Nutritional value of body fat

Options
A survival expert I know said if you're lost in the bush, don't bother looking for food--the average North American can survive without food for 3 months and come out in better health than when s/he went in. He said you'd increase your chances of survival by spending your time and energy looking for water and shelter and planning your rescue instead. Also, one would probably burn more calories looking for/hunting/gathering food than one would gain eating the harvest. My question is, does body fat contain any nutrients that are released when we burn it? Would we survive without food fine for 3 months as far as calories go but have problems due to vitamin and/or mineral deficiencies? Lack of protein or carbs?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Not eating for 3 months? Somehow I don't think that's going to work out... the muscle wastage alone would have you a ragdoll.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Not eating for 3 months? Somehow I don't think that's going to work out....

So are we gathering and hunting for our food here or are we fasting? I'm confused.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't, I get grouchy after 8 hours sometimes!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Three months is extreme. Three weeks - yeah, doable. But three months and you're coming out a wreck....

To answer the original question - it would have been a pretty serious design flaw if our bodies evolved an energy storage system that didn't also include storage of a few key nutrients.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Ummmmmm, no. For the survival expert part. And these extremes (21 days) depend on proper hydration and laying still to preserve energy.
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-long-can-a-person-sur/

There are some micronutrients that are only stored in fat. Vitamins A, E, D and K are stored in the fat. Fat stores convert very nicely in to the glycogen we need and if we need protein, the body will (un)happily pirate from other muscles. Hopefully not from the heart muscle.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    the average North American can survive without food for 3 months and come out in better health than when s/he went in.

I believe the point was the person could survive the 3 months without eating at all, would burn more looking for food than eating it so there was no point, and would magically be better off for not eating for that whole 3 months. W.T.F.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    You know how many medical problems you'd have if you didn't eat for 3 months!?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I'd think the lost North American would be better off knowing about all the edibles surrounding him or her.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I'd think the lost North American would be better off knowing about all the edibles surrounding him or her.

Sure.

And as long as we're doing the hindsight thing, they'd also be better off not getting lost in the first place.

• jgnatca
    Options
    LOL. It can happen in this part of the world, despite the best-laid plans. Let's say the bush plane crashes, for instance.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    A survival expert I know said if you're lost in the bush, don't bother looking for food--the average North American can survive without food for 3 months and come out in better health than when s/he went in. He said you'd increase your chances of survival by spending your time and energy looking for water and shelter and planning your rescue instead. Also, one would probably burn more calories looking for/hunting/gathering food than one would gain eating the harvest. My question is, does body fat contain any nutrients that are released when we burn it? Would we survive without food fine for 3 months as far as calories go but have problems due to vitamin and/or mineral deficiencies? Lack of protein or carbs?

Better health? I think not. Your body will break down your lean muscle when you aren't eating protein or any other nutrients. if your potassium levels get too low, your heart will go into arrhythmia and you will die of cardiac arrest.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    So...is this the newest diet fad?
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Survive? Yes. Thrive? No.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Risky to say yes, since the question is "would we survive for 3 months without food?". Depends on the starting weight and health of the person, doesn't it?
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Risky to say yes, since the question is "would we survive for 3 months without food?". Depends on the starting weight and health of the person, doesn't it?

I assume that's where the "average American" (ie, obese) bit from the OP kicks in.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that he hasn't illustrated his point by doing this himself.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Poor brain would be mush after 3 months. Who'd want to "survive" that? Better off living off sushi and Sapporo. I'm staying amongst civilization.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    This thread title honestly sounds like someone is attempting to calculate the nutrients found in human fat for the purposes of cannibalism..

completely what I was expecting this thread to be about.
    tumblr_loyirxDq1I1qg39ewo1_500.gif