Which C25K weeks were the hardest/easiest transitions for yo

Options
Title pretty much says it all.

Curious because week one was no problem for me (it was a challenge, but manageable) and then week two was SO hard for me to transition to. Each of the three workouts were so hard for me that I wasn't sure I'd be able to finish while doing them (I ended up finishing them all, but it was ridiculously difficult). Since I was still finding it too challenging after the third workout, I did week two a second time when I should have been doing week three, and by the end of that week it was manageable. Then I moved to week three and found it somewhat harder than week one, but not almost impossible like week two, I really had to push myself, but not to the point of feeling sick like during the week two workouts.

Tonight was my first week four workout, and the transition was so smooth for me! It was definitely challenging, and I felt like I was pushing myself (in a good way), but I really felt like I could handle it and I enjoyed more than I've enjoyed it since week one! It just seemed odd to me that a particular week would be an easier transition, whereas another was so hard, so I was wondering what others' experiences have been like.

Replies

• wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to get past week 3 day 2. I can do day 1 but day 2 on the 3 min run I just want to stop. I think it's the music.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I remember repeating weeks 7 and 8, but it's like a breakthrough and suddenly it's manageable, it's exciting!
  • binderangie
    Options
    It came together at week 4 for me and I was good after that.
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    I had to do week 3 a couple times before i had the courage to move on to week 4....i did my first 5k this past weekend and ran it in 38 minutes! Pretty proud, considering how hard i remember that first week being for me...
  • WonderNoodle
    WonderNoodle Posts: 549
    Options
    Once you get out of your head, telling yourself HOW LONG you have to run, that it's too long/far, etc....you CAN do it. I'm posting a link to the C25K music I found and enjoyed.

Good luck to all of you trying it. Tell yourself you CAN for a change and see what is possible :flowerforyou:

http://www.mediafire.com/?539e7bpymd4kt
  • wiffe
    Options
    does it tell u when to run/walk in the early weeks?
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Week 5 was the hardest for me. It took me 3-4 weeks to get through that stage.
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    does it tell u when to run/walk in the early weeks?

if you're referring to the mp3 files i posted the link to, yes....
  • wiffe
    Options
    yes thanks
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You know, I found that it was harder mentally than physically. I remember looking ahead to see a 3 min run and a 5 min run and as for 20 mins, I didn't even see how they could even suggest it!
    But, once I stopped panicking about it and just did it, I found it was OK.

I did repeat weeks early on as I really wasn't confident about moving on - I did week one for two weeks, week two for just under two weeks, week 3 for 1 and a half weeks. I found as I got further through that I could go week to week without repeating but it really took the pressure off early on. And remember that you might want to slow down when you first move to a longer run. It isn't a failure if you take the speed back a little, you are aiming to get the time and endurance under your belt, the speed can come later.

If it helps - I went from strugging to get through 6 x 1 mins runs in January (the first few days I ran the first 6 run intervals and walked the rest) to running 45 mins non stop this morning. It's slow but I can do it!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    You know, I found that it was harder mentally than physically. I remember looking ahead to see a 3 min run and a 5 min run and as for 20 mins, I didn't even see how they could even suggest it!
    But, once I stopped panicking about it and just did it, I found it was OK.

That. I restarted week 6 3 times, because I was scared of the 25 minute run. I finally just told myself that I knew for a fact that I could do 20, so at least do 20 and see how I felt after that. I was able to do the 25. Then I was starting to worry about 30 minutes. On week 7, day 2, after I finished 25 minutes, I decided to see how much longer I could go. Got to 30. So I'm thinking weeks 8 and 9 won't be a big deal.

The more I get into this, the more I realize that I'M the one that's been holding me back. I'm capable of much more than I thought.
  • Monticello
    Monticello Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Week 4 was terribly difficult for me for some reason. I think it was mostly due to my body adjusting to the demands of running. My knees and my inner thighs were not very happy with me the entire week and I was hobbling around most of the time. I finished my program last week and ran a 5k in 37:13, which I was pleased with. I start the second week of Bridge to 10k tomorrow and am finding that I much less muscle fatigue and soreness after my runs.

