Losing weight in a relatively short period of time

Options
I would like some advice on trying to lose 30 pounds in the next 3-4 months. I keep going from 165-175.. and back agai and this seems to be the norm for me never above or below those numbers. I am 175 now, about 5'7 and a half. I eat very well, and i'm very concious about my calorie intake and healthy choices, I'd say I may have a problem with portion control and weekends! (usually fall off the wagon on the weekends) and i'm tired of being uncomfortable with my body, i'd love to feel confident this summer. Any suggestions on exercise routines as well as frequency and meal plans? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Stay in a calorie deficit add a little cardio and lift heavy for you. Have self control on the weekends because this is not helping you. You need to refocus your efforts!!
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    As far as suggestions on exercise - I'd seriously look at rowing as in a row machine. Concept 2. Total game changer for me.
  • kaylacarol1989
    kaylacarol1989 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Stay in a calorie deficit add a little cardio and lift heavy for you. Have self control on the weekends because this is not helping you. You need to refocus your efforts!!

Can you tell me a bit mroe about staying calorie defictit?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well since you want to look good for exercise I would suggest lifting weights.

Portion control; get a food scale and learn what portions really are.

Gonna have to get your weekends under control as well, its a common mistake to have a great deficit all week long and then blow it over the weekend. Its a cycle that will get you stuck in place.
  • misskarihari
    misskarihari Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Read the sticky posts in this forum.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Set a reasonable calorie deficit - 1lb/week MAX and when you get closer to your goal adjust it to 0.5lb/week.

Will power/determination to stay within your calorie goal.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

You eat below your maintenance calories.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

read this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options

read this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

YES YES YES!!!! READ IT!!!
  • kaylacarol1989
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Forget it. Think more 6 months at a pound a week. Set a deficit and stick to it.

That simple.

When i watched what i ate and walked for an hour everday after work when the weather was nice, i dropped about 10 lbs in a month.... without depriving or starving myself, this is why i think my time frame is very reasonable to do so with 30-50 minutes of exercise 5 days a week, i was looking more for suggestions on exercie (tredmil, elliptical, weights...) and specific meal plans people stuck to, as a general idea for me to take into account.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Start with this post on MFP: A Guide to get you started...

It will help you understand everything you need to know.

Second, grab some friends (add posters who write things you agree with) and find others to help keep you going on your journey.

Third, log everything you eat and all the exercise you do

Fourth, don't fret - everyone here has been through, is going through (some of us more than once), and we all have our ups and downs. Relax, enjoy the friendship and keep working on your goals.

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    for long term success you really need to learn about and understand things like TDEE and how to know what is in the food you are eating and how it affects your results. Specific meal plans only work as long as you follow them, then when you stop you are back to square one.

read the sexy pants thread posted above
    Check out Scoobys calculator and read a little about TDEE
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/

Educate yourself, don't just follow differnt plans like a sheep, you will not regret it, I promise.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options

read this:

YES YES YES!!!! READ IT!!!

+1
  • lishie_rebooted
    edited February 2015
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Forget it. Think more 6 months at a pound a week. Set a deficit and stick to it.

That simple.

When i watched what i ate and walked for an hour everday after work when the weather was nice, i dropped about 10 lbs in a month.... without depriving or starving myself, this is why i think my time frame is very reasonable to do so with 30-50 minutes of exercise 5 days a week, i was looking more for suggestions on exercie (tredmil, elliptical, weights...) and specific meal plans people stuck to, as a general idea for me to take into account.

You were probably not eating an appropriate calorie amount since you were "watching what you ate" and not actually logging.

30lb/3month = 10lb/month, And as you get closer to your goal, its going to slow down. And also weight loss isn't linear so you aren't going to lose every week.
    I'm about your height and the healthy weight range is about 120-160 (rounding a little bit since you're a little taller than I am).
    You're only 15lbs over the high healthy weight for your height.
    A healthy weight loss for the amount you want to lose is 1lb/week. Which is 4lb/month which means it's going to take at least 6 months, maybe longer.

You don't want to lose muscle. Which is why we're saying to lose 1lb/week.

As for exercise, resistance training to preserve your muscle and whatever cardio exercise you like.

ETA: OP, you and I are of similar height, same age, and when I started here 3 years ago, I had the same goal. you're welcome to add me if you'd like.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your weekends are what's causing the problem. It can be tough but you have to try to plan your eating and treat them like you would a weekday. Only you can come up with a plan as only you know why this continues to occur. If you can't completely control your intake (like going out to eat or wanting an extra glass of wine or two) then you need to include some exercise in order to earn the extra calories needed for these indulgences.

And yes, read the threads posted above. Set a reasonable goal and stick to it. There are no particular meal plans or exercise plan that will work better than good old balance of calories in vs calories out.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why the timeline?

• kaylacarol1989
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Why the timeline?

Pool season in june lol
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Low carb diet, quit drinking. Quick fix to drop weight in a hurry.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Low carb diet, quit drinking. Quick fix to drop weight in a hurry.

However that's not particularly sustainable for the long-term. A lot of people like to imbibe and its stupid to give up something you enjoy just to lose weight. Its about finding a balance and still enjoying booze or whatever
  • kaylacarol1989
    Options
    I also failed to mention i was on anti-depressants recently which i belived hiked my weight up from 168-177 in a matter of a month, since i stopped taking them lesss than a week ago i've gone down 2 lbs, i belive they caused "munchies" and water retention... which in all honesty was just making me more depressed and constantly exhausted. Trying to spike my energy back up!