Running 5k and temp is only going to be 8 degree's.

Options
Is this a safe temp to run outside? The lowest I have gone is 20 degree's. Little nervous about this temp. Has anyone else ever run at this temp? If so - what did you wear to keep warm? Any other suggestions on how to get through this would be helpful as well. I really would like to run this race, but I want to be safe as well.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    wear winter running gear...you'll be fine.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I run in -25.

That temp is perfectly safe for running - just make sure you dress appropriately.

Wear wicking layers, and an outer layer that has wind-breaking qualities. Wool running socks are amazing if you tend to get cold feet. Something to cover your hands (you can always stash mitts or gloves in your pocket if your hands get too warm). something to cover your ears / head.
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Wow! I live in Florida and think running in 50 degree weather is difficult! I did live in Ohio for a spell and remember it being kinda of exhilarating. But I couldn't hang! LOL
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Is this Celsius or Fahrenheit?
    Because 8 degrees Celsius is great for running. You warm up quick. If its windy I will wear a light wind breaker or just a long sleeve shirt, if its not windy I would just wear short sleeves. I went running yesterday in 6 degree temperature with capris and a t shirt.

If you are talking Fahrenheit then 8 degrees equals -13.3 Celsius. Then I wear long sleeve running shirt, light windbreaker, hat, gloves, long running pants and wool leg warmers for my ankles.

You always want to wear clothes as if its 10-20 degrees warmer out because you will warm up as you run, making the extra layers uncomfortable.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    wear winter running gear...you'll be fine.

this-

And I'd add: easily removable layers- I like semi fitted- so I can take it off while I'm running after I warm up- I really don't like getting to the point where I'm sweating through layers and layers- that's uncomfortable and miserable.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Do a google search for the Runner's World What to Wear tool. It's a lifesaver and has taught me so much about what's appropriate in certain temperatures. Sometimes it's less than you think!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    we lived WAY up North for a year. Cross country ski races in Northwest Territories had a rule if it was -20 or colder you MUST wear a hat! Cross country skiing is ver similar to running in terms of effort and cardio work.

You should be fine. I use a buff-a lightweight neck tube-than can convert to hood etc. a hat, long underwear or running tights -a running shirt and fleece vest-and a wind jacket. Wear mitts or gloves, and a light weight hat. Longer and warmer socks.

Have fun!
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    start with a neck gaitor covering your face while you wait for the race to start. Wear things that you can unzip a little if you get too hot, like a quarter zip pullover. Or use layers that you don't mind ditching (like ls t-shirt or sweatshirt that you get at a thrift shop). Make sure you have warm dry clothes at the end of the race to put on over your damp clothes.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    My last dozen or so runs where in temps around there. I just grabbed a hoodie and some gloves. I still ran in shorts, but the cold has never really bothered my legs once I get going. You might try some warm ups or something like that, if you aren't a fan. Personally, I sort of like it. I stay at a more comfortable temp, and I barely end up sweating which is always an awesome development.
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses. It is 8 degree's Fahrenheit. I read that you should always dress 20 degree's warmer. I have to wear compression socks due to vein issues in my legs, but may put wool over them since they are very light. They also just said winds will be 25-35mph. Should be an interesting run for me. :smile:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just don't run naked