Diabetic friendly

Options
Hello all.

New to this but definitely ready, willing and able.

I am looking for any suggestions on nutritional plans that can work with a diabetic lifestyle. I am currently not on any medications and am checking my blood sugars 4x a day. I was on meds for a while but was able to get my A1C down enough to stop taking them. Went from 8.6 to 6.4 in a little over 18 months. I eat whatever I want but I have smaller portions. Looking for a lower carb option (not Atkins or Paleo) that incorporates fresh fruits and vegetables. The plan should be portable and prep friendly. I am a single mother, nurse in a very busy ER, on call 60 hours a month and I am working towards my DNP so my prep and cooking times are limited.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies

• pamital
    pamital Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this too. I'm type 2 and on meds but want to get off this them. I think low carb is the way. I work nightshift so would love some ideas too
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    South Beach and Atkins are low carb/low sugar plans. Also The Diabetes Diet: Dr. Bernstein's Low-Carbohydrate Solution book.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Meal prep is going to be your best option.

As a nurse, you never know when you are going to eat. So you will want to have your food ready to go when you get to take a break.

I'd suggest cooking in bulk things like chicken, green beans, asparagus, brussel sprouts, and any other veggies you like. I also make large batches of brown rice and roasted sweet potatoes.

I chop up raw veggies like carrots, cucumbers, celery, and carrots and store in containers so they are ready when I want to grab a snack.

I love making a large batch of chili and eating it throughout the week. Here's the recipe:

20 oz ground beef or ground turkey
    1 can black beans
    1 large orange bell pepper chopped
    1 small onion chopped
    Chili powder
    Ground pepper
    Salt
    Garlic powder
    1 can diced tomatoes

Brown meat. Add black beans, bell pepper, diced tomatoes, and spices to taste. Simmer on low for 20 minutes or until peppers are soft.

I'd also suggest seeing a registered dietitian if you haven't already.
  • jcarland11
    jcarland11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm actually going to school to be a registered dietitian, graduating this may! It is important for diabetics to have consistent carbs throughout the day. Carbs include fruits, dairy, grains, abd starchy vegetables. Each 15g of carbs is 1 serving so if you have 3 to 4 servings of carbs in the morning you want to have 3 to 4 servings of carbs in the afternoon, at night, and whenever else you crave a snack. This will keep you blood glucose and hgA1c down ! Be sure to check food labels to see how many servings there are. A normal size fruit is usually 1 serving, a slice of bread is 1 serving, and a cup of milk is about a serving of carbs! Hope this helps!
  • wwlosingit
    wwlosingit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Jcarland11
    I was diagnosed as type 2 this week & I was shocked. I eat well, don't have crap in my house. I was told my sugar was 154 & A1C was 7.5. I shopped for sugar free silk milk etc & when my DR called to tell me this I was at work.
    Would you explain the carbs to me.
    Thank you
    Adrienne
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Options
    Chiming in to hear what else is said. My sister was diagnosed in December. She had no idea she was diabetic - just that she had a toe that was looking bad. So now she's working on the eating thing and hoping to get off insulin. I'm anxious for her to get into some classes but trying to help as I can until then. She's been told to eat 600 calories and 3-4 carbs a meal but she's not a big eater. I just thought it was about 150 calories to a carb. It's a learning curve to be sure.
  • cclepew
    cclepew Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    "Each 15g of carbs is 1 serving so if you have 3 to 4 servings of carbs in the morning you want to have 3 to 4 servings of carbs in the afternoon, at night, and whenever else you crave a snack."

That sounds like the outdated American Diabetes Association BS (doesn't stand for Blood Sugar!) standard. Do you honestly have any idea what 45-60g of carbs (3-4 x 15 grams) three times a day will do to a diabetic's blood sugar in the real world? For a person my size, for example, a female 5'5" and around 150 pounds, each gram of carbohydrate raises the blood sugar about 5 points. We're talking a catastrophic jump of 225-300 points at each meal! This kind of eating will NOT keep anyone's blood sugar and A1C down! Ever!

And I'm not criticizing you- I'm criticizing the idea that diabetics need that much carbohydrate. We don't. We just can't process it properly. That's precisely why we're diagnosed with diabetes. That kind of diet keeps people on a horrible roller coaster ride of spike and crash... and the extra medication and insulin needed to control it. And yes, 45-60g of carb per meal is probably a drastic cut for a lot of people... but I'm saying it's still too much for most diabetics. Every diabetic is different, but we do have in common the inability to process carbs like non-diabetics.

I eat a very low carb diet, and I'm able to maintain pretty good control. I eat lots of non-starchy vegetables (carbs that have very little effect on blood sugar) and take a multi-vitamin. I get all the nutrients I need. I know that if my blood sugar is in a normal range, then my brain and cells have enough fuel to work with. If my blood sugar is already high, there's no good reason to eat more carbs, because that'll only make it worse. If my blood sugar is on the low side (rarely if ever), I can eat just enough carb to bring it up to where it's supposed to be. No more, no less.

