most likely don't need any more protein. If you still feel like you need more protein eat plant protein like legumes beans and even greens.

Right, that was random.

Can you please add some sources for this drive-by nugget of advice?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you're active you need more protein...and there's nothing wrong with eating poultry, fish, or meat to get it. I'll have a side of beans with fish tacos thank you very much...
  • mrjansanman
    mrjansanman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I was trying to reply to someone that asked about where to get protein source. My bad.
  • stif9
    stif9 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    drive-by nugget of advice, ahahhaha
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    EDIT: I removed what I posted after seeing your reply.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • mrjansanman
    Options
    I eat about 80% carbs and I exercise several times a week. My protein is only about 10-15% and is plant based only. My total cholesterol is only 105 and I feel fine.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I eat about 80% carbs and I exercise several times a week. My protein is only about 10-15% and is plant based only. My total cholesterol is only 105 and I feel fine.
    Oy, if I only ate 10% of my calories from protein, of 55g, I'd be feeling terrible. Percentages are not really an ideal way of determining macro intake anyways. If my calorie goal is 2200, then 10% protein sucks. If my goal is.... Well, if my goal is over 4000 calories then 10% of my calories going towards protein would be doable. Then I'd also gain lots of weight.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Years ago my diet used to be about 60-65% carbs, 10% protein, and the rest fat. I felt fine like that, but for one thing, I think my diet would be too unbalanced at a higher carb intake than that. I was already eating loads of whole grains and some fruit as it is like that. Secondly, while I was sedentary so it didn't matter much, the amount of protein I was eating was probably barely adequate given that I was just finishing my physical growth at the time.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I need meat!
    cj9qmyujf5n9.jpeg
  • mrjansanman
    Options
    Everyone needs to make their own choice. I choose to be healthy and not have heart disease, diabetes and other diseases that complicate my health. But I respect your choice to do eat what you want.
  • mrjansanman
    Options
    Well, the US, Denmark, Switzerland and other milk and meat producing countries have the worst osteoporosis problems than Asia and Africa where they eat very little meat and almost no dairy. So I probably won't worry about that, but thanks.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Hmm, and all those people on the orthorexia thread were insisting that people posting about their dietary restrictions absolutely did not mean to be judgy of the diets of others, and that it was only those who said the restrictions weren't necessary who were judgy.

Interesting.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Oh, shiite, here we go.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

So no fat and little protein. Ok, please don't give anyone advice.
  • mrjansanman
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Well, the US, Denmark, Switzerland and other milk and meat producing countries have the worst osteoporosis problems than Asia and Africa where they eat very little meat and almost no dairy. So I probably won't worry about that, but thanks.

Actually people of Asian and European countries are more at risk for genetic reasons. In addition, since the major risk factor for osteoporosis is advanced age, these countries have higher numbers of cases because they have higher average lifespans.

However, if you plan on living for a while, you can mitigate the impact by taking in calcium and protein.

See, that's the funny thing about the 'healthy' brigade. The failure to understand the knock on effects of dietary choices.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

So, what are the life expectancies in those countries... just curious about apples to apples and all that minor annoying stuff.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I used to be vegan. And felt tired. Gained weight. I now watch carbs. Eat meat now, feel better, and am losing.