Eating MORE to weigh LESS ??

Options
I have recently found that my usual 1200-1300 calories/per day, is not enough to fuel my body. ESPECIALLY, when working out. And I have also found, that even though I am eating low calories, I am not losing any weight.....

So, MFP-er's, I have a question for you. What is your thought on eating MORE calories, with the intent of losing weight, and weighing LESS?

Prior, I was grazing throughout the day, but always choosing low-cal options. And then I would eat a large dinner with the family.. Now, I plan to eat a solid breakfast (about 450 calories), lunch (300), and dinner (about 450), With a couple of snacks in-between... To reach a total of 1500 kcals per day.

Is this a better option? Or am I just out of my mind? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! And feel free to add me!

Replies

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I suggest you check out the "Eat more to weigh less" group on the forum, it has been going strong for a long while. You're not out of your mind at all.

(Edited "put" to "out").
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFPs calorie goal then you should be eating 1200 cals PLUS exercise cals.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I suggest you check out the "Eat more to weigh less" group on the forum, it has been going strong for a long while. You're not out of your mind at all.

(Edited "put" to "out").
    ^^this^^
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I'm going to assume that your large dinner placed your calories higher than you believe they've been at, unless you've been cooking all the dinners yourself and figuring out portions through your recipe builder.

Pick whatever option you want. I eat as much as I possibly can to lose weight. I'm currently eating 2200 for a potential half lb loss per week, although I'm also on a break from weighing. If I eat below 2000 calories I get hungry and my gym performance worsens. I've lost weight eating no less than 1800 my entire time on MFP.

If you like grazing then graze. I eat breakfast and lunch most days at ~500 cals, and then I'm left with 1000 or more cals in the evening. Usually a 5hr window to eat when and what I want. I will usually eat a few meals in this time. This is the pattern that naturally emerged when I stopped dictating how many meals i could eat and how many cals they should have. On Sundays I find I"m more likely to be lazy as eff and just grab food throughout the entire day. I just ate a waaaay smaller breakfast than normal today. I'll probably go grab something else in a little bit, and then I'll have leftover beef stroganoff (sp?) and then who knows what else. This tends to work for me on the weekend.

Regardless of whatever method you choose, the important thing is tracking and logging accurately. Until you make sure that your logging is solid (weigh all solids and measure liquids, or at least measure everything; use correct entries, avoiding user-entered ones as much as possible, much easier to enter your own entries for boxed things you buy and keep the entries private, then use any USDA/non-asterisk entries for raw produce/etc; use your own recipes from the recipe builder; log every day or most days; eat very consistently to your goal; eat back exercise calories, at least half), I wouldn't really bother making any changes.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFPs calorie goal then you should be eating 1200 cals PLUS exercise cals.

This.

Or use TDEE-20%, which is pretty much the same thing. But the idea is not to starve yourself, to make the process sustainable, prevent binges, and fuel your body properly. Obviously though, you still have to eat at a deficit to lose weight.

I exercise pretty much every day for 30 minutes in average but I'm pretty sedentary otherwise, and I never ate less than 1600 calories when losing... I'm 36 (was 34 then) and 5'5" and I've lost 80 pounds (70 of those the first year). IMO there's no reason to ever eat less than 1500 calories, unless you're older and 5 feet or something.
  • smmorri
    smmorri Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    IMO there's no reason to ever eat less than 1500 calories, unless you're older and 5 feet or something.

Its funny you say this. Im not older, although I AM 5 foot.

Francl27 wrote: »
    Or use TDEE-20%, which is pretty much the same thing. But the idea is not to starve yourself, to make the process sustainable, prevent binges, and fuel your body properly. Obviously though, you still have to eat at a deficit to lose weight.

I think I am going to go with the TDEE (minus 20%) method.
    Thank you!

