Is low carb still worth it?

Options
So I've been on MFP for about a year now, i've lost approx. 160 pounds with a strict low carb diet and regular exercise. But now i have the problem that i can't keep up low carb anymore i started to live way more healthy which kind of created a love for fruit in me, so everytime i actually get into low carb again it lasts like 2-5 days and i can't contain myself anymore from eating fruit.

So im wondering if it's even worth it? I can probably loose weight without low carb as well so should i try and stay on low carb or just a caloric deficit?

Replies

• Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    When was low carb ever worth it?
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I guess it all depends on personal opinion, but for me I want to be able to enjoy life as much as possible while making better eating choices. For me, that includes carbs! I look forward to eating an orange every day because they are so sweet! So to me they're worth it. :)

Congrats on your weight loss! Good luck :)
  • Triavalon
    Triavalon Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    In my understanding, low carb is more about eliminating highly processed and refined carbs with no other attributes such as pasta, candies, or flours. My advice is that fruit is probably better for you since it has water, nutrients, and fiber to balance the sugars, but you might want to maintain a low carb lifestyle in other aspects. Just tried to avoid canned fruit, fruit juice, and pre-made fruit salads (in a cup or otherwise), because those things tend to be loaded with extra sugar and/or have their fiber and nutrients removed.

That being said, a calorie deficit will almost always make you lose weight, low carb is just a certain way of making sure you drop calories while maintaining proper fat and protein levels. Fats are used for more than energy and proteins are for muscles, so many people cut carbs because their only use is in energy and energy storage.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    Low carb/no carb diets do work, but like you said come at a price. You can get quicker results with low/no carbs but you can still get results by including carbs
  • jdevergillo7
    jdevergillo7 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Mudakon wrote: »
    So I've been on MFP for about a year now, i've lost approx. 160 pounds with a strict low carb diet and regular exercise. But now i have the problem that i can't keep up low carb anymore i started to live way more healthy which kind of created a love for fruit in me, so everytime i actually get into low carb again it lasts like 2-5 days and i can't contain myself anymore from eating fruit.

So im wondering if it's even worth it? I can probably loose weight without low carb as well so should i try and stay on low carb or just a caloric deficit?

Congrats on that weight loss! If you want fruit eat them :) I believe in anything in moderation and why deprive yourself on something you love ESP if it's nutritious and yummy!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've tried doing low carb many times. But the two things that send me over and which I love is milk and fruit.
    For me, it's not worth it, especially when it starts to become an unenjoyable chore...
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Nah, I would say I doubt you have any need for low carb diets. I do what I guess you might call "medium carb" lol. You know the oldskool 4 food groups deal? I still eat like that. It makes me feel my best and be the most satisfied.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it's not going to be sustainable for you long term. Perhaps try upping your carbs gradually until you reach a level that allows you to eat the food you enjoy and still helps you reach your goals. For weight loss, eat below your calorie goal.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Mudakon wrote: »

I think it is best to eat in a way you can enjoy and keep up. If you are having trouble staying with low carb diet maybe it is time to just focus on your calorie deficit and eat what you like.
    I would eat some fruit every day and just fit it into your calories.

• JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I do a "Paleo diet" that allows for 100 carbs a day and encourages ALL the fruits and vegetables you want.

Other than that and carbs and sugars are a drug that you CHOOSE to not ingest.
  • Mudakon
    Mudakon Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow those are alot of answers, but thanks to everyone, atleast now i don't have to feel horrible anymore for breaking my diet and can just enjoy going to the gym with actual energy :)

Thanks everyone.
  • Project2015
    Options
    it is not so much about being low carb [which i eat 120-150grams a day] as it is about eating THE RIGHT CARBS, pizza dough obviously is a no, cake a no, etc. Oats, banana, sweet potatoes, vegetables, brown rice, i can go on these are the carbs you needs to have. without carbohydrates your body will eventually feed off of your protein/muscle cells and you will be skinny but still end up with a high body fat percentage, or you'll just be screwed and be eating your muscle away and not getting any gains that you need. i eat a low carb diet because i have a medical issue/digestion issue. that's MY reasoning behind it. But I use a ton of paleo recipes for dinners and desserts and they're delicious. But lets be real i love sweet potatoes, nothings worth giving those up ;]
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    One thing for me as I am building muscle is allowing more carbs on the days where I am doing heavy lifting. This allows me to hit big weights and gain muscle and therefore lose stacks of fat. On cardio days I limit carbs.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I do a "Paleo diet" that allows for 100 carbs a day and encourages ALL the fruits and vegetables you want.

Wait, carbs are a drug? Can you tell me more?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Wait, carbs are a drug? Can you tell me more?

I know, for me.... the more carbs I eat during the day the more I want. If I eat a big plate of pasta, I'm hungry/craving something again an hour later...

• Rockmaker
    Rockmaker Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just started the low carb diet for the first time, so I don't know much about it. But you lost a lot of weight going low carb, so it looks like it's worth it. I think you should add some of the fruit you crave. With your huge accomplishments in weight loss you would be able to quickly diagnose if it's working or not. Life isn't something you will enjoy latter once you get to someplace you want to be at. We have to enjoy it today, so I say eat that orange today and have faith that your instincts will make it work.
  • JacquiH73
    JacquiH73 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Complex carbs are what you want to eat (whole grains, fruits, and veg), simple carbs you want to avoid, white flour, white rice, refined sugars and starches.

I consider low carb diets to be fad diets and there's no real scientific evidence to show what the long-term effects on health are by following a low carb/high protein diet plan. The studies just aren't out there and most studies are brief. Only a series of long-term study of the effect on health by eating low carb that is conducted for 10 years or more would convince me that such a diet was healthy.

Fortunately there have been long term studies on plant-based nutrition and that's why I try to stick with the guidelines suggested by the National Academy of Sciences and National Institutes of Health rather than going by some protein, saturated fat, and cholesterol rich fad diet.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I do a "moderate carb" diet. I focus more on getting more protein than on carbs specifically, but there is less room for them at the end of the day. I avoid white/simple carbs and added sugar. But I do choose veggies, and my tart cherry juice for recovery. Plus some berries on occasion, and grapefruit juice. I don't do much dairy, I choose unsweetened soy milk instead. I always try to trade up for protein and/or less sugar. My dark chocolate is sweetened with stevia instead of sugar.

I eat beans, gave up most grains. It works for me. I don't feel deprived. If I do, I eat something.
  • alsultan086
    alsultan086 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I once did the Atkin's diet for about a month. For those that are not familiar it is a type of low carb diet. I got results i never believed i could achieve. But like you said I'm struggling to maintain weight let alone stiking to this type of diet. It's like i have this uncontrolable compulsion for sweets in these recent months. That is just my experience.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I congratulate you on lasting this long. For myself, I decided going in that I wasn't going to do anything I considered not sustainable for me.