Does herbal tea really help with weight loss? What're your favourites/results?

Options
Green tea is famously meant to help weight loss and lately I've seen a new craze for these 'skinnyteas' but has anyone seen any real results from either?

Personally I much prefer pomegranate or blueberry tea but they don't have quite the same reputation!

What're your favourite hot drinks to aid with weight loss?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Short answer No. But hey if you like them drink them
  • Nutn899
    Nutn899 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking Chamomile tea lately because it helps put you to sleep. So far I've noticed it helping me lose weight, because that is the only thing I changed in my routine so far
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My friend bought a whole case of ballerina tea. She gave me a couple packs..
    All it is, is senna tea, it tastes like dirt and doesn't even make you go to the loo. Utter rubbish!
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm actually drinking a cup green tea with pomegranate right now. Bigelow makes green tea with several flavors including that and mango (my 2 faves) and also peach and wild blueberry with acai. It does help me keep hunger at bay for a short while. So like today, I got a cup at 2 so I could get myself to hold off on my snack until 4. But there is no magic tea or anything else for that matter that will help you lose weight except for a good old fashioned calorie deficit. And there certainly isn't any product that will help you lose belly fat (an outrageous claim I've seen about green tea just in the last week). If it helps keep you from over eating, then I guess it can be considered a weight loss tool of sorts. Green tea does have a mild amount of caffeine which can be an appetite suppressant.
    edited to correct spelling
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't. Only a calorie deficit helps with weight loss. If you find teas keep cravings under control and encourage you to eat less, then great. But there is nothing magical about teas that make you lose weight.
  • RogueinSF
    Options
    Drinking herbal tea is much like drinking water: it will help you stay hydrated, so you store less water weight. Some teas, like green tea, have anti-oxidant benefits. I don't believe that they help you lose weight as much as keep your body hydrated and high functioning, and you may feel less hungry if you have a belly full of tea. I think you can find green tea blends that have fruit in them, but I would only encourage it for the anti-oxidants. I often use a bag of green tea with a bag of hibiscus for flavor. My advice is keep enjoying your tea, and don't think of it in terms of weight control so much as a positive hydration habit that will benefit your skin and support your overall health.
  • stif9
    stif9 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For everything supplement related make sure your bookmark this page www.examine.com
    As for green tea here are the results.
    There appears to be a fat reducing effect associated with green tea, but it is minor and unreliable.
    Check it out.
    http://examine.com/supplements/Green+Tea+Catechins/
    I dont think I have to say anything more, all the studies are there, if you really wonder if it works just read.
  • Marieenya
    Marieenya Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks all of you.
    I didn't realise those so called diet teas were just laxatives! I was thinking about giving them a go but will steer clear now and stick to my pomegranate cuppas!
  • lcolliton
    lcolliton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking it to replace soda or other really sugary drinks, then yes....since each can of soda is like 150 calories. Tea is a good way to stay hydrated, if you don't like water much, but watch the caffeine and how much sugar, honey, or milk you put in it. Though a drink of a fruity tea before a workout can give you a bit of a boost of energy, so you may work out a bit more intensely tha ln otherwise. And a chamomile or many other herbal tea can help you sleep, which is very important not only for weight loss (how are you going to properly and safely work out if you're too tired to function), but for an overall healthy lifestyle. And lack of sleep can often cause people to seek out really sugary food/beverages in hopes of getting more energy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a stimulant so helps weight loss marginally as well. Green tea has caffeine in it. I have a vanilla chai tea every morning because it makes me happy.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @Cassie_227‌ I was in the asian grocer the other day chatting to the lady about these slimming teas. And in her cute accent, she said: "people lose much weight drinking these teas, because they're constant shi*ting" lol her words not mine :smiley:
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I drink black tea around the clock and in the evening I make a pot of tea with one bag of chamomile and one of tilleul.

It's very relaxing... but it won't make you lose weight.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I like drinking tea with some flavor when I just want taste - does that make sense? LOL I'm not hungry and don't need mindless calories. I'm drinking some harvest tea from trader joe's right now. It was available in the fall and I'm wishing I had gotten more. I prefer either green tea or a cinnamon tea, although some of the cinnamon is sweetened and not the flavor I'm going for. ETA: I realize the flavors I like are touted as having wonderful magical benefits, but I don't much believe that and it's not why I drink mostly those lol. I love just about anything cinnamon flavored and have all my life. I also just like the flavor of green tea. Neither dries out my mouth as much as some other teas.
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Drinking warm beverages do help control your appetite, but as far as the "skinny" or "diet" teas go, they are just herbal laxatives.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    No.
  • JohnH71
    JohnH71 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    As has been said, no, not in itself. The only way is can assist in weight loss is just like anything else, i.e. by creating a calorie deficit by way of a substitution. For instance, if you usually had 10 full fat milk coffees with sugar every day, and then substituted them with 10 milk and sugar free herbal teas, you would loose weight (everything else staying equal), but only because you were consuming less calories, not because of any medical properties of the teas themselves. However, black coffee would have the same effect in the same scenario.

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Like EVERYTHING else, only eat/drink something because you like it, not because some article on the interwebs says it has magical powers. Because more that likely it is total hogwash. The only proven method of weight loss is to create a deficient.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I like tea but not because it has anything to do with weight loss