Exercise Suggestions, Please!

Options
I'm in a wheelchair, so obviously my "walking" is going to be foot-pedalling myself around. I have no idea if I can even get up to 2mph, so I think I need to track the time as shorter than I actually do that. My exercise routine, which I'm not consistently recording is using a resistance band, a set of hand weights, seated rowing using only my upper body, and some resistance band-assistance for leg lifts. I just can't seem to break a sweat no matter what I do. I cannot swim (no cartilage in hips, and they are too stiff), or I'd be at the gym every day. What can I do to get my heart rate up?

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    See if there are some groups that play wheelchair basketball in your area.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Could you swim using a pull buoy (swim float) for your legs, so you wouldn't have to kick? Then you could get a great upper-body workout.

You could also look into trying out a handcycle. There's a group in my area that regularly sets up handcycling trials on our rail trail. A racing wheelchair comes to mind, too, one powered by your arms. I'm not sure how practical either of those would be.
  • vickyaldersey
    vickyaldersey Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Are you in the uk? If so look at the efds website
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    DBabbit wrote: »
    I just can't seem to break a sweat no matter what I do.

Why are you trying to break a sweat? If you're trying to lose weight, all movement burns calories, so everything contributes to the calorie deficit that leads to fat loss.. regardless if it makes you overheat (sweating = overheating).

Also, since you're sedentary, i'd keep the carb intake relatively low and protein relatively high to maximize fat loss. You seem to be eating the opposite.
  • DBabbit
    DBabbit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    See if there are some groups that play wheelchair basketball in your area.

I did some checking, and there is nothing in my area. I may have to check with the college to see if they offer anything.

bwogilvie wrote: »
    Could you swim using a pull buoy (swim float) for your legs, so you wouldn't have to kick? Then you could get a great upper-body workout.

You could also look into trying out a handcycle. There's a group in my area that regularly sets up handcycling trials on our rail trail. A racing wheelchair comes to mind, too, one powered by your arms. I'm not sure how practical either of those would be.

I would love a handcycle, but will have to save for it -- maybe in a year or so, since I have other obligations, but I'm definitely interested in having one! I've never heard of pull bouys before. I'll have to order one. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • DBabbit
    Options
    Are you in the uk? If so look at the efds website

No. I'm in the U.S., but thanks for replying! :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Not much of a suggestion but maybe it will help - when you're using the handweights, keep them above chest level to elevate your heart rate a lot more.
  • DBabbit
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Why are you trying to break a sweat? If you're trying to lose weight, all movement burns calories, so everything contributes to the calorie deficit that leads to fat loss.. regardless if it makes you overheat (sweating = overheating).

Thanks for pointing that out. I mean some kind of exercise that will get my heart rate up.

Also, since you're sedentary, i'd keep the carb intake relatively low and protein relatively high to maximize fat loss. You seem to be eating the opposite.

I've noticed that since I've been tracking for the past few days. I've been avoiding meat (except for the egg I had this morning) so I can drop my cholesterol levels. My cardiologist keeps pushing statins, and I refuse to take them, because what I've researched scares the dickens out of me. (Seriously, they cause heart attacks, while purportedly being used to prevent them? That makes no sense to me.) What, besides beans has more protein? I suppose I need to visit nutritiondata.com and do some more research.
  • DBabbit
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Not much of a suggestion but maybe it will help - when you're using the handweights, keep them above chest level to elevate your heart rate a lot more.

Thanks! I'll do that! :)
  • kismea
    kismea Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So - I would recommend checking out SCIfit ((http://scitotalfitness.com/)) her workouts kick butt and are all upper body - you can do leg moves with it if you desire (she has some with as well). She does weights AND cardio and it's a fantastic workout.

There are also a LOT of things you can do with your arms at the gym with weights to get your heart rate going. Hope this helps.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Have a search on YouTube. There are quite a few chair and wheelchair exercise videos. Also dvd's on amazon.
    Pools quite often have pull buoys for you to use, check with the one you would go to.
    Make sure you are getting enough protein, otherwise you will start losing the muscle you have as you lose weight. Lean meats like chicken breasts should be fine. Also fat free yogurt and cottage cheese are good sources of protein. Add lots of lentils and beans to vegetable stews and soups.
    Cheers, h.
  • DBabbit
    Options
    kismea wrote: »
    So - I would recommend checking out SCIfit ((http://scitotalfitness.com/)) her workouts kick butt and are all upper body - you can do leg moves with it if you desire (she has some with as well). She does weights AND cardio and it's a fantastic workout.

