Diet pills, good or all bad?

Options

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    fireheart5 wrote: »
    I asked because I wanted advice and I appreciate those who have provided advice, others are just condescending which is not needed. I will know in the future this is not a forum for genuine help.

Don't take things personally on a forum. People aren't attacking you.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    fireheart5 wrote: »
    I asked because I wanted advice and I appreciate those who have provided advice, others are just condescending which is not needed. I will know in the future this is not a forum for genuine help.
    Hey man, I quoted Yoda. No?
    A long time ago I tried some diet pills, diet candies, etc. I could feel my heart race so immediately stopped taking them and tossed the remainder. Never again.
    Diet candles have gotta be the WMD of diet-woo.
  • itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Some don't work, others are dangerous, the rest just prevent you from learning healthy habits.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Another +1 for @ninerbuff‌

Pills are just shortcuts and who knows what the long term side effects of those drugs could be or how they could interact with other things in your life. Just do it the hard way. There is something to be said about the journey and truly changing your lifestyle.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Sure many diet pills in the past were worthless and often downright dangerous. However, Contrave is composed of 2 drugs that have been in use for decades. One is an anti-depressant and the other is a drug to stop cravings for addictions. Sugar has been proven to be highly addictive. The anti-depressant wellbutrin has a side effect of decreased hunger and will likely improve one's mood which is often affected by excess weight. Therefore, I think Contrave is a reasonable and safe drug to try since to me obesity is a disease.

I started Metformin for pre-diabetes the end of September upon my request. Immediately almost all of my cravings were gone on the very first day. I was constantly plagued by cravings for sweets for the decade prior and found it impossible to maintain any sort of diet beyond 3 months. I really recommend that anyone struggling with obesity to ask for a glucose tolerance test with insulin levels done at the same time as all of the glucose levels to look for pre-diabetes or insulin resistance. I also recommend asking for Metformineven if they are normal since there have been some studies suggesting a benefit even in obese patients without insulin or glucose problems.

I started Contrave one month after the Metformin. I found the wellbutrin component made me jittery the first 2 or 3 weeks so I quit caffeine immediately and stayed on only one pill of Contrave a day. The jitters went away after the first few weeks as expected and I found one pill of Contrave a day gave me the extra control that I needed in addition to the Metformin. I have lost 20 pounds since then and I am very hopeful to lose even more now that the holidays are over. Usually at this time of year with the winter and the holidays I gain at least 20 pounds so I am very happy. I also find my so called willpower to be fantastic. In addition I have fullness with meals and even leftovers which I cannot remember having. I am not plagued by constant cravings anymore. I would recommend Metformin and Contrave as tools to help battle this awful disease. I do not see these drugs as impairing my ability to change my behaviors at all. In fact, these drugs have made it abundantly easier to change my eating and lifestyle behaviors.

Oh really? Who told you that?
  • InvaderGashloog
    InvaderGashloog Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My views are that they're horrible. I went through the whole crap with them. Hydroxycut messed me up, now it feels like I have to pee all the time, even when I don't (sorry, tmi). I tried this one Japanese diet pill (forgot the name), and it made no difference at all, but at least I felt no damage. -.-

They're a waste of money.
  • FinallyHopeful
    FinallyHopeful Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Just google it. There has been numerous studies regarding how sugar is just as or even more addictive than cocaine.

Here is just one doctor on sugar:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

• FinallyHopeful
    Options
    A long time ago I tried some diet pills, diet candies, etc. I could feel my heart race so immediately stopped taking them and tossed the remainder. Never again.

You probably had either phen-fen or some sort of amphetamine. Contrave is nothing like those sorts of drugs and it helps attack the root of the problem. Of course, you also need to be seeing a legitimate weight loss doctor and dietician as I am.

Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Just google it. There has been numerous studies regarding how sugar is just as or even more addictive than cocaine.

Here is just one doctor on sugar:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
    I'm not going to sit through a 90+ minute video to discover where this doctor said it, and googling will be useless - free country means you can say whatever you want. Furthermore, you made the claim, the burden of proof rests on you. Asking me to do the research for a claim that you made is a hallmark of intellectual dishonesty.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Hard work- its free!
  • FinallyHopeful
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »

Pills are just shortcuts and who knows what the long term side effects of those drugs could be or how they could interact with other things in your life. Just do it the hard way. There is something to be said about the journey and truly changing your lifestyle.

