A miracle!

Hi All,

I didn't know where to post this. It doesn't have anything to do with weight loss. But I just want to shout out to the world how excited and relieved and happy I am today. I've experienced a success like I've never experienced before, and I want to tell everyone.

My mother has been very sick for about three years. She is a severe diabetic, has congestive heart failure and COPD in addition to a number of other things. Well, the doctors finally determined she needed open-heart surgery. She needed a valve replaced as well as a single bypass. We were terrified, especially since one said she was too weak and sick and would not make it through, but others said she'd be okay and they said it was her only choice.

Long story short, my mother made it with flying colors through the surgery. We were so relieved. I went home that night, seeing that she was still under anesthesia, put my phone in one room to charge and passed out from exhaustion. Well, about an hour later, my sisters who were in town were pounding on my door. They said the hospital called and my mother wasn't waking up. It was so scary. We rushed to the hospital and they said she was unresponsive and that she should be up by then.

Long story short, during the surgery, my mother had several massive strokes. The debris from her heart and plaque and blood clots sprayed up into her brain. They said it was widespread and severe brain damage.

We were devastated. One doctor told my sister not to leave; she was supposed to return home the next day. Another said we should talk to hospice and they gave us a "guarded" prognosis, which is one step above hopeless. They said chances were slim to none that she'd ever regain awareness. For three days, we tried to rouse her, and she moved one arm a little, but they said her other arm was paralyzed and the side of her face. I didn't care about the arm. I was more concerned with her mind.

I was also focused on the fact that before the surgery, she was transferred to the hospital where the surgeon was, and she was "counseled" and made to sign papers. My mother, who was ill and disoriented from being moved and terrified. i wasn't there at the time because I was picking my sister up from the airport. So, somewhere in the fine print of one of the many forms she signed, they said there was a chance of a stroke. They certainly did not tell her the truth: it was a probability that this would happen. She met every risk factor for post-operative stroke. If she'd known, she would not have done the surgery. I am sure of it.

I mourned her all last night. I'd given up hope I'd ever even hear her voice again, or that she'd ever look at me and know who I was. I was completely despondent. I also decided to work today because everyone else was with her and in my job, it's very hard to be out (I'm a teacher, and it involves getting subs and preparing lessons and such and I thought it woudl be less stressful to go).

Anyway, long story short again (I know, this is long), but she woke up and started talking today!!!!! I couldn't believe it. When the nurse called me to tell me, I almost dropped the phone. It was the last thing I thought I'd hear. Then, I feared it was only temporary and she'd lapse into the vegetative state she'd been in the last three days. But no, all day I kept in touch with my sisters and she was talking and even making jokes. My sister put her on the phone and she told me she loved me. I never thought I'd hear her voice again and she told me she loved me.

She still has a long, long way to go and she's not out of the woods yet. We've read that those who have a stroke or series of strokes like her have a high chance of another one and/or a heart attack. But the neurologist is hopeful and says whatever the tests show tomorrow, her amazing improvement in just a day makes him think she'll continue to improve and hopefully regain most of her functionality. The other thing is, I'd feared if she ever awoke that she'd be blind since the part of her brain that controls vision was badly hit. Well, she seems to be able to see and hear. Her one arm is still not moving, but she did feel when I tickled it. If that's the worst thing she's left with, so be it.

Anyway, it's a success I wanted to share with you and anyone who will listen (okay, okay, I even told the guy at the gas station!!!). I have never been very religious, but today, I am a believer in miracles and some higher being because whoever that is, he or she touched my mother and brought her back to me.

