Heart Rate Monitors

FloridaGranny
FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
Who has some experience with Heart Rate Monitors (HRM)? I just started using one a month ago and had one that did not include the chest strap. It wasn't working right so I exchanged it for a better on that uses the chest strap. I am finding the one with the chest strap seems to be more accurate - but - it says I am burning LESS calories. Is it because it is a truer reading and before I reallty wasn't burning 800 calories in my workouts?

109006.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• FloridaGranny
    Who has some experience with Heart Rate Monitors (HRM)? I just started using one a month ago and had one that did not include the chest strap. It wasn't working right so I exchanged it for a better on that uses the chest strap. I am finding the one with the chest strap seems to be more accurate - but - it says I am burning LESS calories. Is it because it is a truer reading and before I reallty wasn't burning 800 calories in my workouts?

109006.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    Did you calibrate it to "your" stats, or just use the general numbers it gives you for your age, weight, hr, etc.?
    I wore mine for 24 hours when I first got it, too, to see what it said my BMR was. I agree, the chest strap type HRM seems to be more conservative, perhaps because you are in better shape than you thought, and it takes you more effort to get your hr up to a high enough level to be burning a lot of calories. There are forums for them, too, on the websites of the different brands. I don't understand all that mine does, even though I've used it quite a bit.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    If you've got your stats programmed into it, then it's given you as true a reading as you'll get. How long are your work-outs? What are you doing in them? I know that my "standard" burn is 450-600 calories an hour if I keep my HR up about 75% of max HR.
  • FloridaGranny
    I calibrated it to my OWNZONE. All my exercises are coming in quite a bit lower than the other non-chest type HRM. For instance, I did the P90X Ab Ripper for 16 min. (complete program) and it said only 61 calories burned. The older HRM was reading 250 calorie range...... Yesterday I did the P90X Plyometrics and it said only 406 calories burned; the other HRM was around 800 calories burned. Perhaps I was in false readings all along with older HRM...

I'm in my INZONE range and even above it in the HARD range.....

thanks for your comments......
  • FloridaGranny
    Do you have the chest band type? I'm exercising at least an hour a day. Sometimes more depending on which program I'm doing........

Thanks,
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    The kind that doesn't use the chest band isn't going to be accurate, so ignore those numbers and go with the one you're using now.

I use a Polar F6, which has the chest band.
  • mags06
    mags06 Posts: 29
    Where can I get a HRM? And what kind is the best?
  • Does anyone else have the chest strap move around? Maybe mine isn't tight enough. One time it went up below my bra strap while working out, and the reading got mixed up.
  • mimielle
    mimielle Posts: 44 Member
    It should be pretty tight and it shouldn't move when you're working out. I wear mine under my sports bra below your breasts...
  • drtamm
    drtamm Posts: 427
    Okay I need help! I want an HRM for christmas... can anyone suggest one that is accurate and affordable. Thanks a million! I have lost 22 lbs and I just want to keep it up!

Thanks again
    Happy holidays

:happy:
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Get a Polar. They have lots of models so pick one with the functions you need.
  • I've been considering a HRM but isn't the band as annoying as all get out?
  • I have been working out with a heart rate monitor (Reebok Precision XT, with a strap) for about 3 months. I have found that when I the heart rate monitor seems to be pretty accurate according to the personal trainers where I exercise. The gym pushes Polar, but the trainers seem to feel that the one I have is accurate as well. Your new monitor with a strap is probably accurate if you are wearing it at the bottom of the sternum and it is on tight, and you have programmed your weight, age, height, gender and exercise level. PS--to get a good bang for your buck, try to keep your heart rate around 119 while doing cardio.
  • Reebok Precision XT is pretty affordable. Not as glamourous as a Polar, but it does the job.
This discussion has been closed.