Help me get past this muscle weighs more stage

Options
2»

Replies

• Seeyoubabyweight
    Seeyoubabyweight Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I'm learning more every day thanks to this. I am not weighing my food, but I know my intake is the same as last month so I'm not too concerned about it being me cutting corners yet.
    Hopefully it's just the water from repairs, I just have to stay off the scale until March and stick to my plan. .5 isint really something to worry about, but I'm terrified to see it start going up again whe I'm still motivayed.

<sigh>

heres-your-sign.jpg

HINT: You know no such thing. You CAN'T know.

Wow thank you so much for making my new weight loss journey and this community such a welcoming and comfortable place to learn.

Thank you for those who have offered helpful advice. I think I just need some patience, which after last months success is harder. I have learned my assumption that working the muscle meant I was gaining some was wrong so I need to reasses that thinking.

I have always just estimated food intake with success, however if I am still stalled for March I will look into a scale.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I'm learning more every day thanks to this. I am not weighing my food, but I know my intake is the same as last month so I'm not too concerned about it being me cutting corners yet.
    Hopefully it's just the water from repairs, I just have to stay off the scale until March and stick to my plan. .5 isint really something to worry about, but I'm terrified to see it start going up again whe I'm still motivayed.

<sigh>

heres-your-sign.jpg

Wow thank you so much for making my new weight loss journey and this community such a welcoming and comfortable place to learn.

Thank you for those who have offered helpful advice. I think I just need some patience, which after last months success is harder. I have learned my assumption that working the muscle meant I was gaining some was wrong so I need to reasses that thinking.

I have always just estimated food intake with success, however if I am still stalled for March I will look into a scale.

So you are willing to basically waste time for another month if you stall out? I am so confused.

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    You're upset about a half of a pound?

Your problem is your expectations. Weight loss is not linear. You won't see a consistent drop on the scale every week. That's just not how it works.

Your weight will go up, it'll go down. Your body weight fluctuates 2-5lbs throughout the day. 2-5lbs for one day!! Half a pound is meaningless.

With so little to lose (you have 5-20lbs depending on your goals that you stated), you shouldn't be aiming for a 1lb a week loss. You should reset your goal to 0.5 lbs a week and make sure you're weighing all of your food.

The last few pounds are the hardest to lose. You need to be diligent in your logging and portions (meaning weighing them). You also need to have realistic expectations, meaning that you understand that your body weight will fluctuate and you need to just keep plugging away at it.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You're upset about a half of a pound?

Your problem is your expectations. Weight loss is not linear. You won't see a consistent drop on the scale every week. That's just not how it works.

Your weight will go up, it'll go down. Your body weight fluctuates 2-5lbs throughout the day. 2-5lbs for one day!! Half a pound is meaningless.

With so little to lose (you have 5-20lbs depending on your goals that you stated), you shouldn't be aiming for a 1lb a week loss. You should reset your goal to 0.5 lbs a week and make sure you're weighing all of your food.

The last few pounds are the hardest to lose. You need to be diligent in your logging and portions (meaning weighing them). You also need to have realistic expectations, meaning that you understand that your body weight will fluctuate and you need to just keep plugging away at it.

also a very good response, thumbs up

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

<sigh>

heres-your-sign.jpg

You can't lose weight without honesty.

You are being dishonest with yourself, and with us, stating you "know" something that you can't possibly know.

This isn't about "feel goodies" and I don't particularly care about your comfort or your welcome.

Do you want to lose weight or not?

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

<sigh>

heres-your-sign.jpg

You can't lose weight without honesty.

You are being dishonest with yourself, and with us, stating you "know" something that you can't possibly know.

This isn't about "feel goodies" and I don't particularly care about your comfort or your welcome.

Do you want to lose weight or not?

Well it's clear that OP is just not ready yet.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Wait, wait. If this exercise is new, your muscles are swollen with extra water. This will stop happening in a month or so. If at that point weight is going up or not budging, *then* you will probably have to adjust your food intake.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    It's been a little over a week since you've started Feb 1. It's more than likely just water retention from a change in your resistance training. The body stores more water and glycogen in the anticipation that the body is going to continue to utilize higher energy output.
    A plateau in weight loss is 6 weeks or more of no weight movement WHILE being consistent with diet and exercise. So you're not even close right now.
    Just continue and don't be so impatient. The 10lbs loss you had last month is what you're gauging success on and weight loss ISN'T linear. If you can't handle the numbers and live and die by the scale, then toss the scale out. Really. Because the reality is is that if you looked the way you wanted, fit the clothes you wanted to buy, and people are complementary of your physique, then does what the scale really say matter that much?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    -With the exception of newbie gains, you are not going to build muscle in a deficit. It takes a lot of work and a surplus to have real muscle gains.
    -Without weighing your consumption, you have no idea what you're really eating.
    -It's normal when introducing a new exercise program, to retain water.
    -Finally (most important), keep doing what you're doing, cuz 10 pounds is awesome!
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem right now, and yes it can test your resolve a lot!

Just found an article on webmd which might help out...

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/stuck-on-a-plateau