Replies

• Happy to read the good at the end of your post. I lost my Mother on 10/31/2013 and I miss her dearly. Enjoy and treasure each day you have with your Mom.
  • georgygirl
    georgygirl Posts: 104 Member
    So glad she is ok.
  • akhilc
    akhilc Posts: 104 Member
    The post made me smile :). Here's wishing your mom good health and fast recovery !!
  • VanessaRudden
    VanessaRudden Posts: 198 Member
    Hope your Mum makes a full recovery! Good Luck!
  • Ajaxlost
    Ajaxlost Posts: 46 Member
    How blessed you are! I lost my mom who had COPD, diabetes, and heart disease 15 years ago. Sadly, she wasn't a candidate for surgery because of her weight. We miss her very much. Enjoy and cherish every second you have with your mom! Thanks for sharing your story :)
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Thank you all! It makes me even more motivated to get healthy. I've got the diet and exercise down. Now, to quit smoking. It's the only bad thing I do now, but it's terrible. I know it. I have to find the strength, but I'm getting much closer. I'm sorry for those of you who lost your mother or anyone else. I've never lost someone close. I cherish every moment with her always, but especially now. She's always been my very best friend. I never thought I'd hear her voice again. I'm so thankful I was able to hear it again today. It was the best sound I've ever heard!
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    I'm glad she's on the mend :smile: And the fitter and healthier you are, the more able you will be to support her. I think all of us take our parents for granted a bit, and it's something I'd like to improve on myself. There's a good lesson for all of us in this.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    I am so glad to hear that your mother is doing better!
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    I'm so glad you're using this miracle for your mom to be the kick in the butt for your own health changes! I wish you and your mom lots of success.
  • dinobomp
    dinobomp Posts: 170 Member
    I am very happy about your good news. I've often wondered if my boys would really care if I was "gone" . It's nice that you care so much for your mom, and I'm so glad she did wake up!!! I hope she continues to improve. :-)
  • jensiegel39
    Thank you! We found a great stroke rehab place we're sending her to after the hospital. There are still a lot of cognitive issues, but we're just so glad her have her back. I also think she may have some major vision loss, but hopefully she regains it as she progresses. We haven't told her yet she had a stroke, and she hasn't seemed to wonder why she can't move her left arm or why they're doing all these tests on her or why she can't see. I guess it's good and bad that she seems oblivious to many things. But again, we're just so thankful she made it through that dealing with these smaller issues is manageable. And I definitely plan to get healthier by quitting smoking; I've never felt more motivated. Being at the hospital for the last week and a half and seeing so many sick people makes me realize how precious life and health are.
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    I am very happy to hear that your story as a happy ending - I have lost my father seven years ago and still miss him every day - yes, treasure the time you have with your mother
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    So wonderful to read this. Very very happy for you and your family.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Wow what a great story of hope and healing.
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    edited February 2015
    So glad for you, Mom and your sisters. Great news and I hope the healing continues. I lost my Mom to Alzheimers on 9/11/14. Love everyone moment you have with your Mom and your sisters, I also lost my sister to cancer on 3/17/14. You never know what life has in store for you - savor every moment.
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    I completely understand your story. My mother has COPD, Type 2 Diabetis and is on oxygen 24/7. She was in the hospital last year, and then had to stay in a nursing home while she recovered from some procedures. She lost about 200 pounds while she was in, but at over 400 she is still pretty overweight, and she can't really move around (especially with the breathing problems).
    I fear for her because I feel as if she has given up on the idea of getting better and I pray for a miracle for her everyday...I'm so glad your mother had hers. Wishing you and your family well. :smiley:
  • jensiegel39
    Thank you all! It's hard when you watch someone you care about not take care of themselves. I don't know if all my mother's health problems were from not eating properly and smoking most of her life, but I think most could have been avoided. But I think like your mother, she'd given up on the idea of getting better. She really didn't see a problem with eating a cheeseburger and fries when we went out to dinner. I'd remind her of all her health problems, and she'd say, yeah, you're right, but if I wasn't there, she'd be eating those types of unhealthy foods without any reservations. I don't know how she'll be now, after all of this, but I'm hoping we can get her into a better assisted living with better, healthier foods and that when we do go out to eat (which won't be often as I think restaurant food is for the most part really unhealthy), I can control what she's eating. Anyway, until this past year, i was like her. Invincible, not at all concerned about what I ate, even though the scale kept showing weight gain. I'd given up. I can now see how my sister, who runs marathons and is a vegan, felt about me also. Frustrated. Hoping I'd turn it around. Baffled by my lack of concern for my health. My pre-diabetic diagnosis which kicked off my weight loss journey and now this make me know that I'll always be health conscious. It's not just about looking good anymore. I don't want to end up the way she has, and even though she is much better than a few days ago, she now has brain damage and vision issues. I don't know if they'll get better. I don't know if she'll ever be the same. And I don't want to run that risk by not taking care of myself.

I am so glad to have her back in any capacity, but it really has made me realize so many things about health and thinking well enough of myself that I can make my diet and exercise a high high priority.

And thanks to MFP because without it, i don't know if I would have been this successful! Everyone I've told about it has lost weight by following the "plan" and becoming an active community member. It's just so easy. I'm not on a diet. And it motivates me to "be good" all day because I know I have to log my eating and exercise, and I'm proud when I follow it and eat well and get in my calorie-burn goal for the day.

I guess I'm just feeling very thankful for a lot of things now, including all your encouragement and wishing us well! So, thank you MFP family!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!