do I have unrealistic goals?

I'm 5'4, 150 lbs and I have a tummy that I need to get rid of for this summer so I can have a healthier looking body. My body stores fat in really stupid places and literally ALL my fat is in my upper body (I have chicken legs but a big belly!!) as a woman it's super frustrating. I was hoping to lose at least 30 lbs by this summer so for the past week I've been eating approx 1250 calories and burning 300-500 at the gym. I've been going to the gym for 2+ weeks. Are my goals unreasonable? What if I don't lose weight because I only do cardio and no resistance training? :( motivation needed!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Your goals are not unreasonable but your weight loss is not based on cardio or weight training. Weight loss is achieved by being in a calorie deficit and exercise is for health. So by the time summer is here you should be close to your goal. You didn't put on 30 pounds in 3.5 months and it is not coming off in this amount either. But you will be closer.

Read these:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Best wishes :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    A good goal would be 1% of your bodyweight for weight loss a week. Under eating doesn't help to excel weight loss properly. While cardio is great exercise, reduction of weight doesn't increase muscle use and most of the time that person just ends up being a smaller version of their current self.
    Consider at least doing some basic strength like push ups, tricep dips, pullups if you can, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    A good goal would be 1% of your bodyweight for weight loss a week.

Not sure where you're getting this from, but I think it's too aggressive for most people. An 120-pound woman trying to lose 10 pounds, for instance, should not expect a weight loss of 1.2 pounds per week. 0.5 per week is more like it.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    segacs wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    A good goal would be 1% of your bodyweight for weight loss a week.

Not sure where you're getting this from, but I think it's too aggressive for most people. An 120-pound woman trying to lose 10 pounds, for instance, should not expect a weight loss of 1.2 pounds per week. 0.5 per week is more like it.

He gave that advice specifically for the OP.
  • greekyogurttt
    greekyogurttt Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you guys so much for the awesome advice and links! I'm definitely at a calorie deficit everyday as well as working out...I know I won't see results overnight but this is just what I needed to hear to keep going! So excited to build up my endurance and be in shape again!! ❤️❤️