improving body composition at maintanence

Options
taso42_DELETED
taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
My current plan currently has me eating at a calorie deficit (roughly 500 cal/day below maintenance). My plan was to reach 9% body fat and then begin a sort of lean bulking stage - building new muscle while keeping body fat % the same. My estimate of what weight I should be to have this body fat percent was 145 lbs, but at 146 lbs and about 12.5% body fat currently, my calculations were a bit off somewhere. I'm not particular keen on the idea of going below 145 lbs... I guess it's partially (or maybe even fully) psychological.

So I am currently entertaining the thought up upping my calories to the maintenance level, continue lifting heavy 3 days/week and HIIT cardio 3 days per week. My thought is that I can stay at approximately this same weight, but build new muscle and burn fat, thereby still reaching that 9% body fat goal. My macro ratios are at 40/40/20 protein/carb/fat. I stay pretty close to those numbers in practice. If anything, the protein is a tad higher and carbs a bit lower.

How feasible does this sound? I will consider all the advice in this thread, but my mind is more or less made up to switch to maintenance mode, at least for a few weeks. My body is screaming for a break from the deficit.

The main uncertainty I have is this - based on most of what I've read, the only way to build new muscle is to eat at a surplus. It won't happen at maintenance or at a deficit, except for "beginners" or for genetic oddities. I'm neither a beginner nor genetic oddity.

This seed was planted in me when I recently watched the documentary "I Want To Look Like That Guy". For the first several weeks of his transformation, he was essentially eating maintenance and working out hard. His scale weight stayed about the same but body composition improved. Was this "the beginner effect", or just plain normal?

Replies

• hifinm
    hifinm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You have done great getting to where you are at. I am still working on losing. I went a saw a sports nutriiionist and it was awesome. You should consider doing the same. You will be able to get better results with a personalized plan. I joined a gym that caters to athletes with a total plan. Working out, nutrition, health and building up your core.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Bump because I'm interested xD
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    The main uncertainty I have is this - based on most of what I've read, the only way to build new muscle is to eat at a surplus. It won't happen at maintenance or at a deficit, except for "beginners" or for genetic oddities. I'm neither a beginner nor genetic oddity.

Bump!

Taso42, sorry I don't have an answer, but I just realized that I picked a somewhat 'arbitrarily' goal weight based on a BF% goal.
    I used a reverse calculator that takes your current weight and BF% and just 'does the math'.
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/

But I am realizing that I need to research more about building muscle by eating a surplus!!

ETA: I am unfamiliar w/ the character that is your new pic, but dammmmn that ninja star looks painful!
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    You should probably at least be at maintenance cals. Everything I've read tells me its super difficult to build muscle on a deficit. But at least at maintenance you have more of a chance. I didn't revere your diary but make sure you're eating at least your body weight in grams of protein a day. ... I'm sure you can though. Especially upping your protein. You a may end up gaining a few more pounds but lose some fat in the exchange.
  • tellybelle
    tellybelle Posts: 144
    Options
    bump to follow ;)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping you are right, because that is what I'm hoping to accomplish as well. I still have about 10 more pounds until I am at my goal weight, so I changed myself to 1/2 lb/week hoping I can at least maintain muscle mass. I think I will shoot for a range of 165 to 180. on maintenance, either bulking, or cutting.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Definitely think you're on the right track. How are you measuring body fat?
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bumped
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I've kinda been in the same pickle. And I think we have similar beliefs about it. A while back I reached my target weight but then realized I wanted to look more shredded. At that point I took resistance training more serious, and because I didn't want to keep getting lighter I switched to maintenance cals. I'm becoming more & more convinced that for those of us who are already in our target 'range' it's more about getting a better muscle base, then focus on losing fat. So I'm pretty much agreeing with what you're suggesting. Go on maintenance cals & keep heavy lifting, focus less on regular cardio (don't know how much you are doing), continue HIIT. Then when the muscle base is there, it may be easier to get those last few pounds of fat off.

I've been doing this same modification for about a month & I'm starting to see a little more definition, but I do think I need to give it more time. My problem is I'm not confident in my BF readings. I have one of those impedance scales and the calipers, but it's so easy to do the calipers incorrectly (heck I can go online & find differing ways to perform the test) that I don't trust my own testing. Basically I just rely on what I see in the mirror.

Good luck.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    great qustion taso! I agree with tharrop- think it sounds like a good idea to try maintanence, keep lifting heavy and throw in some cardio. You have made amazing progress! In your pics it is hard to believe you are the same guy.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So, 2 things to keep in mind with this line of thought.

First, how to reduce your body fat, and second, how to build lean muscle mass.

Unlike trying to lose WEIGHT, it's not impossible to lose fat and build muscle at the same time.
    BUT
    It is very hard to do both at the same time quickly.

