Don't wanna exercise but want to lose 50 pounds before Christmas.

Options
Exercise is out of the question. I don't have time. But losing the weight without it is so difficult. Any tips?

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen, so you can lose without working out at all. You almost certainly do have some time to work out--just expand your definition and realize that pushups or squats crammed into your day are better than nothing.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think it must be both "diet" and exercise. You DO have time. I sprint up the stairs and down the halls at work in addition to at least 30 minutes a day of additional exercise. I can't believe you cant find 30 minutes. You do not want to.

Either way, I care less about my calories than my carbs and sugars. Limit carbs to around 100 and sugars to as low as you can and you will lose weight by the fistfuls. Im down 24 pounds of fat and 43 to 35 inch waist in the last year. I added 5 pounds of muscle.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    babykins18 wrote: »
    Exercise is out of the question. I don't have time. But losing the weight without it is so difficult. Any tips?

Count your calories.
    Stay in a deficit.

Profit.

You don't have to work out to lose weight. You certainly don't have to low carb, no sugar, salad it up. Just make reasonable food choices, and stay around your calorie goal.

Exercise doesn't have to be hard or miserable though. Find something you enjoy doing - you'll find the time.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is mostly calorie deficit. Many people on MFP loss weight without exercise. Yes, you can lose 50 before Christmas. That should be about 5 lbs per month or a daily deficit of 500 calories or a pound a week.

Track your calories as accurately as you can. Weigh solids, measure liquids.

Eventually make some time for exercise, even if it's only 10-15 minutes a day to start.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Not quoting the rubbish from the poster above me because it's probably going to be deleted but...

^^^So much wrong. OP, please don't contact the salesman.

You don't need exercise to lose weight if you're eating less than you burn. It does mean you don't get to eat as much and may lead to loss of lean muscle mass, or you not being as happy with the finished product as you would be if you'd also worked out (I hate the term 'skinny-fat', but it does have a point - I've been there too). When you say no time, do you really mean it? You don't need hours a day to exercise. A decent walk, getting off a few bus stops early, a bit of a workout video in your living room... it's not that hard to fit in some squats while cooking dinner etc.
  • LoveLiveLife27
    Options
    cut out unhealthy foods and count calories and you might be able to lose that. BTW someone busier then you finds time to workout. You'll either make a way or make an excuse.
  • jenn_zimm
    jenn_zimm Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    raulozzi wrote: »
    @babykins18 simple going into a calorie deficit is not the best way because once you start to eat more you will only gain weight. When you go into a calorie deficit your body will store fat to save and burn as fuel when needed because you arent giving your body what it needs. This causes damage to your metabolism and only makes your body gain weight in the long run. Have you ever thought about adding in meal replacement shakes to your normal diet? They are several available that offer great results and you dont have to exercise. If you are interested feel free to message me and I will be happy to help you choose something that will work for you.

Ugh, such nonsense. I hate that this sales pitch will probably work on someone.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Make the time.

Exercise is not just for weight loss--it is necessary for cardiovascular health, bone health and brain health. Exercise is not a optional part of life.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    @babykins18 simple going into a calorie deficit is not the best way because once you start to eat more you will only gain weight. When you go into a calorie deficit your body will store fat to save and burn as fuel when needed because you arent giving your body what it needs.
    What? One really can't lose fat weight without a calorie deficit.
    This causes damage to your metabolism and only makes your body gain weight in the long run. Have you ever thought about adding in meal replacement shakes to your normal diet? They are several available that offer great results and you dont have to exercise. If you are interested feel free to message me and I will be happy to help you choose something that will work for you.
    Meal replacements don't teach someone how to eat correctly and weight regain is likely to happen because of it. Metabolic damage happens when one severely under/over eats. A moderate calorie deficit won't do that.
    The main drawback of weight loss with no exercise is that weight loss may include more lean muscle loss than one wants to lose along with fat weight. And their body will usually just resemble a smaller version of their current self.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Eat less than you do burn.
    If without exercise this is a very small amount - suck it up if you don't want to squeeze exercise in somewhere. Pick your battles, suffer your consequences.

But suggest that without exercise - you better make it a minor deficit so you keep as much of whatever muscle mass you do have already.
    No need losing what you may have happened to gain from prior life of more activity.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    @babykins18 simple going into a calorie deficit is not the best way because once you start to eat more you will only gain weight. When you go into a calorie deficit your body will store fat to save and burn as fuel when needed because you arent giving your body what it needs. This causes damage to your metabolism and only makes your body gain weight in the long run. Have you ever thought about adding in meal replacement shakes to your normal diet? They are several available that offer great results and you dont have to exercise. If you are interested feel free to message me and I will be happy to help you choose something that will work for you.

No one wants what you're trying to sell, which is against MFP guidelines.