hungry all the time

Options
I feel hungry all the time during my period is there anything that well help with that

Replies

• rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I realize I'm male, but I am a constant snacker, so hopefully this will help:

* Tall glasses of water (lemon/lime optional) (option #2 - add whey protein)
    * Gum (sugarless)
    * Coffee/Tea

The above are all appetite suppressants that may help you.

Other than that, I'd look at low calorie snacks:

* Unbuttered popcorn
    * Celery, Carrots, Broccoli, Cauliflower with "light" hummus, or a dip made from greek yogurt & spices
    * Rice cakes
    * Pistachios
  • kaydent2013
    Options
    Thank you
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    OP, I have two days a month where I could probably eat 3,000 cals of anything I can lay my hands on and still wonder if there is more ice cream in the freezer. I cope in 3 ways:
    1. I automatically assume I will eat up to my maintenance calories on these two days.
    2. I buy an indulgence, like high-quality chocolate or ice cream, specifically for the occasion and have several small servings throughout the day. Knowing I can have a little bit now and a little bit later helps me not go overboard.
    3. If I still get cravings, I first try a cup of green tea, coffee, or diet soda. Sometimes that kills the craving. Sometimes, not so much. But every little bit helps :D

I have always assumed it's not REALLY hunger, it's cravings that I read as hunger. If you can keep those days around maintenance, they really won't hurt your progress enough to worry about!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein and fiber. I eat 30-35% protein and 30g of fiber or more a day. Helps a lot with hunger, even during PMS and TOM.
    Also, reserve some calories for an indulgence like ice cream or chocolate, look forward to it, savor it, don't over do it.
    And if you really just feel like you want to eat and eat, then go for calorie-lite options that have a lot of volume, like sugar-free Jello, popcorn (air popped), veggies.
    This is what works for me.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Water is good, as is maybe a little extra fat. If you're hungry you need to eat. Also lots of high volume, low calorie foods (carrots, celery, cucumbers) are good.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Protein powder? Usually when I'm like that I'm dropping weight and my body is rebelling. So I try to stay just barely hungry. Maybe give in to an up day of super healthy foods. smoothies might be a good option.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Team Never Full. Have some complementary broccoli and diet coke.
  • jcim1ru
    jcim1ru Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Water with lemon helps.
    Water with any of the squirt flavorings helps.
    (as if you need more water huh?)
    If you do have to munch, munch on proteins or strawberries.
    Find something physical to take your mind off of wanting to much. If you're idle, play brain teaser games on your electronic device.
    Or get up and move a little. A quick 10 minutes of walking is usually enough to put off the munchies.

Find a distraction that works with your schedule and fits into your lifestyle. Does the trick for me on those days when I could eat Ben and Jerry out of business.
  • kismea
    kismea Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Water. Coffee. Gum. Brushing your teeth. Exercise. those are my sanity on super hungry days!
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm in that boat when I am losing. So I am trying to clean something when I am feeling that way. If my hands are grimy, it is less likely I will pick up. Also the standards: hot tea, water, coffee, movement, raw veggies....
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    You could eat at maintenance during that time.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I feel hungry all the time during my period is there anything that well help with that

Male here was well, but one month my ex got into my protein bars (god, I make it sound like she was a raccoon) and found that one of those each day a little after lunch settled her cravings down pretty well for most of the day.
  • RogueinSF
    Options
    Getting enough protein and fat helps me. I think the amount of fat FP limits me to is way too low. I usually eat 10g to 25g more fat than what is in range for my calorie goal and I am still losing my 1lb to 2lbs a week. Mind that I am still making my calorie goal, just with more fat and less of everything else. I also generally eat good oils, though I do eat butter and animal fat as well, nothing fried though. Also, fat makes things taste good and I find the worst part about "dieting" is the absence of flavorful food. How many bowls of butter-less popcorn and bags of baby carrots can a person eat? So, I don't diet, I restrict calories by eating small amounts of flavorful foods throughout the day. Anyway, eating a fair amount of fat is how I keep from being hungry all the time. If I just eat carbohydrates-veggies or grains--I will be hungry within the hour after eating. If I eat sugar my appetite grows exponentially, so I try and be mindful of that. Oh, and I also have to eat every 3 hours or I am doomed to over eat. I try to never let myself feel hungry, as soon as I get an inkling my appetite is picking up, I eat a little something. I have noticed from these boards that we all process food differently, but this is what works for me.
  • kaydent2013
    Options
    Thank you all
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Most times it's not that your hungry so much as not satisfied. Try to take the time to think about what you have a taste for, me personally I up my fats on those super hungry days. I don't mean like I eat ice cream or chips but I tend to be more satisfied by snacking on almonds, avacados and if chocolate is my desire I go with a Lindt dark chocolate truffle.

Now before someone flips out..... I'm not saying I don't eat ice cream or chips or that those are "bad foods" I just found other things that worked better for me. PMS and TOM suck for woman and men as helpful as you're trying to be and it's sweet you offer suggestions think of this time for us ladies as having an evil spawn inside your body.
  • I am the same way. Yesterday was a real struggle but I stayed under cal goal thank goodness
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I am always hungry. I eat 5-6 smaller meals daily---seems to help.
  • lasarabande
    lasarabande Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would eat smaller, more filling meals more frequently throughout the day. Grapes and watermelons as fruits fill me up, with a lot of glasses of water. If water is boring, I would fill up on non-caloric beverages once in a while. (i.e. green tea)

Have problems with cravings? I do for sure! Try brushing your teeth when you do and then it should go away. No one wants to eat baddie food when your teeth are squeaky clean!
  • shamani5
    shamani5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Limit "white" carbs and refined (table) sugar and basically anything in a package! Refined sugar increases appetite. I like raw honey as a sweetener. Drink lots of water and have some ground turkey with avacado, greek yogurt with a little fruit (unrefined sugar), a handful of almonds or some cottage cheese.
  • kaydent2013
    Options
    :)