Adding protein without adding other stuff

Options
h3h8m3
h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
I want to increase my daily protein intake, but I don't want to increase my fat, or sodium to do it. All of my favorite protein sources are loaded with one (nuts) or the other (lunch meats). The key is that is needs to be something I can eat at work, or all at once when I get home. I want to add somewhere in the range of 100g per day.

Do I need to go with a protein powder, or is there a better way?

Replies

• Forensi
    Forensi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Grilled Chicken Breast or any of the Game meats.

If I want protein I eat things like Chicken, Turkey, Kangaroo Sausages things like that.

They do have some fat in them but the Protein outweighs the fat by a long way.
  • holly0623
    holly0623 Posts: 66
    Options
    Greek yogurt, egg whites, cottage cheese, chicken breast, tuna. Those all have a lot of protein , but low in fat!
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I drink protein powder to up my protein intake BC I don't want to eat all that meat. I only eat chicken and tofu and you can only eat so much of that before you bore. I would rather drink the protein and call it a day.
  • liswar
    liswar Posts: 25
    Options
    I have read the suggestion of skim milk - drinking a nice, big, cold glass within "the magic hour" after training...
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Actually, nuts is an excellent option, even with the fat. It is, after all, mostly unsaturated fats. When my husband's "good" cholesterol was low and "bad" was a bit high, the doc suggested nuts because of the unsaturated fats. You can cut a bit of fat out elsewhere.
    And nuts are yummy!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I love my protein shakes in the morning - post workout for me. If you want to get it up to 100 I think it would be wise to add one. There are zillions of things you can put in them - lots of recipes - just Google. I get one that is low cal and low sugar - Designer Whey - use French Vanilla more than the Chocolate.
  • SlowlyLosingLolita
    SlowlyLosingLolita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Edamame and spinach are both really good sources.
  • rickymare
    rickymare Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Protein powders is the best way to get a good amount of protein for the least amount of calories. Look for the ON Gold Standard or Twin Labs. They are on sale a lot. Just make sure the Carbs and the Fat are really low. http://tinyurl.com/3epzsu4 this one is about 25 bucks for subscribe and save. You can cancel after they ship. Low fat, low carbs, low cal and over 20 grams of protein. I blend myne with fruit for breakfast and I love it. 200 cals
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Protein powder, for sure.

I use Beyond Organic RAW vegan, gluten-free powder. 80 calories/scoop. 18 g protein.

I blend it in a shake with:
    - 1 cup soy milk
    - 1 7" banana
    - 2 tbsp. peanut butter
    - 3 squares Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate
    - 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
    - 1/8 tsp. nutmeg

AMAZING. Love it. :)
  • morningmom
    morningmom Posts: 100
    Options
    How about fish, like salmon? I get mine from costco and just bake it...delish!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, I set my goals for protein/carbs/fat to 30/30/40 and it is hard to get to my protein goals without a lot of planning! but you can check out my diary. For example, if I make up a quiche on Sunday and have that for breakfast for four days, then a cup of greek yogurt with berries, then salad with chicken for lunch, some almonds for a snack and steak, meatloaf, or turkey burgers or dinner. I made up a bunch of turkey burgers too, with onion and mushroom and took those for lunch too.
    I firmly believe that fat doesn't make you fat, simple carbs do.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna. Look for kinds with low sodium. It's not tasty, but it's nothing some pepper and chilli powder can't fix.
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    Protein powder really is a super easy and occasionally ridiculously delicious way to get it. (re: protein brownies. By the way, chocolate protein powder, instant espresso mix and an egg makes a really healthy, yummy one. Try black bean brownies for protein too!)

Honestly, fat is not a culprit - studies have shown that a high-fat but calorie-controlled diet is actually beneficial for weight loss, plus it's great for your body in all sorts of ways. Don't shy away from fat!

However, I do understand that we're trying to control calories here, and more fat means more calories. There are low-sodium variations of most lunch meats. I usually get turkey. Also, look at the potassium content of some of the things that are higher in sodium. Biologically, potassium negates most of the effects of sodium. My liquid egg whites have a decent amount of sodium in them, but the potassium measurement is within 10mg. Egg whites provide something like 14g protein per half cup serving, which is only 60 calories :)
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Most days I get 100-150g of protein and never go over on fat or calories. I quit eating lunch meat because of the sodium. I eat eggs, chicken, tuna, natural peanut butter, and protein shakes. If you like lunch meat try cooking your own chicken and cutting thin slices and use that on sandwiches or whatever you use lunch meat for. I also use unflavored protein powder and make a smoothie after I work out. Put sliced hard boiled eggs on a salad to add protein and not much fat (I take that to work a lot). There are lots of ways to get protein without much fat.
  • lolabugs
    lolabugs Posts: 141
    Options
    Greek yogurt, egg whites, cottage cheese, chicken breast, tuna. Those all have a lot of protein , but low in fat!

Just a little reminder to all the women of child-bearing age: It is recommended to not exceed 1 can of tuna per month due to mercury contamination. It can cause birth defects among other health issues. I have to be careful because I love tuna sandwiches as well as tuna nigiri and rolls when I have sushi.
  • jeannas
    jeannas Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    BOars head roast beef from deli. Had lowest sodium of all meats 80 vs 300+ 14g of protein 2 oz.
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    I use EAS Whey protein in vanilla falvor. I bought it from target for $21. Its 100% whey which is important. I just drink it with 1 cup of almond milk (60 calories).
    Here is what a scoop of they whey:
    calories130
    carbs 3
    fat 3
    protein 23
    sugar 1
    sodium.50

I also eat Greek yogurt everyday. And i buy salmon filet frozen a big bag from target. Nice to have them for days I need something healthy to cook. Then I bake them or throw them on the grill. Also check out the Boca meatless products. Love the burgers some have black beans in them high in protein!
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Great ideas in here. Some that I can actually do at work. But it sounds like if I want to get serious about adding protein, a shake is the way to go.