Any tips for making wardrobe last as you're losing?

Options

Replies

• TOBEADIME
    TOBEADIME Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ask your friends to let you raid their pile of too big/too small clothes, every girl has one, you know the bag that is sitting in the bottom of your closet, sometimes I get ambitious and it makes it to the trunk of my car, but somehow ends up back in the house. I'll bet if you ask around at least one of your friends will be able to help
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I need to dress up for work each day and had nothing to wear. Right now there are some good sales going on and I just got back from shopping. 70% to 80% off on some of the pieces I got. Not really in love with them but I don't want to spend a ton of money on clothes that are going to be too big in a few months.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    TOBEADIME wrote: »
    Ask your friends to let you raid their pile of too big/too small clothes, every girl has one, you know the bag that is sitting in the bottom of your closet, sometimes I get ambitious and it makes it to the trunk of my car, but somehow ends up back in the house. I'll bet if you ask around at least one of your friends will be able to help

Great idea! My friends gave me a bag of clothes to get me through.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I found some great jeans at thrift stores when I was in between sizes. Saved me a lot of money and got me through.
  • AshC1023
    AshC1023 Posts: 109
    Options
    I re-tailor my favorites. Though most of my favorite jeans are just now getting where I can get them back on without having a muffin top. Shirts are super easy to re-sew.
    That or I hit up thrift stores, which I usually do for jeans anyway. I can't stand skinny jeans, especially the pegged ankles, so happy to go find out of style boot cuts.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I am having a similar issue. At first it wasn't a problem, I needed new clothes so I bought a size or two smaller but now I have clothes in good condition that are getting looser.

Not a problem when I'm just sitting around at home in a giant tshirt and short but when my jeans have enough space to fit 4-5 arms in side as well I think I have an issue.

Someone start a business where you can hire clothes for 2 months :)
  • dbradyphd
    Options
    I would definitely recommend having items tailored. It is much cheaper than purchasing new. There are a lot of tutorials for refashioning items if you're crafty too. Check pinterest or google re-fashioned sweaters.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Merkavar, that's really a great idea! How about a swap shop sort of thing? You post the size you need, and people reply with what they have to offer? People I know exchange books and plants/seeds that way; why not clothes?
  • Th3Admiral
    Options
    Yoga pants, tights, skirts, dresses, and if you're really ambitious, get to know a sewing machine. Alterations on most shirts/dresses/skirts are pretty simple once you get the hang of it.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    +1 on the sewing machine.

Buy a few staples each season to tide you over. And save the big shopping trip for when you reach goal weight.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Dresses will definitely get you the biggest bang for your buck! I can still wear ones from 50 pounds ago and they remain flattering.

Shirts typically work for awhile, so I try to add 5-10 every 3-5 months and rotate out whstever is far too big.

Pants definitely drop the fastest. I tend to go to Old Navy when they have 40% sales and stock down 1-2 sizes. I only buy 2 pairs in each size, supplementing with yoga pants that seem to last a few more sizes.
  • heyhey2015
    heyhey2015 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Resale shops and thrifting are fun. As you go down, sell back what you bought at resale. Its not much money, but its less expensive and they get a lot of name brand items. From your own closet, knits can be belted, jeans are tough once you go 2 sizes down. Looks Luke good advice all the comments through.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    havent read all the replies so sorry if this is a repeat, but Goodwill, or othe secondhand stores, will save you! You can get entirely new wardrobes for a fraction of the cost!
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    On a side note. If you have bras that are only lightly used and no longer fit donate them at Soma. They have a great bra recycling program. Plus I love their bras and undies, expensive so not for weightloss in betweens but once you reach your goal I highly recommend them.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

I'm wearing belts now which I haven't done in quite awhile, but that is almost to the point where smaller pants are needed. I'll try the thrift store, but honestly with being tall and big, my choices are very limited. May just have to switch to skirts with leggings. Not many shirts are really long on me even if they are supposed to be because of the style.

For shirts, I do sew and very soon I'll need to start doing some altering. I wear a lot of now way too big t-shirts that blow in the wind if I step outside. I saw something on pinterest about putting some darts in the front to help tailor them. I do have some patterns for swim tops that I may make into some bras with some stretchy material. I've had to dig into my box of bras purchased over the years that didn't fit and only have 1 or 2 that work for now with limited success. They are better than the ones I had to throw out that were popping off when I moved lol (the adjustments in public were quite embarrassing but happy at the same time knowing I've lost). I'm too large up top for sports bras, so.....
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Dont be afraid to try on, pin, and then side seam if you have a machine. Dont cut the garment until you tried it with the new tighter side seams though! Altering is a process of trial and error. Look for the seams that are easiest. Things like complex dresses and jackets need pulling apart and most seams bringing in. Not easy but once you've done a few confidence builds.

Skirts can be re made by entirely chopping off the waistband and creating a drawstring style seamed fold.

As you lose weight bringing up the hemline is a good idea especially if you want to show off your lovely new pins!
  • Annabear3
    Annabear3 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    First off, way to go on needing new pants! sucks for your wallet, but it sure feels good when your clothes stop fitting. For me, I gave up the jeans and just got some leggings and stretch pants from Walmart and Old Navy. I decided during the transitions, I'm sticking to the cheap stuff with elastic that will shrink with me. Since they cost about $10 each, I could replace a weeks worth of pants for not too much and they've lasted me a while.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,629 Member
    Options
    My wife had the same issue after losing 30lbs on her small frame. She just bought new clothes and gave the old ones to her female cousins who are her previous size.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Nessa_the_Wild
    Options
    Leggings and dresses for me.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Have np with buying in secondhand stores...but for sure i wont buy at Goodwills. The volunteers dont get payed.
    They get their goods for free and make millions The owner(s) of Goodwills are stinking rich.
    So something principal of me to not buy there at all.