And thank you to everyone who responded. It was all very helpful.
  • PattiMackinnon
    PattiMackinnon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I saw a nutritionist today and she actually recommended I do this. Increase my caloric intake to 1800 calories per day. I have in the past few weeks been consuming between 1300 and 1500 calories per day combined with exercise and haven`t seen a significant scale victory. She said my body is hanging onto all the calories I consume due to it being in starvation mode. Still it seems odd to eat more to lose more but the only thing I have left to lose at this point is weight so I will give it a try and in a couple of weeks let you know how it is working for me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I saw a nutritionist today and she actually recommended I do this. Increase my caloric intake to 1800 calories per day. I have in the past few weeks been consuming between 1300 and 1500 calories per day combined with exercise and haven`t seen a significant scale victory. She said my body is hanging onto all the calories I consume due to it being in starvation mode. Still it seems odd to eat more to lose more but the only thing I have left to lose at this point is weight so I will give it a try and in a couple of weeks let you know how it is working for me.

I'd be finding another nutritionist....

• rachelbornstein
    rachelbornstein Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Don't ignore your nutritionalist. People shouldn't always be fixed on "You need to eat less to weigh less." Your metabolism might have had to do with the fact you weren't seeing much change in your weight since you started "dieting." If you aren't eating enough to "boost/kickstart" your metabolism, then you won't be burning as many calories as you think. Eating around 1800 will start your metabolism and mixed with your workouts then you can lose weight(: My sister actually ate more and lost weight. Just focus on what you're eating than how much you are eating. Portion control and healthy nutrition is the main key!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Don't ignore your nutritionalist. People shouldn't always be fixed on "You need to eat less to weigh less." Your metabolism might have had to do with the fact you weren't seeing much change in your weight since you started "dieting." If you aren't eating enough to "boost/kickstart" your metabolism, then you won't be burning as many calories as you think. Eating around 1800 will start your metabolism and mixed with your workouts then you can lose weight(: My sister actually ate more and lost weight. Just focus on what you're eating than how much you are eating. Portion control and healthy nutrition is the main key!

Your metabolism never stops unless you die. If a nutritionist is suggesting things to "kickstart" it or saying that "starvation mode" will happen, then they are not doing their job.

OP, are you logging everything you consume accurately? Using a food scale? Eating back your burned calories? You probably aren't eating 1200-1300 calories, so when you raise it and aren't accurately logging, you may end up gaining weight instead of losing it.
  • beets4us
    beets4us Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. You're better off getting advice from a Registered Dietician.
  • PattiMackinnon
    PattiMackinnon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Your metabolism never stops unless you die. If a nutritionist is suggesting things to "kickstart" it or saying that "starvation mode" will happen, then they are not doing their job.

OP, are you logging everything you consume accurately? Using a food scale? Eating back your burned calories? You probably aren't eating 1200-1300 calories, so when you raise it and aren't accurately logging, you may end up gaining weight instead of losing it.

Actually I have been measuring and logging everything I am eating. I do not eat back my exercise calories. And although it is true your metabolism doesn`t stop...I don`t think I said it did; it is slower for some than others. The person (nutritionist) I saw works for a government funded Bariatric Clinic supervised by doctors and nurses. I can`t say if this will work but I am willing to give it a try.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I'm going to assume that your large dinner placed your calories higher than you believe they've been at, unless you've been cooking all the dinners yourself and figuring out portions through your recipe builder.

Pick whatever option you want. I eat as much as I possibly can to lose weight. I'm currently eating 2200 for a potential half lb loss per week, although I'm also on a break from weighing. If I eat below 2000 calories I get hungry and my gym performance worsens. I've lost weight eating no less than 1800 my entire time on MFP.

If you like grazing then graze. I eat breakfast and lunch most days at ~500 cals, and then I'm left with 1000 or more cals in the evening. Usually a 5hr window to eat when and what I want. I will usually eat a few meals in this time. This is the pattern that naturally emerged when I stopped dictating how many meals i could eat and how many cals they should have. On Sundays I find I"m more likely to be lazy as eff and just grab food throughout the entire day. I just ate a waaaay smaller breakfast than normal today. I'll probably go grab something else in a little bit, and then I'll have leftover beef stroganoff (sp?) and then who knows what else. This tends to work for me on the weekend.

