Do you subtract calories from weight lifting?

Options
2»

Replies

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    What I log for for an hour of lifting is a little less than I get for an hour walk at 3.5 mph. About 170 calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What I log for for an hour of lifting is a little less than I get for an hour walk at 3.5 mph. About 170 calories.

Yep, makes no sense to me that I would burn more hardly sweating (polar gives me almost 500 cals for 45 steady mins on my mycrosstrainer) but way less for a 90 min superset weightlifting session and 10 minutes of hit when I am droppdripping ing with sweat (think mfp gives me less than 500 or about the same for harder work at double the timetime and polar 800 or so which make more sense to me!)

I also agree about red, my cals are OK right now but but not logging the right workout cals etc messes my macros up big time!

When you are walking you are "lifting and carrying" your entire bodyweight over a significant distance.
    Think about how much weight you lifted during your weights session and and only moved it a relatively short distance.

Does that make more sense?

Forget sweating - that's overheating.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    when I am droppdripping ing with sweat

Sweat is not an indicator of energy expended.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Cool, thank you both for the info on that because I was totally thinking that sweating my buns off was a great sign of a good workout haha!

In both threads discussing this you've had pretty clear explanations of why resistance work doesn't burn a significant volume of calories. CV work and resistance work have very different effects, so think about them in those terms.

CV work improves stamina and capacity whilst consuming a significant volume of calories, resistance work is about composition.

If I do a 13 mile training run, I'll burn off around 1300-1500 calories in that 110 minutes. An hour of resistance training could credit me about 200 cals, because it's slower, much more limited in terms of movement and includes periods of lower activity changing exercise. In the grand scheme of things not accounting for that 200 cals isn't making a huge difference to outcomes.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited February 2015
    Options
    just about nothing doing sprint intervals regardless of the fact that it might burn less calories than walking or running...that just seems rediculously low amount for that length of time training if you are working hard but ok! :)

So for a sprint interval session I'd go for something like:
    • Warm up for 15 minutes at 6min/km so c 1.5miles or 150 cals
    • 400 metres fast so 25 cals
    • 400 metres slow so 25 cals
    • Repeat four times, so a further 200 cals
    • Cool down for 15 minutes so 150 cals
    • Total c 550cals

So with that in mind the sprint element is at best 40% of the session, and in practice half of that is the recoveries.

If you're doing 200 metre intervals, you're looking at c12 calories per sprint.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I wondered about this too. In the end I settled on equating the calorie burn to walking, my other main activity. Not sure if I'm over or underestimating by doing that, but I needed some sort of figure for the purposes of deciding on my intake levels. Anywho, am in for the replies :smile:
  • sijomial
    edited February 2015
    Options

Cool, thank you both for the info on that because I was totally thinking that sweating my buns off was a great sign of a good workout haha!

In both threads discussing this you've had pretty clear explanations of why resistance work doesn't burn a significant volume of calories. CV work and resistance work have very different effects, so think about them in those terms.

CV work improves stamina and capacity whilst consuming a significant volume of calories, resistance work is about composition.

If I do a 13 mile training run, I'll burn off around 1300-1500 calories in that 110 minutes. An hour of resistance training could credit me about 200 cals, because it's slower, much more limited in terms of movement and includes periods of lower activity changing exercise. In the grand scheme of things not accounting for that 200 cals isn't making a huge difference to outcomes.

Ok, well I do understand and I dont lol.

I accept that It seems to be the general agreement that on mfp you dont count any calories for weight training and I do understand that you burn different amounts and it is hard to judge. I am willing to follow along with that for a while the sake of trying ot be healthy and see how that effects my training, my body, and my weightloss.

But...at the end of the day, in my mind, I will never be able to actually agree with or accept the idea that I could possibly burn only 200 calories in an almost 2 hour gym session or just about nothing doing sprint intervals regardless of the fact that it might burn less calories than walking or running...that just seems rediculously low amount for that length of time training if you are working hard but ok! :)

Sorry you seem even more confused!
    There isn't a "general agreement" not to count calories from strength workout. Many of the people who predominantly do strength workouts use the TDEE method which does include an estimated amount per workout. It's just estimated in advance by the site you get your numbers from. A lot of other people will use MFP's "strength training" or "circuit training" estimates.

Many people have suggested you just make an estimate and stick to it. You simply make adjustments based on actual results over time. I happen to guess around 350 - 400 for an hour of weights as I'm moving a lot of weight with very little rest. It may be completely inaccurate but that doesn't actually matter - I eat the appropriate amount of food to get the results I want over time whether the goal was losing weight or maintaining weight.

Of course sprint intervals burn significant amount of calories if you do them for a reasonable length of time. It's just again hard to measure - HRMs will exaggerate.

You really are making this far harder than it needs to be - you are seeking precision in an area where it's impossible to be precise and actually completely unnecessary to be precise!

• MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

When you are walking you are "lifting and carrying" your entire bodyweight over a significant distance.
    Think about how much weight you lifted during your weights session and and only moved it a relatively short distance.