Stick with it. Like Rubybelle said, it's mostly mental. Your body is much stronger than your mind thinks it is.
  • TaushasJourney
    Options
    Sorry this is a little off topic, but I've enjoyed reading your replies! I just finished workout 2 of week 4 tonight, and felt intimidated by the idea of running the whole 20 min next week. But reading your replies has really encouraged me to just go for it! Actually, my finace/running partner saw me reading about C25K, and asked if we could repeat week 4 because he was feeling intimidated by next week too, and I just told him we should try running the 20 mins before we decided to repeat anything!
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic - it really helps to know you're not the only one struggling! I really struggled with w4 d1 yesterday, but slowed it down and was really pleased that I managed it.
    I think it's mostly boredom that I struggle with, as I run on the treadmill (too much pollen in the air round here at the moment!), but in a few weeks I'll be running outside I hope, and when I was running before I found that so much easier to get through.
    I think the main message I'll take from this thread is never to feel like you've failed, slow it down, repeat a week but never give up!
    Lindsay x
  • janruffin
    janruffin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    I think what I had to realize as well was I wasn't supposed to be "sprinting"....you have to find a pace that is comfortable for you. Relax your shoulders, breathe without panic....I found that if I took a deep breath like a "sigh", I could focus and calm down about it all and did rather well.

My "run" is slow....about 4.5 when on the treadmill, an average of a 13 minute mile when I've did my 1st 5K last month, but it's what I AM COMFORTABLE WITH. I'm doing this for me, to finish, not to "win the race".
  • Pluto_Child
    Pluto_Child Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would say the first time I tried this back in 07 it was definitely week 3 for me. I was training while working at Yellowstone so the altitude just killed me. Sadly I ended up really out of shape after leaving the park.

I FINALLY got back into C25K again this winter at the gym (too much rain for jogging outdoors). I would say week 5 day 3 has been my biggest challenge so far (though week 3 did give me some trouble I did get through it in one week). I finally jogged the full 20 minutes for week 5 day 3 and it was amazing. I literally just tore up on it. I was getting fairly fatigued after about 12 minutes consistently the last several times I tried and then all of a sudden I did the full 20 and wasn't even having that much trouble! Cool moment for me! I will say for me that the first 3 minutes, no matter how long I am running are by far the HARDEST. I don't know, I think maybe it's just my body trying to find a comfortable pace and rhythm to fall into. So keep at it. I think it gets better as you go and build strength and stamina. I'm working on week 6 finally! I was waffling between week 5 day 3 and week 6 day 1. I can't believe that I'll be trying week 6 day 3 on Friday and I have the confidence to complete it all ready to go already! It gets better. I can promise you that. I never thought I would get past the hard part but slowly it seems I'm getting there and it does get easier. I mean it's still hard but it just more enjoyable and less painful. I hope you get through the next few weeks and get into the good stuff and realize just how strong you are and start tearing it up yourself!

I also run for time not distance. I am a very slow jogger I'm only running about a 12 minute mile but even then for me that is huge. I've never been able to run a mile ever. When I was a skinny little kid I ran all the time but I could sprint not maintain so even then I couldn't run a mile. I always dreaded running. I'm starting to like it and am really proud of my progress even if I'm not running their "slow" 10 minute mile suggested distance yet. I have a friend in the Army that is working her way back up to a 10 miler. She said/has been told that the length of time you run is more important than building speed. Speed comes free with the time as you get stronger.
  • Pluto_Child
    Pluto_Child Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @softlyseeking Good for you! Don't let it intimidate you!! I'm really glad you decided to try for it right off the bat. You're awesome!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    im on week 2, did day 1 yesterday. tbh i found it ok, struggled with the 3rd run but after that was ok.

Im also managing to jog an extra 10-15 mins on the way back! never ever would i have done that 2-3 years ago!

I am dreading week 3 as it will be 3 min runs which im nervous about!
  • wiffe
    Options
    I made it through week 3 day 2 WOOHOO