Any girls here into powerlifting/Weightlifting?

Options
hello!
I haven't been on myfitnesspal for just under a year. Last time I was here I had just started lifting, and barely anyone else was! I've been lifting for over a year, and now I'm losing weight (lost 7lbs since middle December), I am finding my strength is wavering. So I'm clocking my cals to make sure my macros are spot on, hopefully I'll be able to keep getting stronger while losing fat!

Stats:
Squat: 85kg 5x5 (around 97.5 1RM)
Bench: 47.5kg 1x5 (around 52.5 1RM)
Deadlift: 105kg 1RM

Replies

• Marxytron
    Options
    Not a girl but keep it up!!!
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I haven't started yet, but I just finished reading NRoL4W - I upgraded my gym membership yesterday so I can start this week!
    Well done on the weightloss and good luck with getting your issue sorted.
    Regards,
    Icey
  • JennSomers
    Options
    I've been using Strong Lifts off and on for a year, working to get back on track of 3 times/week so I can start making gains. I love lift day! I struggle to figure out the right calorie intake on weight days. I try to stick to 40/30/30 (carb/fat/protein), MFP helps with that. I just bought the Fitbit Charge HR to try and better track my fitness output and push myself a bit harder.

Love lifting!!

As of today;
    Squat 5x5 150lbs
    Bench 5x5 80lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 175lbs

-Jenn
  • CTHOMPSON05
    Options
    Jenn- let me know if it's any good!! Love stronglifts, had to swap over recently, been messing around with different programmes. Tried madcow, and now looking at Wendlers! 5/3/1 x
  • HannahEatsLiftsLives
    Options
    Hey! I've just started a new mfp account because i'm cutting for my first powerlifting comp (hence the name haha!) your numbers are amazing, especially considering you are losing - keep it up!!! I did some 1RMs a couple of weeks ago (85kg squat, 52.5kg bench, 105kg deadlift) and I'm now into strength phase, 9 weeks out. I have about 6kgs to lose to get into my weight class (57kg) so seriously hoping to maintain as much muscle as possible! Han x
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Do you mean competing in powerlifting/weightlifting?
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for about a year from home, I just joined a powerlifting gym so that I can go heavier, since I am limited at home by equipment and safety. This gym also does strongman training and competitions. Actually looking forward to that.
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am not a power lifter, but I do lift, and lift heavy at least once a week. My heavy lifting is typically lower body, as I love squats and deadlifts. Plus I feel I can do it safely on my own.

I love it when I get a great heavy lifting in because we all have those days where we hit the weights and don't feel like we are doing anything. I have had to build my upper body for figure competitions. Having a trainer helped me build up but having that challenge of doing it myself also pushed me.

Good luck and keep it up!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting (with a bar) for just under a year. I've been using 5/3/1 for something like 20 weeks. My 1RM on squat is 140lbs, bench 90lbs, and deadlift 215lbs. I prefer 5/3/1 set/rep scheme to 5x5 at these weights. I feel like it is easier for me to tackle the heavy weights psychological if my goal is only 1 rep!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Not a girl (I'm a woman) but yes.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I JUST restarted StrongLifts after having knee surgery in November so my weights are still really low but I love doing it and i loved the results I got last time!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I'm a competitive powerlifter and love it. Currently working to build max strength for provincials in July, although I'll be competing at least a couple times before then. I use custom programming, and my current cycle is intense!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't compete but I'm a powerlifter- as in - yes- I train- and I run intermediate/advanced type programming.

Love it- just wish I was better at it LOL

Id' like to compete at some point- but right now it's just an unnecessary expense. I pay to pick things up at my gym- I don't need to pay for someone to tell me I did it well or not. But I'd like to ;)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Marxytron wrote: »
    Not a girl but keep it up!!!

WAT?
  • ambarsch
    ambarsch Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started lifting about two years ago. A good friend who is a Physique competitor in WNBF shared one of her early programs with me. I've added about 8lbs of muscle and reduced my overall body fat % more than my distance running ever did. The strength I've gained is amazing. It's fun when I follow a guy on a machine and I have to add weights, particularly with the leg press. Don't skip leg day people! Lol!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I don't compete but I'm a powerlifter- as in - yes- I train- and I run intermediate/advanced type programming.

Love it- just wish I was better at it LOL

Id' like to compete at some point- but right now it's just an unnecessary expense. I pay to pick things up at my gym- I don't need to pay for someone to tell me I did it well or not. But I'd like to ;)[/b]I

That's the part that defines a powerlifter. Running intermediate or advanced programs isn't. That being said, I can't recommend competing enough. You learn a lot about yourself that way.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Love weight lifting! 5X5 Strong Lifts is definitely my fave go to!

My PR's are
    Bench - 115 for 3 reps
    Squat - 165 for 3 reps
    Deadlift - 225 for 1 rep :s
  • jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for about 1.5 years. Its slow going due to issues I have with my joints and back but I'm getting there.

PB's
    Deadlift 100kg (1RM)
    Strict Shoulder Press 22kg (1RM)
    Push Shoulder Press 29kg (1RM)
    Back Squat 55kg (1RM)
    Front Squat 30kg (5 x 5) just started doing these still working on technique

I love lifting weights I enjoy it way more than cardio which I suffer through as I know I need to do it for other things I want to enjoy. As my PT says being fit and weak or strong and unfit are pointless compared to being strong and fit.

I do need to sort out my eating though, I'm always so hungry after weights session which when I'm still trying to eat at a deficit albeit a smallish one is difficult
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I do Wendler's 5/3/1 . Would be interested in taking the first steps toward competing but don't have the money to work with a coach.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Stronglifts for about 4 months now. Just signed up for a meet in May. No coach, just a husband with a bit more faith in me than I have sometimes. :-)

Feel free to add me as a friend!