Sausages?

Options
Just wondering if anyone has any recommendation for a brand of sausages with a good amount of protein and calories in. The ones I currently have are richmond thick sausages 97 calories but only 4.4 grams of protein.
Also, what is the best way to cook them, grilling because it helps get rid of the fat?

Replies

• ecc79
    ecc79 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You need to look for something with over 90% meat content, there isn't much actual meat in Richmond (assuming you are in the UK and they are the Richmond brand ones which iirc are about 40% pork so you are eating mostly rusk).
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Chicken sausages. And boil them before you grill them. That really helps to get the fat out.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    A pork sausage, even a hand made one from a quality maker will not have a lot of meat in it. Off the top of my head, you're looking at 60% meat, 30-35% fat, and 5-10% "other stuff" which may be liquid, spices, garnish, etc.

It's not an efficient food for maximal protein delivery for minimal caloric investment. That would be chicken breast.
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Chicken sausages. And boil them before you grill them. That really helps to get the fat out.

This! I love chicken or turkey sausages. There are several good brands out there in all kinds of flavors.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If you want the flavor of sausage and the protein of leaner meat, look up recipes for sausage and add the spices to fresh ground lean meat. It's not the same as cured fatty sausage, but it is good.
  • dbmata
    Options
    If you want the flavor of sausage and the protein of leaner meat, look up recipes for sausage and add the spices to fresh ground lean meat. It's not the same as cured fatty sausage, but it is good.
    not all sausage is cured.
    This is a good idea.
    Make sure the meat you're using is optimized for caloric and macro need, makes no sense to avoid a sausage but then use 70/30.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    There is a very good Italian Sausage spice blend from Penzey's. I'm known to cheat at lasagne and use it on ground beef if I'm too lazy to go to the store for proper sausage.

I have a local butcher shop that makes their own sausages, from delicious cured pork kielbasa to very lean chicken links with spinach and feta.
  • dbmata
    Options
    just about anything from penzey's is delicious.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    just about anything from penzey's is delicious.

Trufax. I love that place.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You mentioned Richmond's sausages, which I know they sell here in the UK. Check out the Tesco Heathy Living ones. We get the Cumberland ones (I believe) and they are really nice. They aren't greasy or anything. We put them on a tray and just bake them for about 20 min. (turning over halfway). No added fat there, and you will notice no fat will leak out after you cook them... so they clearly aren't as fatty as others that will get leaky (for lack of a better word lol).
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Also... maybe check out a local butcher shop... they might have some that are lean and of good quality.
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Check out some brats!

1305225305921.jpg
  • Transformed428
    Transformed428 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    alfresco Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage , if you can find it in the UK . 110 calories 14 grams protein . Or they have other flavored as well . Good luck
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    alfresco Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage , if you can find it in the UK . 110 calories 14 grams protein . Or they have other flavored as well . Good luck

I've been waiting for these to go on sale...they look awesome. I think there's a buffalo variety as well!