I highly recommend "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" to all diabetics and those who care for them. I don't go quite so drastic as he recommends, but I'm working towards it. The more I cut carbs, the better I do. The proof is in the testing. :)
  • WebFootFreak
    WebFootFreak Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I had my Diabetic status revoked about 2 weeks ago when I got my A1C down to 5.3%. I have not been on any particular diet plan, however I do follow the basic idea of the food pyramid. I also nixed sodas and other carbonated beverages in favor of water with flavor packets (1packet to 64oz water instead of 16oz) and I rarely go over the carb limit MFP has for me. I also upped my exercise (swim, bike, run, yoga, etc).
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Options
    WebFootFreak, what's the carb limit MFP gives you?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I had my Diabetic status revoked about 2 weeks ago when I got my A1C down to 5.3%. I have not been on any particular diet plan, however I do follow the basic idea of the food pyramid. I also nixed sodas and other carbonated beverages in favor of water with flavor packets (1packet to 64oz water instead of 16oz) and I rarely go over the carb limit MFP has for me. I also upped my exercise (swim, bike, run, yoga, etc).

You can't have your diabetic status revoked. Once you are diabetic, you are diabetic for life. You are simply a diabetic in remission!
  • jcarland11
    Options
    wwlosingit wrote: »
    Jcarland11
    I was diagnosed as type 2 this week & noI was shocked. I eat well, don't have crap in my house. I was told my sugar was 154 & A1C was 7.5. I shopped for sugar free silk milk etc & when my DR called to tell me this I was at work.
    Would you explain the carbs to me.
    Thank you
    Adrienne

I'm so sorry to hear this! Yes I can explain the carbs, you want to make sure you have a consistent amount throughout the day. An easy way to count them is by knowing the exchange list. Fruits have 15 gram (1 serving) in a medium size fruit, a slice bread has 15 g (1 serving), and dairy usually has 12 grams in a cup (almost a serving). Vegetables have the fewest amount of carvs, only 5 grams per serving. Its important to chose carbs choices that are nutritious rather then just sugar. Whole wheat grains are always the best choice along with fruits and veg to provide you with carbs and nutrients other then sugar (fiber). You can find the exact amount of carbs on any food label too but make sure you pay attention to how much of the food you're eating is in one serving. I know some people think that this is outdated but its actually what current dietitians and diabetes educators are teaching everyday to newly diagnosed diabetics. By consuming consistent carbs throughout the day, you're controlling the amount of insulin being released from your pancreas. Also might I add, your brain needs 150 grams of glucose (which comes from carbs) every day for normal brain function so by limiting your carbs to less then that you are damaging your brain! Diabetics are often quick to think that carbs are the enemy but it's really just about being consistent with them and choosing the most nutrient dense choices! And of course everybody is different. If you require less calories depending on height, weight, and age, then yes you would need maybe 10 carbohydrate servings a day versus 15 for someone who is larger/needs more calories. Hope this helped clarify, if not I would definitely suggest seeking a registered dietitian to help you with meal planning !!

• jcarland11
    Options

arobed53 wrote: »
    Chiming in to hear what else is said. My sister was diagnosed in December. She had no idea she was diabetic - just that she had a toe that was looking bad. So now she's working on the eating thing and hoping to get off insulin. I'm anxious for her to get into some classes but trying to help as I can until then. She's been told to eat 600 calories and 3-4 carbs a meal but she's not a big eater. I just thought it was about 150 calories to a carb. It's a learning curve to be sure.

1 serving of carbs is 15 grams and each gram is 4 calories so that's 60 carb calories per serving of carbohydrate. Therefore, if she needs 600 calories a meal, that's 180 to 240 calories from carbohydrates. The other 420 to 360 calories would be from fat or protein!
  • nicepurple
    nicepurple Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I thought having brown rice & whole wheat bread would have better carbs & having brown or black sugar is better than white sugar?
  • cclepew
    Options
    "your brain needs 150 grams of glucose (which comes from carbs) every day for normal brain function so by limiting your carbs to less then that you are damaging your brain!"

No. Just no.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    cclepew wrote: »
    "your brain needs 150 grams of glucose (which comes from carbs) every day for normal brain function so by limiting your carbs to less then that you are damaging your brain!"

No. Just no.

It would be funny if it wasn't keeping people sick and dependent on drugs.

• macbikegeek
    macbikegeek Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The carbs from whole grains and from sugars and white flour and other such are all just carbs. The reasons for reducing or eliminating sugar and especially high fructose corn syrup and eating whole grains are related to nutrition and not the carbs per se.
  • cclepew
    Options
    nicepurple wrote: »
    I thought having brown rice & whole wheat bread would have better carbs & having brown or black sugar is better than white sugar?

Carbs are carbs. White, brown. Simple, complex. They will all raise your blood sugar. White rice and white bread will definitely raise it more than brown rice and whole wheat bread will... but you may find that it's such a small difference that it's not worth eating bread and rice at all.

That said, every diabetic is a little different in how they process different foods. For example, one person could eat a bowl of oatmeal and have just a small rise in their blood sugar; for me, even a small amount of oatmeal (one of the ADA's so-called diabetic superfoods... ha!) makes my blood sugar skyrocket. And there are surely things I can eat that others can't. The only way to know is to test your blood sugar before and after meals and see how different foods affect you. Read this for more on testing strategically: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php