Noticing a lot slower weight loss now?

Options
jjasmelon
jjasmelon Posts: 101
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
It's been exactly a month since i stuck to a calorie limit daily (started off at 1500 calories for the first 2 weeks then dropped it to 1200 calories) i have lost 9 pounds in total so far. I started at 187.6 pounds & now am at 178.6 pounds. am happy with the amount i've lost as i have never been this low in weight. My goal weight is around 130 pounds

but, this week I noticed I only lost 1 pound, even with the 1200 calorie daily limit. Is it normal to start seeing a slower weight loss? or am i hitting a plateau?

I am a female, 5ft 4 & nearly 19 yrs old. I go to the gym roughly 3-4 times a week doing cardio and strength training.

I do weigh most of my food accurately.

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Most women retain water around the time their period is due - for many this shows as a GAIN in scale weight, for others it shows as a stall, and others simply see a smaller loss than expected, so that's always a possibility. Additionally, weight loss is not linear and probably the majority of your initial losses were water weight, as that's the first thing that goes when you begin to restrict calories. What you're seeing now in the more gradual losing is more actual fat than water, which is a good thing.
  • janetedmondson
    janetedmondson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm really over weight, I managed to lose 13lb last month but I stopped losing for a week or so. I just hung on in there and continued with the 1200 calories per day and my normal exercise routine, which at the moment is a short run and lots of walking and I have now lost a further two pounds. Remember you will be gaining muscle and make sure you are properly hydrated, slow and steady wins the race :)
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    9lb is a fantastic loss in a month - well done. Now your body would like a bit of a break from it - it doesn't like losing! Your pattern is completely normal, yes. I would raise those calories up to 1500 and accept that a pound a week is going to be an excellent rate of loss and even half a pound is good. Slow and steady is the best way.
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use the phrase "Only lost a pound." Dude, that's a lot of weight to lose in a week, count yourself lucky. A lot of people don't lose that in three weeks. You should just be proud you lost another pound instead of marginalizing it like that. A half a pound to a pound a week is considered a pretty good rate of loss, especially for someone your weight.

But yes, it is typical for weight loss to slow down the smaller you get. You have less to lose, so it's not going to just go flying off your body like it did before. It's also common for the body to retain water due to a new exercise regimen. Just be patient and always be proud of any loss you achieve. I often don't see the scale go down for two or three weeks in a row, but I don't let it deter me. It always ends up moving in the right direction eventually.

You might want to start measuring, as this is a more accurate way of telling how your body is changing. Sometimes the pounds stay the same but the inches are decreasing.
  • jjasmelon
    Options
    Thank you all! very helpful information :) will take it on board.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Yes- I think I lost something like 4 pounds the first week and 3 the second week and after that it's been anywhere from .5 pounds to 1.5 per week. The last couple of months it's slowed down even more and I have gone to weighing every two weeks instead of once a week because a loss of .2-.4 per week can be rather discouraging. But yes, a slow down is normal AND good. Just keep your food and exercise consistent for the most part and you will see a downward trend.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The weight you lost the first couple weeks was more water weight than fat. A pound a week is actually a fantastic rate of loss, so you're doing things right!
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    The real issue here is the amount of calories you are consuming going forward. At your current weight you can lose a much healthier 1-2 pounds per week consuming FAR more calories than you are now.

You are GROSSLY under eating.

Only eating 1200 calories is the reason you are losing more slowly now. Your body has adapted, and as such you'll need to continue to lower calories in order to keep seeing results. This is referred to as metabolic adaptation, or as some would call it "starvation mode" when you eventually stop losing all together.

What you actually need to do is calculate your TDEE and figure out a more manageable amount to eat that will allow you to lose FAT, not MUSCLE (from losing too fast) and go from there.

Try this link for a good point to start from regarding calories; http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • jjasmelon
    Options
    JossFit wrote: »
    The real issue here is the amount of calories you are consuming going forward. At your current weight you can lose a much healthier 1-2 pounds per week consuming FAR more calories than you are now.

You are GROSSLY under eating.

Only eating 1200 calories is the reason you are losing more slowly now. Your body has adapted, and as such you'll need to continue to lower calories in order to keep seeing results. This is referred to as metabolic adaptation, or as some would call it "starvation mode" when you eventually stop losing all together.

What you actually need to do is calculate your TDEE and figure out a more manageable amount to eat that will allow you to lose FAT, not MUSCLE (from losing too fast) and go from there.

Try this link for a good point to start from regarding calories; http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Oh, i didn't realise, thank you for the information. Will use calculator and make adjustments. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    The weight you lost the first couple weeks was more water weight than fat. A pound a week is actually a fantastic rate of loss, so you're doing things right!

This- also, what do you mean you weigh most things? Weigh everything.
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    my weight slowed through january and then picked up again this week. it always goes up and down with the rate of loss and the time of month certainly doesnt help. keep pushing when i have no or little loss it makes me want to push harder than i have gone before!