how to determine my bone size...m or s?

Options
I read an article that you measure the space between the elbow bones while your arm is bent 90 degrees..has anyone heard of this before? and there is a chart to go by.
also I'm trying to figure out what I should weigh...I feel my best at 125.

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you feel best at 125, that is probably what you should be. Measuring the size of your bones does help to determine which side of the range on a chart you should be at, but some people have problems with it because they have fat covering their bones. It works best for people near their ideal weight anyway.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    You say you feel your best at 125...sounds like you already know what you should weigh then.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think you should evaluate the following metrics:

- How do you feel as far as your relationship with food, energy levels, mental well being as it pertains to your diet?

- How do you feel about your body?
    - How are your general health metrics that may be weight-driven?

And I'd use those metrics to determine when you should stop losing weight and start maintaining.

Fortunately you can do this without knowing your bone size.

You may not even need to set a specific goal weight.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Never heard that. My advice is to go by how you feel rather than looking at a chart.
  • Jasonmylis
    Jasonmylis Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wrap your index finger and thumb around your wrist on the opposite arm. If they overlap you have a small bone structure, if they just touch you have a medium bone structure, and if they do not touch you have a large bone structure.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Jasonmylis wrote: »
    Wrap your index finger and thumb around your wrist on the opposite arm. If they overlap you have a small bone structure, if they just touch you have a medium bone structure, and if they do not touch you have a large bone structure.

I have heard this before, but how can it be correct? My wrist is smaller than it was 25 lbs ago while my fingers are obviously the same length. Before losing weight my fingers didn't touch but now they barely do. So my bone structure changed from large to medium by losing weight?

Granted my wrist isn't that much smaller (one hole on a watch band so roughly 1/4"), but that's after only 25 lbs lost. There are plenty of people on her who have lost 100+ lbs. I would imagine their wrists shrank by much more.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Wrists don't take that much fat unless morbidly obese in which case just losing fat is a great goal ...the wrist size / forearm is as good a measurement as anything and there are millions of online calculators

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17182.htm
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Jasonmylis wrote: »

What if on one arm they don't touch and the other arm they just barely touch? I don't mean to be snarky, I honestly want to know. If I try on my Left arm they aren't close to touching, if I try on my right arm (my dominant arm) they barely touch).
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    There are differences in the length of your fingers on one hand versus the other. Also, if your fingers are fat or muscular, they won't wrap around the wrist as easily.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    ...which is why you should just measure:

Women:

Height under 5'2"
    Small = wrist size less than 5.5"
    Medium = wrist size 5.5" to 5.75"
    Large = wrist size over 5.75"
    Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size less than 6"
    Medium = wrist size 6" to 6.25"
    Large = wrist size over 6.25"
    Height over 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size less than 6.25"
    Medium = wrist size 6.25" to 6.5"
    Large = wrist size over 6.5"
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If knowing what you should ideally weigh is really important to you, go get a DEXA done. You'll know your entire body composition and can work from there.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    X-Ray
  • hiphop10
    hiphop10 Posts: 135 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    good idea!
    I just wanted to really know if I am small boned...I think I am
    I thought only short people are small boned well guess I was wrong.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

Women:

Height under 5'2"
    Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
    Height over 5' 5"

What's your source for these numbers?

"Small", "medium" and "large" are arbitrary classifications anyway.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I got a free one a few years ago as part of a bone density study. The med student who read my report said I had good, dense, big bones, but then said that fat % wise, I was obese. (I was at 24.9 BMI at the time.) Depressed, I went home and showed my husband the results. He didn't buy that and looked it up online what % of fat I should be.

My body fat was right in the middle of where the body fat for a woman my age should be, although if I had been a man in my 20's (like the med student), I would be considered obese! :D We had a good laugh over it, and it didn't diminish the usefulness of the free DEXA scan one bit.

On one side of my family, if you're over 50 and overweight, you've probably got type II diabetes. The DEXA let me know that I'm not so big that the diabetes is looming over my shoulder for a certainty, which was a big relief for me. Additionally, it let me know for certain sure that at a 24.9 BMI and exercising, I am not overweight in body fat percentage!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Ok so my right fingers can touch around my left wrist = Medium bone structure
    left fingers can not touch over right wrist= large bone structure

left wrist measures 6.25= s/m I'm 5' 6""
    right wrist is 6.5" = medium

I'm 56 and my feeling is I have fairly large bones-broad shoulders and "childbearing" hips.

I am aiming for a size 12 canadian clothes-a medium
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Women:

Height under 5'2"
    Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
    Height over 5' 5"

What's your source for these numbers?

"Small", "medium" and "large" are arbitrary classifications anyway.

The US National Institutes of Health. They set the standards for frame size which are referenced by medical studies, etc. Someone else gave the link above.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I found out something interesting doing this. The fingers on my left hand are just over 1/8 of an inch longer than those in my right... Both my wrist are 7.15 inches around, yet only my left hand can touch around the wrist. I of course had to know and measured my hands and fingers... I'm sure there is some arbitrary medical study that says something about this....
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    I found out something interesting doing this. The fingers on my left hand are just over 1/8 of an inch longer than those in my right... Both my wrist are 7.15 inches around, yet only my left hand can touch around the wrist. I of course had to know and measured my hands and fingers... I'm sure there is some arbitrary medical study that says something about this....

It's normal to have hands and feet of slightly different sizes.
  • hiphop10
    hiphop10 Posts: 135 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I just measured my wrist 5.5" and I'm 5'4" and both my hands can touch fingers around my wrists with extra room according the chart I'm small boned then..seems for years I thought I was medium-small so I just was wondering if there was a forumula to find out.... yes I agree there must be some arbitrary medical study about this..thank you