Weight loss without exercise

Options
I want to lose 15 pounds without exercising. How many calories would I need to eat to lose this weight without working out. I'm 5 foot 5 and weight 185 pounds.

Replies

• delyn356
    delyn356 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Is there a certain reason you don't want to exercise? Although diet is a huge factor (& maybe most important) in weight loss, exercise is beneficial...

But if for some physical or medical reason you are unable to do so, then you should try to work out your TDEE and go from there. There's lots of online calculators that can try and help you figure out around how many cals you should be eating.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Put your stats into MFP, along with your goals and it will spit out the magic number.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Use this calculator; http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • karenjkaluzny
    Options
    How do you figure out the body fat?
  • karenjkaluzny
    Options
    I have a hard time exercising especially when I am so out of shape and need to do things little at a time but feel it's not enough.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Put your stats into MFP, along with your goals and it will spit out the magic number.

This.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 15 pounds without exercising. How many calories would I need to eat to lose this weight without working out. I'm 5 foot 5 and weight 185 pounds.

52,500 less then your maintenance intake.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    delyn356 wrote: »
    Is there a certain reason you don't want to exercise? Although diet is a huge factor (& maybe most important) in weight loss, exercise is beneficial...

But if for some physical or medical reason you are unable to do so, then you should try to work out your TDEE and go from there. There's lots of online calculators that can try and help you figure out around how many cals you should be eating.

MFP with no exercise logged is doing exactly what you are saying.

Non-exercise TDEE, with a deficit.

OP - as suggested, so just to ditto it.

Just use MFP as designed - but select 1/2 lb weekly weight loss goal.

With no exercise, there is no need for about 20% of the weight to be muscle mass - you'll regret that later - like trying to eating at maintenance.

So you need to take a smaller deficit to prevent that from being as bad as it could be.

You didn't gain it fast, you don't need to lose it fast.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I'd like to know the answer to this too. A lot of the calculators ask what your body fat % is. I wouldn't have a clue what mine is

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    Options
    Sure it does work without working out. I've been working out and am guessing that my workouts are at around 150-230kcal per workout. I had several periods of not doing so due to being sick or on trips. I'd still lose weight, though probably a tiny bit less. With say.. 175x4 per week that's 700 kcal I could eat eat more (or only half of it as recommended here), or lose 100 grams more per week (that's mathematically. I don't know if it's really true).

With that little to lose it's probably good to set MFP to lose 1/2 pound per week. It's slow, but you'll preserve more muscles mass. Though working out to preserve more would probably be better, and it's more fun. And you do get fitter to do other things in the future.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Use the comparative meathod to get you started. It's accurate enough.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    OP there's a great website / app you can use for this! It's called myfitnesspal.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Cookieinbk82, until I was in my 50s, the only time I had a weight problem was after I had my two children. I lost weight by cutting calories to under 1,000 a day and lost it all in six weeks without exercising. Of course then I smoked. As soon as I quit smoking, I gained a tremendous amount of weight. Exercising helps me to quit eating so much, as I'm not hungry after I exercise. Hope this helps.
  • cazpom37
    cazpom37 Posts: 88 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    i have mobility issues so i can barely walk never mind exercise but i managed to lose 2 and half stone. slowly but it does come off. just have to change your diet a little more, eat smaller portions and make healthier choices. it can be done without exercise. good luck :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

nailed it

why do people overcomplicate things?
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    'Exercise' doesn't necessarily have to mean going overboard at the gym. Maybe try introduce some gentle walking into your routine; you'd be surprised at how quickly you are able to increase the amount you do, and it will help hugely with weight loss.
    At my heaviest I couldn't walk very far, and that was exactly how I started out.