Artificial Sweetners

Options
Do you try to avoid artificial sweetners for fear it holds onto fat? Are there certain things in foods that hold on to fat in the body or certain foods that do? What helps you get rid of fat in your body yet maintain/build muscle?

Replies

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I avoid them because they taste nasty. And I get that they've been deemed "safe" by the FDA and Cancer society but smoking was deemed to be perfectly fine once. Look what happened with that.
  • zia_gal
    zia_gal Posts: 108 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I avoid them! I was having numbness in my arms, horrible headaches, fatigue, and weakness. I was tested for everything from Lupus, MS, and Lymes Disease. Come to find out.....it was the Aspartame in my diet drinks. I stopped drinking them, and the symptoms ceased (and I lost weight). I have to be careful, as it is in yogurt and many other products!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    krknobbe10 wrote: »
    Do you try to avoid artificial sweetners for fear it holds onto fat? Are there certain things in foods that hold on to fat in the body or certain foods that do? What helps you get rid of fat in your body yet maintain/build muscle?

Holds onto fat?! I've never heard this claim! I have heard that artificial sweeteners may cause you to crave more sugar, but I don't buy that, either. I can't use them because they trigger my migraines.

Losing weight slowly and incorporating resistance training while staying in deficit will help you lose fat while maintaining lean body mass.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get migraines from sugar (odd, I know), so I use Splenda every day. I have no problems losing weight, and there's nothing that holds onto fat except excess calories.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    They do not "hold on to fat". Eat them if you like the taste; avoid them if you don't. I keep trying to bake with sweetners, and every time it has a weird after taste. But, I have no problem with them in my coffee. No idea why.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i use a variety of sweetners because dumping syndrome is no fun so i limit sugars (limit them not remove them entirely, nothing wrong with sugars)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    krknobbe10 wrote: »
    Artificial sweeteners DON'T hold fat on the body. What holds fat on the body is lack of a calorie deficit on a consistent basis and to mild extent, consumption of alcohol before sleeping due to the fact that it inhibits fat burning and more fat is burned at sleep than in any other time of the day.
    Retaining of muscle in the fat loss process requires a resistance training program that hits all the major muscles with enough resistance to fatigue the muscle in about 10 repetitions in any given set. Using light resistance while doing high repetitions doesn't achieve this, but will increase the muscle's endurance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    zia_gal wrote: »
    I avoid them! I was having numbness in my arms, horrible headaches, fatigue, and weakness. I was tested for everything from Lupus, MS, and Lymes Disease. Come to find out.....it was the Aspartame in my diet drinks. I stopped drinking them, and the symptoms ceased (and I lost weight). I have to be careful, as it is in yogurt and many other products!
    So you might have PKU?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    zia_gal wrote: »
    So you might have PKU?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Considering how deadly PKU can be as a child (and it's a genetic disorder), I really doubt that someone wouldn't know they have PKU even though symptoms are so much less severe as an adult.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I avoid them because they taste nasty. And I get that they've been deemed "safe" by the FDA and Cancer society but smoking was deemed to be perfectly fine once. Look what happened with that.
    For an additive that has had more testing than any other additive in the market since the the latter half of last century by many peer reviewed clinical studies INDEPENDENT of the FDA and government, I'd say that it's legitimately safe for consumption. Understand what the actual ingredients are in aspartame and you'll find they aren't any more alerting then what you'd find in breast milk or citrus fruits.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • jordanveg
    jordanveg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't think they hold onto fat, but I do avoid them. I have a female reproductive disorder that is related to diet, and my doctor told me to avoid fake sugars, processed foods, and other items. So I avoid them because I'm told to.
  • krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was told to switch protein powders because mine had artificial sweetners in it but I really can't spend a ton on it. So I found one that has better ingredients and is actually cheaper with less carbs. Hopefully it tastes just as good and it has gotten good reviews.
  • MustLoveCats21
    Options
    I use them every day in my oats and coffee. I'm not dead yet.
  • shamani5
    shamani5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I stay away from real and fake sugar. Real refined sugar can cause your cells to store fat because insulin is released when you eat it. I don't think this happens with fake sugar but I personally believe it is toxic to the human body in other ways. My go to sweetener is raw honey or for zero calorie I sometimes have stevia.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    shamani5 wrote: »
    I stay away from real and fake sugar. Real refined sugar can cause your cells to store fat because insulin is released when you eat it. I don't think this happens with fake sugar but I personally believe it is toxic to the human body in other ways. My go to sweetener is raw honey or for zero calorie I sometimes have stevia.
    You do realize that sugar when broken down to it's simplest form is no different that honey broken down to it's simplest form? So how is honey different in that matter? The body breaks all macros down to it's simplest form to be absorbed.
    Also if you didn't know it, protein is insuligenic, meaning it causes insulin spike. And no, artificial sweeteners aren't any more toxic to the body than eating a citrus fruit (unless of course you're suffering from reaction from phenylalaine).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    I don't use artificial sweeteners in coffee and suchlike - I don't use sugar either, I just drink it unsweetened.

But I do drink coke zero, Pepsi max and similar a few times a week - has not inhibited my weight loss at all.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I haven't touched artificial sweeteners (including Splenda) in almost 3 years. It's crazy how many things they put that crap in without needing too! I use stevia, raw local honey or pure maple syrup if I absolutely have to sweeten something.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I consume artificial sweeteners regularly and have zero problems - just like the vast majority of others. Unfortunately, this experience is regularly drowned out by the loud parade of anecdotes claiming artificial sweeteners are responsible for everything from headaches, to diabetes, to cancer, to autism.
  • joh3092
    joh3092 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    With this in mind, I have decided to add splenda to my childrens' measles shots. ;-)
    peter56765 wrote: »
    I consume artificial sweeteners regularly and have zero problems - just like the vast majority of others. Unfortunately, this experience is regularly drowned out by the loud parade of anecdotes claiming artificial sweeteners are responsible for everything from headaches, to diabetes, to cancer, to autism.

• ninerbuff
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Have yet to see a death certificate, or an attribute to death due to artificial sweetener "poisoning" or overdose.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png