Regardless of whatever method you choose, the important thing is tracking and logging accurately. Until you make sure that your logging is solid (weigh all solids and measure liquids, or at least measure everything; use correct entries, avoiding user-entered ones as much as possible, much easier to enter your own entries for boxed things you buy and keep the entries private, then use any USDA/non-asterisk entries for raw produce/etc; use your own recipes from the recipe builder; log every day or most days; eat very consistently to your goal; eat back exercise calories, at least half), I wouldn't really bother making any changes.

You eat in a 5 hr window?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Oh my goodness, have you thought of finding another nutritionist? Starvation mode does not happen to the common dieter.

What the original poster is talking about is taking that calorie range you need to lose weight and having it a bit higher (for a lower margin of error) rather than a bit lower (a higher margin of error), because then her body will be properly fueled. A properly fueled body run very well and can handle all your activities of daily living, including exercise.

If you had truly been consuming 1200-1500 calories a day you would have been losing weight. First, make sure you calorie counting is accurate, and then raise your calories withing your deficit range to see how you feel and if your weight loss is in line with what you want.

• errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options

Actually I have been measuring and logging everything I am eating. I do not eat back my exercise calories. And although it is true your metabolism doesn`t stop...I don`t think I said it did; it is slower for some than others. The person (nutritionist) I saw works for a government funded Bariatric Clinic supervised by doctors and nurses. I can`t say if this will work but I am willing to give it a try.

Measuring your food, or weighing it on a food scale? Measuring can be very inaccurate causing you to be eating more calories than you think. Also "starvation mode" is a myth.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    smmorri wrote: »
    I have recently found that my usual 1200-1300 calories/per day, is not enough to fuel my body. ESPECIALLY, when working out. And I have also found, that even though I am eating low calories, I am not losing any weight.....

So, MFP-er's, I have a question for you. What is your thought on eating MORE calories, with the intent of losing weight, and weighing LESS?

Prior, I was grazing throughout the day, but always choosing low-cal options. And then I would eat a large dinner with the family.. Now, I plan to eat a solid breakfast (about 450 calories), lunch (300), and dinner (about 450), With a couple of snacks in-between... To reach a total of 1500 kcals per day.

Is this a better option? Or am I just out of my mind? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! And feel free to add me!

I am all for eating the highest amount of calories you can to lose weight. I've been in maintenance for over a year, but when I was losing weight I raised my calories so that I would lose .5 pounds per week rather than 2 pounds, or even one pound, but that was only after I made sure I was accurate in my logging.

That said, are you accurately counting your calories? I mean, as in weighing and logging all your food? In order to succeed at a calorie increase, you have to know how much you are eating. The truth is if you are not losing a single pound at what you believe to be 1200 to 1300 calories, you will not lose at at an increased calorie level.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    errollm wrote: »

Measuring your food, or weighing it on a food scale? Measuring can be very inaccurate causing you to be eating more calories than you think. Also "starvation mode" is a myth.
    Yep.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I know, I was saying that to the person I quoted.

Measuring cups are not going to be as accurate as you want. A food scale is your best option, as it can give you an exact weight of what you're eating.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Saw a lot of measuring entrees in your diary.
    So i think you eat more calories than you think.

Good example is a small avocado... what is small???
    i had 3.2 oz avocado 3 days ago 144 calories and that was half the avocado ( and that was not even a big avocado). So you better weigh all your solid foods and measure your liquids

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    smmorri wrote: »

How long have you not been losing? You should be eating at least part of your exercise calories back. If you are at a deficit you will lose, if your at too high of a deficit your bodies reaction is to hold onto water. I would try eating your calories goal and not exercise for 2-3 days, if it's water you should see a drop around day 3. If this is the case, go back to what you were doing but eat at least 50% of your exercise calories back. If you notice your not losing again, take another couple days at calorie with no exercise and see if you have a drop again, if that's the case increase the number of exercise calories your eating,