Looking for advice on combining running with other exercise...

Options
Hi,

I've had a very long break from running and have recently started back up (since New Year). I was barely able to run 2 miles at the start but last week I cleared 15.55 miles, with my longest run at 5.45 miles and my average page at 10:03 minutes a mile. I've very proud of this achievment so far, and combined with a healthy diet and some other exercise 11lbs and 2 inches off my waist.

But...the "other exercise". I don't want to just run BUT it is my main exercise and I really enjoy it. Aside from running, I am walking (about 14 miles a week), weight training (mostly arms, light weights, twice a week for 30 minutes a session), yoga (twice a week for 30 minutes) and pilates (twice a week for 30 minutes). I do all my "other exercises" on two non-running days, Monday and Thursday. Tuesday is rest day. I run the other 4 days.

I would love some advice from a fitness buff or two on whether I'm doing things well or not when it comes to fitness as frankly, I have no idea. Diet, fine. I can work that out but exercise has not been my strong point and I do have a lot to learn. I like what I'm doing, but I personally feel that strength training twice a week is not enough, it's like I'm cramming it in. On the other hand, I don't want to tire my legs out when running is my main focus.

Thanks,

Caroline

Replies

• mldrown
    mldrown Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Caroline - I would consider myself an avid runner. Over the last two years I have worked in a body weight/strength training class on M-W-F. I run on T, Th, and S. My rest day is Sunday. I have found this combination to work very well for me and has kept me injury free since taking it on. The class is much like a body pump class. Lots of pushups, sit ups, arms, abs, booty, and legs. Maybe your local gym offers such a class or you could check out you tube vidoes. My suggestions are exactly helpful, but I can tell you that since working in this class three days a week, I have felt much, much stronger in my running. I'm getting "old" so listening to my body is so important.
  • mldrown
    mldrown Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    whoops aren't* exactly helpful.
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am a better runner when I do more strength training and weights. Your legs may get tired and sore from it but you are just making those muscles better for running. I love yoga and still do it 5 nights a week. I also add in a barre class just when I feel like it.

You have to do what you like and feels good for you, but I think adding more strength training wouldn't hurt!

good luck!!
  • navyjen
    navyjen Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    This may sound crazy. I love running and just last week I tried for the first time ever Zumba. And wow it was fun. The hour went bye before I knew it and I looked at my polar and over 500 calories burned. I was like wow that was a win. Who knows maybe try a class. Or do a Body Pump class to get some more weights involved. Those are fun too.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I would suggest doing a full body strength routine on your 2 lifting days. It doesnt have to be long or crush your legs such that it affects your running. Compound movements will allow you to be pretty efficient with your time
  • robertoliver2015
    Options
    Hello, just a suggestion, I looked up the Hal Higdon half marathon training guide and use that in conjunction with a strength building workout on 2 of the days. It is a nice workout and you don't overdo it and get injured. Signed up for a half in June and adjusted the schedule to meet it. Good Luck!