IT Band Problems

Options
Anytime I run on the treadmill I end up having pain in my hip. I do complete stretches for the IT Band prior to running, but for some reason I still end up regretting getting on the treadmill. Anyone else have this experience and what has helped you? I did go to my doctor who did suggest the stretching exercises and he also manipulated my pelvis since it was tilted forward, but the relief of that didn't last long. :neutral_face:

Replies

• stif9
    stif9 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Get a foam roller.
    I'm not a runner because frankly noone is chasing me right now, but prior to lifting i do dynamic stretches and not static ones, like limber 11.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc
  • cfales33
    Options
    I would suggest that your sciatic nerve is inflamed. Try putting a tennis ball at the spot where the pain occurs Put pressure for about 5 minutes. Do this before exercise It took me several tries but it relieved the pain My daughter gave me this tip as she is a mayo-facial massage therapist. The words refer to massage to" facia" Very different from just a massage.
  • klparma
    Options
    Get a foam roller.
    I'm not a runner because frankly noone is chasing me right now, but prior to lifting i do dynamic stretches and not static ones, like limber 11.

Thanks so much. I am definitely going to try that to see if it will work for me!
  • hannaanicolee9
    Options
    I play volleyball and my IT bands are extrememly tight so i use a foam roller. If you get one, i suggest getting a firmer one because those are better. Also my teammate uses one that has curves and bumps and she says those work very well.(:
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Stretching is fine short term. To fix the root of the problem, work on strengthening your hip flexors and other muscles.

The MYRTL exercises are a good place to start. I also do hip hikes.
  • klparma
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'm going to give them a shot. I've been kind of getting sick of my elliptical and would love to get back on the treadmill pain free!