The 2 drugs that compose Contrave have been around for decades and have good safety records. As for doing things the hard way that is sometimes easier said than done especially when one is in the throws of the disease of obesity which is often accompanied by insulin resistance. As one doctor put it, if your insulin levels are high, the insulin grabs you by the shoulders and demands that you "Eat! Eat!" It can be very difficult to ignore what your body is telling you. Now of course if you catch obesity early on, it is probably easier to do it the hard way. But if you do not, then it becomes much harder. I think that accounts for the 97% failure rate when it comes to weight loss. After all it is a disease and not just sloth or gluttony.

• FinallyHopeful
    Options
    I'm not going to sit through a 90+ minute video to discover where this doctor said it, and googling will be useless - free country means you can say whatever you want. Furthermore, you made the claim, the burden of proof rests on you. Asking me to do the research for a claim that you made is a hallmark of intellectual dishonesty.

You are free to believe whatever you want. Then video is actually very good and this doctor has co-authored papers for the American Heart Association and its new recommendations on limiting sugar. 60 minutes has also done a piece on him as well as the New York Times. So you can continue putting your head in the sand for all I care. I just hope this info helps someone since the research on how bad sugar is for you is quite compelling.

• FinallyHopeful
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Hard work- its free!
    Do you really think that those who try Contrave do not have to work at it??? I actually do. It is now much easier though.
    Options

You are free to believe whatever you want. Then video is actually very good and this doctor has co-authored papers for the American Heart Association and its new recommendations on limiting sugar. 60 minutes has also done a piece on him as well as the New York Times. So you can continue putting your head in the sand for all I care. I just hope this info helps someone since the research on how bad sugar is for you is quite compelling.
    So no specific piece of evidence but a video I must wade through to see if you are even drawing the correct conclusion. Nice.
    edited February 2015
    Options

Also, you have now altered your claim. At first you stated that "sugar is more addictive than cocaine." Now you say the doctor talks about limiting consumption of sugar. Why have you moved the goal post?
  • FinallyHopeful
    Options
    Good article with links on the ill effects of sugar:
    well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/11/12/website-explores-sugars-effects-on-health/
  • FinallyHopeful
    Options
    Also, you have now altered your claim. At first you stated that "sugar is more addictive than cocaine." Now you say the doctor talks about limiting consumption of sugar. Why have you moved the goal post?

Wow. What an argumentative person you are! You are free to look up the research on the additive powers of sugar yourself.

edited February 2015
    Options
    Good article with links on the ill effects of sugar:
    well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/11/12/website-explores-sugars-effects-on-health/
    The blog notes that:

"The link between sugar and chronic disease has attracted increasing scientific scrutiny in recent years. But many studies have provided conflicting conclusions, and experts say part of the reason is that biased studies have clouded the debate."

There's obviously a lot of research out there, however, making such definitive statements as you have done hinges more on fear than facts.
    Options

Wow. What an argumentative person you are! You are free to look up the research on the additive powers of sugar yourself.
    I'm only "argumentative" because I pay attention. If you don't like being asked for evidence to back up your claims, I'm not the one who has a problem, perhaps it is you that does. This is how it works. You make a claim, you back it up.

You'll make no converts this way.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »

The 2 drugs that compose Contrave have been around for decades and have good safety records. As for doing things the hard way that is sometimes easier said than done especially when one is in the throws of the disease of obesity which is often accompanied by insulin resistance. As one doctor put it, if your insulin levels are high, the insulin grabs you by the shoulders and demands that you "Eat! Eat!" It can be very difficult to ignore what your body is telling you. Now of course if you catch obesity early on, it is probably easier to do it the hard way. But if you do not, then it becomes much harder. I think that accounts for the 97% failure rate when it comes to weight loss. After all it is a disease and not just sloth or gluttony.
    I'm pretty sure that even doctors who claim sugar is addictive -- and believe me, I eat LCHF, so I have heard it all -- do not recommend diet pills.