Riding an ATV.... Calories burned??? Anyone know?

Options
My husband and I went out on Saturday and rode our ATV's in the deep icy snow for about 2 and a half hours.... We are sore from fighting to get through the snow.... I was just wondering if anyone knew how many calories are burned riding an ATV.

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I have heard 100-200 calories per hour, but don't know for sure.
    I never log it as exercise though.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log that as exercise. You were sitting moving your arms occaisionally to turn. Do you log driving in your car?
  • AmysBoxers
    AmysBoxers Posts: 15 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MamaRiss wrote: »
    I wouldn't log that as exercise. You were sitting moving your arms occaisionally to turn. Do you log driving in your car?
    We dont sit.... we live in the mountains and I stand most of the time. It can be a chore to keep your butt on the seat, so lazily sitting we definetly weren't
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Still wouldn't log it. If it isn't dedicated exercise, it should be covered by your activity level.
  • AmysBoxers
    Options
  • AmysBoxers
    Options
    MamaRiss wrote: »
    Still wouldn't log it. If it isn't dedicated exercise, it should be covered by your activity level.

Not loggin it. I dont log exercise... I was just curious
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Agreed, don't log it. You're likely to overestimate the amount of calories burned and i don't think thats worth it.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Sounds like strength training! Oh, and I rode snowmobile one time in deep snow, hanging on the back of a dare-devil driver. I was so very sore for several days afterwards, using muscles I didn't even know were there!
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I just ran across this thread because I have this problem. I am logging ATV riding in Fitbit because my riding gave me 20,000 steps and almost 200 floors of elevation gain in just a couple hours. I have to log SOMETHING to override those steps. There is no way this is sedentary . . . anyone who has ridden hard on a mountain trail for 2 hours will tell you that! There is a LOT of leaning and moving and twisting and turning. (I'm not talking about just cruising down a dirt road . . . I'm talking about technical trail riding) From what your body feels like afterward, I think it's akin to light weight lifting. I think the 100-200 calories per hour sounds about right; I'm going to use it.
  • chacer1221
    chacer1221 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am JUST leaving Colorado after ATVing in the mountains for 5 days. It is definitely not a sit and stare out the window type of trip. Lots of moving, standing up and turning to maneuver down the really tough rocky paths. I would agree 100-200 calories per hour.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you were my age, height and weight it would be over 300 calories close to 400 maybe 500. calories for two and a half hours. That being said I burn 100 calories an hour sitting on my couch not moving anything.. so it just might be 500 calories
  • mcsepich
    mcsepich Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here is a site that I found that actually tested with a heart rate monitor what the accurate calorie burn would be per hour.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=1928279

"So, I have been wondering how many calories I burn riding my ATV in the dunes so I bought a heart rate monitor (Polar F6) and tested it out while on vacation at Glamis, Ca.

I ride pretty aggressive so these results are based on 60 minutes of aggressive riding. I took out the time spent stationary (watching races, taking water break, etc) and it averages 400-450 calories per hour. Also, it's about 85 degrees here (March-April) and I am wearing full riding gear (helmet, riding pants, gloves, jersey, etc). Since I can't do my daily gym routine out here in the desert I needed to stay on track and just HAD to know the calories burned. It was worth the investment (about $100.00). "
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I would equate it to horseback riding, trotting. Anyone who rides English, posting the trot or half seat, knows the pain. You never see fat professional equestrians.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    mcsepich wrote: »
    Here is a site that I found that actually tested with a heart rate monitor what the accurate calorie burn would be per hour.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=1928279

"So, I have been wondering how many calories I burn riding my ATV in the dunes so I bought a heart rate monitor (Polar F6) and tested it out while on vacation at Glamis, Ca.

I ride pretty aggressive so these results are based on 60 minutes of aggressive riding. I took out the time spent stationary (watching races, taking water break, etc) and it averages 400-450 calories per hour. Also, it's about 85 degrees here (March-April) and I am wearing full riding gear (helmet, riding pants, gloves, jersey, etc). Since I can't do my daily gym routine out here in the desert I needed to stay on track and just HAD to know the calories burned. It was worth the investment (about $100.00). "
    @mcsepich
    That is a completely inappropriate use of a HRM and so the calorie results are worthless. Much of the increased HR would be from getting hot.
    They wasted their $100.