In other words, it's not that tough to do one OR the other, then switch, but to do both you have to be pretty meticulous
    with your diet, and keep very good track of not only the calories, but the types of exercise, their durations, what your limits are, and how your progressions are going.
    Not saying you shouldn't be doing this anyway, you just have a much smaller margin for error if you do both at once.
    my personal feeling (after trying both methods) is that it's far less difficult to try to add some lean mass, then cut some body fat, doing each phase for about 60 to 90 days.

As to the plan, I would usually tell someone at this stage to try to have a very minimal deficit, if any at all, during mass building phase you should be about 100 to 200 calories OVER your maintenance, doing this should give you about 1 to 2 lbs/ month, and about 80% of that should be lean tissue if you're doing 3 days of resistance training a week. Cutting fat phase should be about 100 to 250 below maintenance and 2 days of full body resistance training.
    For both of these phases, the remaining days should be either anaerobic cardio (HIIT, boot camps, circuits...etc.) or hard cardio with 1 day of either light cardio or complete rest. You should be able to shave off between 2 and 3 percent in about 90 days doing that.
    Of course it goes without saying, that if you do this, this is outside the bounds of what is considered just simple weight loss, and you can no longer do the old "cheat meals" and/or "days off". You need to be pretty dillegent. Once you get to where you want to be, you can be a little more lenient, but while you're in these phases, your body will be very sensitive to fluctuations, and monitoring and recording your routines and nutrition are super important.

I won't go into exact macro nutrient percentages, as that depends a lot on your specific body type, how much lean tissue you have, your genetics, age, weight, sex, and about five bazillion other factors. The first time you try this it may take a month or two to figure out exactly what works for you. But if you write everything down, monitor results closely, and do the occasional body fat test (should only do body fat testing once a month to once every 6 weeks, doing it more than that will only drive you crazy) to make sure you're on track.

So yeah, it's not easy, nor is it quick, but I guess you guys probably figured that out already.

hope this helps,

best luck, let me know how it goes.

--Banks
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Same problem here, and struggling aswell. Still working at it, getting the body bugg to stop the guess work!
  • c4vicious
    c4vicious Posts: 8
    Options
    Cycle your kcals and macros throughout the week. In other words, if you're training 3x per week, eat 600 kcals over maintenance on those days, and 450 under maintenance on rest days. Weekly kcals will be at maintenance but you will be supporting hypertrophy on training days by eating a surplus, and you will be supporting fat loss on rest days by eating a deficit.

Furthermore, protein should be high every day. Aim for 1.5g per lb of LBM. Carbs should be high on training days to support leptin levels and muscle protein synthesis, and fat should be kept low to maximize the intake of carbs and protein. On rest days, carbs should be low and only consumed in the form of fibrous veggies and a very modest amount of fruit/berries. By eating this way on rest days you keep insulin to a minimum and let the leptin do it's job by burning away the fat. Fat is kept high to regulate other hormones, testosterone etc...

Following a plan like this with consistency and lifting hard, heavy, and low volume 3 x per week will allow you to build muscle and lose fat at the same time, but only if you follow it very consistently.

Good Luck
  • 3aBadkids
    3aBadkids Posts: 78
    Options
    bump
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    First, who cares what the scale says. We all tend to underestimate how much weight we need to lose to hit a certain bodyfat, me being one of them. I am ok with whatever the scale says when I get where I am going.

To answer your question, I think Leangains intermittent fasting would be the way to go to accomplish your goals. http://www.leangains.com/
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    bump to read later :flowerforyou:
  • c4vicious
    c4vicious Posts: 8
    Options
    Leangains intermittent fasting would be the way to go to accomplish your goals. http://www.leangains.com/

^^ This
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    dropping you're carbs to well below 100gm per day, and upping the fat content of you're diet to compensate will work also. :)
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of the books "The Ultimate Lean Routine" by Greg Isaacs. It's out of print, but a great resource for cross training and eating right to reduce your body fat. You could try your local library or I grabbed a copy on Amazon fairly cheaply.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining since I hit my goal weight in Sept 2010. At first, I had set a new goal weight of 140lbs, but my body has really fought me on it. So, I stopped trying to fight it. I upp'ed my calories to maintenance calories. I started doing more with the weights and less with cardio. I still workout 3 days a week, but I've definitely changed my routine a lot and will change it again in a few months when I suspect my body grows used to this routine. I'm hoping to build more muscle tone and perhaps burn a bit more fat too. The scale isn't budging and that's okay. I feel like perhaps I'm at my ideal weight and now it is time to make it look leaner and more toned. So, that's what I'm doing. I can already see a difference in my arms and I know my waist is smaller than it was.