There are also a LOT of things you can do with your arms at the gym with weights to get your heart rate going. Hope this helps.

Thanks, kismea! I'm saving that link for later today since I just ate lunch. I watched the attached links she had on the one you posted, and the ones shown are something I can do.

Also, how could I forget Google! lol I have a list of Youtube videos I can work with now too. :)
  • DBabbit
    Options
    Have a search on YouTube. There are quite a few chair and wheelchair exercise videos. Also dvd's on amazon.
    Pools quite often have pull buoys for you to use, check with the one you would go to.
    Make sure you are getting enough protein, otherwise you will start losing the muscle you have as you lose weight. Lean meats like chicken breasts should be fine. Also fat free yogurt and cottage cheese are good sources of protein. Add lots of lentils and beans to vegetable stews and soups.
    Cheers, h.

Beans and lentils are becoming a staple, every day food now. I just checked the cholesterol levels in the meats I have on hand, and clams are 7X lower than chicken, so that will be my go-to meat for now. I need to check the sugar content of the yogurt I have in the 'fridge. At the moment, everything I think is healthy (low fat yogurt, plain baked potatoes, and melons) is driving my glucose up. I think maybe, I should have tracked what I had been eating before attempting to change my diet!
  • kismea
    Options
    YW. I was in a wheelchair fr 6 yrs and those vids kept me sane. Now I am working on the whole "walking" thing. Slowly. Painfully. But doin er. LOL good luck :D
  • DBabbit
    Options
    YW. I was in a wheelchair fr 6 yrs and those vids kept me sane. Now I am working on the whole "walking" thing. Slowly. Painfully. But doin er. LOL good luck :D

You can do it! I've been in a wheelchair for 5 years. I'd give my eye teeth to be able to afford the surgery I need! I walk a little bit, but after about 200 steps, my hips slide out of joint...Ouch!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've been avoiding meat (except for the egg I had this morning) so I can drop my cholesterol levels.

Eliminating meat isn't necessary - just reducing saturated fat and cholesterol. Chicken breasts or "tenderloins" are low in both, as are sardines & canned mackerel, and egg whites (not the yolk). Cholesterol intake doesn't need to be zero, just under 200 (or whatever your doctor recommends).

As far as vegetable sources of protein, oats, beans & quinoa are decent.

For some people, eating too many carbohydrates can lower HDL (good cholesterol) and raise triglycerides
    http://www.cdc.gov/cholesterol/what_you_can_do.htm

Do you have thyroid issues? That can affect cholesterol.

• kismea
    Options

You can do it! I've been in a wheelchair for 5 years. I'd give my eye teeth to be able to afford the surgery I need! I walk a little bit, but after about 200 steps, my hips slide out of joint...Ouch!

I hear ya. Do what you can. SCIfit really IS great, I still use it on days when my legs say hell no. ;)
  • DBabbit
    Options

I hear ya. Do what you can. SCIfit really IS great, I still use it on days when my legs say hell no. ;)

I just finished 12 min. of the free 40 min. SCIfit video. That's a workout today since yesterday, I was literally chopping down weeds for a couple of hours, and I am sore from my my shoulders to my lower back. lol I may do more SCIfit this evening, but it looks like a great morning routine to get the blood flowing!
  • DBabbit
    Options
    I've been avoiding meat (except for the egg I had this morning) so I can drop my cholesterol levels.

Eliminating meat isn't necessary - just reducing saturated fat and cholesterol. Chicken breasts or "tenderloins" are low in both, as are sardines & canned mackerel, and egg whites (not the yolk). Cholesterol intake doesn't need to be zero, just under 200 (or whatever your doctor recommends).

As far as vegetable sources of protein, oats, beans & quinoa are decent.

For some people, eating too many carbohydrates can lower HDL (good cholesterol) and raise triglycerides
    http://www.cdc.gov/cholesterol/what_you_can_do.htm

Do you have thyroid issues? That can affect cholesterol.

My thyroid tested fine, which is great since my mother, her mother, and her grandmother all have/had thyroid problems. That was one of the first tests I requested. I have TMJD, so I eat mostly soft foods. My Maxo-facial surgeon told me not to do a whole lot of chewing, and absolutely no chicken or steak, because they're too tough (ie: chewy). Would I be better off having a protein shake to get the protein I need?
  • 9Rounder
    9Rounder Posts: 40 Member
    Options