What do you wear?!

Options
How do you guys handle new wardrobes... I don't want to spend thousands of dollars shopping for the size I am now, then have NOTHING fit in a month or two from now when I'll weigh less... I'm thinking dresses with get me through the summer, but how do dresses fit after you lose more weight?

What do some of you guys wear?

Replies

• tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I made due with what I had for the first 50lbs and than went shopping at 2nd hand stores....then when I hit my goal, it was SHOP TILL YOU DROP time =) (Plato's closet is my fav. 2nd hand store)
  • Armymom44
    Armymom44 Posts: 76
    Options
    I know how you feel I have bought clothes now they do not fit I get the velour swaet pants
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores, Ross, make do with what I have until I honestly can't wear stuff any longer.
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Goodwill is a great place to shop for clothes that will get you (cheaply) to your next size. You can also go and get your clothes altered to fit your new body. I'm a stay at home mom and I wear stretchy shorts and a t-shirt most days.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I took several pairs of pants into a tailor to be sized down.
  • nancymmorris
    nancymmorris Posts: 310
    Options
    Buy a few things from clearance racks or second hand stores like Platos Closet. Don't go overboard, just a few things will get you by.
  • lkmisztela
    lkmisztela Posts: 23
    Options
    I've gone back through my previous clothes so far, and bought a few new pieces when I see sales. Then I shop second hand. We have a great store very close to us, so that works for me!
  • cherylwhite
    cherylwhite Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I shopped at Goodwill for my "in between" sizes and tried to make do with very little,
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Goodwill & clearance here! :)

Oh, and garage sales.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I've been only buying the bare essentials. Two pairs of work pants will do for the week... several clearanced tops... that sort of thing. I think I'm close to goal now, so not sure how many more sizes I'll drop, so I just get what I really need... My hope is once I get to where I am not losing sizes I can go nuts and replace EVERYTHING!!!!!

Oh... and belts. Get a good belt!!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores can be good. Old Navy practically gives clothes away most of the time, too.

When you buy tops and dresses, think about how they'll look belted as you get smaller; whether buttons can be moved and if there are pockets that would get in the way of altering; whether the seams are placed in such a way that the item would be easier to slim down a bit and maybe carry you through a few sizes, etc. Pants usually can't be dramatically altered cheaply (well, jeans can't be) but some styles can be if they don't have a waistband.
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    From a guys perspective...luckily I have some smaller clothes from before I gained all this weight and then when I reach my goal I'll have to do some shopping! Its a good problem to have though isn't it? Great job! Keep it up!
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Work clothes that might have cost good money might be worth getting tailored. I have given my clothes away on www.freecycle.org and have shopped second hand stores like others mentioned. Shirts that have belts or ties are a good option, and if you can find stylish pants with a stretch waist, that works for a while too.

GREAT.. that this happens, though, yes? :flowerforyou:
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores are wonderful as stated above. Also find a couple of good consignment stores. You can buy stuff cheap and then re-consign when they no longer fit. Most of the stores let you have cash or store credit for your items they sell. Keep looking until you find one that handles the kinds of clothes you like.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    resale stores and clearance items
  • GeekMomma42
    GeekMomma42 Posts: 48
    Options
    Yard sales/ tag sales, thrift shop, coupons online, and freecycle (free is good) is the way I'm doing it. I decided to buy something that fits nice for special occasions in my current size; however, I figure that this is all transitional so I need a transitioning wardrobe. Tanks, skirts (relatively easy to take in) and sundresses are going to be the order of the day this summer.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I shop thrift stores and yard sales, I actually got 7 shirts 1 pr shorts 2 jeans and 2 capris
    this weekend at a thrift store for 32.00 out of the 12 pieces 3 were hollister and 2 AE
    washed and pressed them all, they look new botoms were a size 10 wahoooo (even tho they have
    some elastic in the waist) these pieces mixed should help me thru another 15-20 lbs!!
  • bethikabob
    bethikabob Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    From a guys perspective...luckily I have some smaller clothes from before I gained all this weight and then when I reach my goal I'll have to do some shopping! Its a good problem to have though isn't it? Great job! Keep it up!
    I guess I'm lucky I've never moved and I hate getting rid of stuff lol. I also have just about every item of smaller clothing I used to fit into--and I'm only too glad to give away my too big clothing. Also, dresses and tshirts have been working great for me even though they are starting to get a tad loose. ^^^agree, good problem to have lol ♥
  • happybrooke
    happybrooke Posts: 153
    Options
    I mostly get my clothes at Goodwill right now, with the occasional purchase from a department store. Also, I have clothes swaps with friends and coworkers, so we can exchange sizes that work for all of us. It's actually kept my wardrobe everchanging and fun to try styles that I wouldn't have bought myself.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I bought a ton of clothes from thift shops. Since last year I've purchased probably 5 new wardrobes and honestly spent next to nothing since it was all second hand.

I donate all my big clothes back to thrift shops or other people I know and now that I am smaller I fit clothes that some of my smaller family members don't want anymore so I've gotten some freebies that way too.

I just wanted to say now that I am sooooo much smaller than when I started I can now shop in regular stores and my favorite one quite often has 7-10$ pairs of jeans, 2-6$ shirts so I've bought a bunch of new stuff too for cheaper than thrift shops.