You can't convince me that lifting 250+ pounds doing back squats, front squats, and deadlifts basically as HIIT for a whole hour that I'm not burning more calories as someone on an elliptical. What I am doing is WORK. What they are doing is... well... prancing.
  • sijomial
    Options
    MmmDrop wrote: »

You can't convince me that lifting 250+ pounds doing back squats, front squats, and deadlifts basically as HIIT for a whole hour that I'm not burning more calories as someone on an elliptical. What I am doing is WORK. What they are doing is... well... prancing.

Not trying to convince you of anything.
    But you sure as hell aren't supporting 250lbs for a complete hour (time under tension...) or doing HIIT for an hour!

Trying to explain in simple terms to someone who is in analysis paralysis.
  • torizia
    torizia Posts: 140 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I do the same as a previous poster and assume I burn around 100 calories per session (1 hour) so that I can have a protein shake to boost my protein intake for that day. Maybe I'm underestimating, in which case I have a larger deficit (which is a good thing), and maybe I'm underestimating, in which case at least I can't be too far off so it's not going to cause my any issues with going over my calories. This seems to be working for me anyway!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    leecha2014 wrote: »
    I'm really glad I'm not the only one confused. There are soooo many people using mfp what has everyone been doing? I would just feel better staying within my goal, which is low as it is. Psychologically it is depressing when you see red, I'm just trying to be really accurate however at the end of the day it's working:)

Don’t get so wrapped up in it. The calories in/calories out are all estimates. The only advantage to counting calories in is to make sure you’re aware of what you’re eating. Assuming you don’t want to count calories the rest of your life, this should be a time to change what you eat and become more aware of how much energy it has in it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    But apparently (from what I read online) you do actually, in the long run, burn more with weights/HIIT but the more you burn is overtime generally and not in the moment which is part of why it is so hard to judge based simply on the time you were in the gym. Like I am still burning more calories hours after I leave the gym whereas with just cardio, you stop burning the minute you stop doing the cardio. That helps me a bit I think. :D

Which goes back to my original point upthread; EPOC is vastly overplayed. In both CV and resistance the effect of EPOC is in the realms of single figure percentage of the activity expenditure, so still equivalent or higher for a CV session of equal time to a resistance session as it's a slightly lower percentage of a higher figure.

So for last nights run I'd probably get around 30 calories on top of a 600 calorie session, if I were to have done the same duration of resistance work I may have got 30 calories (rounding up) on top of a 300 calorie session, and that's being generous.

There is a very long term effect, inasmuch as the retention of lean mass maintains a slightly higher BMR, although again that extra calorie per hour isn't going to make a huge difference as it's lost in the noise.

• MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options

But you sure as hell aren't supporting 250lbs for a complete hour (time under tension...) or doing HIIT for an hour!

[/quote]

I do. And I do it 5-6 days a week... for an entire hour. Heavy lifting is the only strength training I do, and I do it HIIT. I don't sit there for 3 minutes between reps. 2-3 reps EMOM.

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MmmDrop wrote: »

I do. And I do it 5-6 days a week... for an entire hour. Heavy lifting is the only strength training I do, and I do it HIIT. I don't sit there for 3 minutes between reps. 2-3 reps EMOM.

So basically "lift 30 seconds, rest 30 seconds"? Sort of heavy circuit training. Respect.

Still, unless you're working out for a lot more than an hour, you're not TOT for the whole hour. You gotta shift plates, switch stations, yada yada yada.
  • Noeyfit
    Noeyfit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Weight training burns more than cardio, get a fitbit or other heart rate monitor and it will show you how much youre burning during the workout. After you train your muscles your calories are still burning to the next day. Remember the more muscle you have the more your body burns while youre resting.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Noeyfit wrote: »
    Weight training burns more than cardio, get a fitbit or other heart rate monitor and it will show you how much youre burning during the workout. After you train your muscles your calories are still burning to the next day. Remember the more muscle you have the more your body burns while youre resting.

An HRM won't give an accurate reading for a non-continous-aerobic burn like weight training. And let's not fool ourselves here -- I love lifting, but it's not going to "burn more than cardio" for the same time input. And the after-burn is not going to be all that significant (no more than the after-burn that HIIT fanboys love to trumpet). Lifting heavy has great benefits, but mongrel calorie burns ain't one of them.
  • JessaLee0324
    JessaLee0324 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

^this...
    Weight training continues to burn calories well after your session is over, unlike cardio. Also, weight training makes the body work harder then many forms of cardio. I don't know about you guys but I can feel my body continue to repair itself up to a day and a half after a session.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Weight training burns more than cardio, get a fitbit or other heart rate monitor and it will show you how much youre burning during the workout. After you train your muscles your calories are still burning to the next day.

*facepalm*

Never mind the physics, feel the broscience...
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM when lifting. One time it claimed as high as 600 cals burned in 90 mins of lifting. Although its a stretch, I logged it anyways. Another time it said 400 cals in 70 mins, which seemed a little more believable. I don't eat all my exercise calories back and usually stay about within the same range of calorie intake every day anyways. I track it under cardio, though, just so it shows up in my food diary.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Nope