Newbie (All else has failed)

Options
Hi im Matt, Im 27 with a fiance and 4yr old son. I have tried every diet under the sun and need to shed kg's to see my boy grow up. Im 180kgs and have a Doctors goal of 1500 calories a day to start shedding. Any ideas or suggestions on food /snacks? Love the app but not the 3500 calories a day im averaging atm...

Replies

• LittlePinkShotgun
    LittlePinkShotgun Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi Matt,

It's hard to change eating behaviour... I'm with you on that one! 1500 calories means finding a hobby other than noshing and so far I'm having a hard time with that.

When I first started my weight loss journey in 2005 (I lost around 40 lbs) I got a lot of advice form the site below:

http://www.dietbites.com/Easy-Free-Diet-Plan/1400-calorie-diet-plan.html

The author has an odd sense of humor, but it appeals to me (satire mainly) LOL.

The reason why I suggest it is because they suggest meal and snack ideas that anybody can make... no chef school required.

Maybe you will like it :)

All the best. Stay strong!

• TurdFerguson27
    TurdFerguson27 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks i will check it out :)
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Start exercising with a daily calorie burn goal. Make the 1500 daily calories a "net" goal so the more you burn the more you can eat of nutritious foods so you don't feel deprived.
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You will get great friendly advice here on the forums so ask whenever you are stuck. Make friends, if you like; for some it's an essential part of the journey, others not so much.

Make small changes - don't try and change everything at once; it's too overwhelming and more often than not, unsustainable. So for today make yourself one promise or goal; could be to log everthing accurately, take the stairs, drink more water or have a smaller portion of something than you usually have; and try to stick with it for a few days until it becomes a habit. Then make another change.

Lastly, be patient. This will take a lifetime to get right!
    Plus weight loss is not linear so you may see the scales go up and down a bit but if you are consistent then it WILL go down!

Good luck my friend!

TL;DR small changes, be patient.
  • TurdFerguson27
    Options
    thanks guys
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Definitely, make friends and ask questions.
    There are some great references here on MFP and I would start with this article:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    The two people involved with that article (and associated links within it) are still active contributors to MFP. You will find a lot of great information explaining some of the different buzz words you might hear.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Matt - Just from personal experience, I'd talk with your doctor about the initial calorie goal. It might be a bit large to start. Of course, everyone handles change differently, but I've found it easier to slowly start reducing the calories - say if your maintenance was 2500, to do a week or so at 2400, then 2300, then 2200 etc. Again, this is my personal experience, but it was easier for me to slowly work down to a lower calorie count than to make a drastic jump.

And as others have said, be patient, take your time and don't give up!
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    ^ agree. 1500 is soooo low for you. I would go slow, and set lots of small goals to start. Portion control, food swaps, and a little exercise should do you wonders.
  • 1500 seems really low for you, I bet you're starving! Personally, I'd set yourself a calorie goal, and gradually decrease it as you start to see the weight coming off. If you know you regularly eat 4000 calories, cut it down to 3000, then 2500 and so on. You'll get used to it, and you won't be so shocked at the amount you can eat. Good luck!
  • raffi165
    raffi165 Posts: 6
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi Matt! Congratulations on making the hardest decision - the decision to start to change! There are some really inspirational stories on this forum so I'm sure within a few posts you'll see that anything is possible. I got the impression from your first post that your leading thought at the moment is 'weight loss'. I was exactly the same when I decided I needed to lose weight. As soon as you start translating that 'weight loss' thought into 'getting fitter' (or 'getting fitter for my fiancé/e and son') then things get MUCH easier. I've gotten into road cycling recently, so I no longer think about eating healthily to lose weight; I think about eating healthily so that I get better and faster on the bike -- the weight loss comes as a (very nice!) side effect! If you're having a tough time, reach out to people on here -- everyone is so friendly and so supportive. All the best! Raff.
  • jamie91203
    Options
    Ur family is worth all the struggles. Prayers for a healthy lifestyle!
  • TurdFerguson27
    Options
    thanks for the support. 1500 is my goal but im not there yet. Ive dropped from over 4000 to around 2500 average calories over the last week. 1500 is still the goal but im not gonna get there until im ready. will start 20min walks in the morning and afternoon soon to give me another 300 to work wit
  • TurdFerguson27
    Options
    with*
  • TurdFerguson27
    Options
    bad day yesterday though. hit 4000 on a down and sick day. will get in to it today!
  • raffi165
    Options
    bad day yesterday though. hit 4000 on a down and sick day. will get in to it today!

Come on, mate. Keep your head up and keep your goals in sight :) YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Matt, keep it together, my friend! You'll find amazing folks on here who'll support you in any way you need.

Anyhow, 1500 calories is way too less for you. If you use the tools on MFP and start with a weight loss goal of 0.5 lb a week, that'll be a great start. Once you're comfortable at that point, go to 1 lb a week.
  • jasonraygagnon
    jasonraygagnon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Good luck, Matt!

I started this adventure with 1450 calories to consume each day. The first few days were tough as I felt hungry all the time, but my appetite quickly changed from eating smaller portions and I have been able to maintain the diet to date.

Plan your meals, keep updating on this site, and watch the calories. Keep your eyes on the prize and once you get in the swing of things, you'll feel great.

• TurdFerguson27
    Options
    thanks. working on it