do you eat pasta?

Options
2»

Replies

• mommacool
    mommacool Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    BEING THE ITALIAN I AM...PASTA IS ONLY ON SUNDAY...I ONLY EAT Tinkyada Pasta Joybr - Brown Rice Spirals 1/2 CUP WITH HOMEMADE TURKEY Bolognese SAUCE

I only eat the Tinkyada rice pasta too. I have gone gluten free. Calories are about the same as regular pasta.
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I use quinoa pasta or egg noodles, but I almost never eat the regular stuff anymore.
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    As a Diabetic pasta is something that can be hard on the body. I do eat it though in moderation. If I do have it, it's in 3/4 cup portion. I will usually have it right before working out or during the weekends when I am easily burning the calories off at work. This is the most I can eat of pasta before it starts to raise my blood glucose level too much.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I love the whole wheat pasta and we eat it a couple times a month. One of my favorite meals is grilled chicken breast mixed with pasta, broccoli and a light alfredo sauce. Yummy. Feels much more indulgent than it is. In fact maybe I need to make that this week.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I don't eat pasta often. I like it but honestly not worth the calories. I'd rather have rice or quinoa or an extra portion of meat, veggies etc.
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If you like pasta, you should eat it. As someone else said a serving is 2oz uncooked, which generalyl is about half a cup cooked. For me 1/2 cup isn't enough, so I allow myself a cup. Mix in halved cherry tomatoes, some minced/sliced garlic and a little Parm cheese and serve with a little meat or other lean protein. Yum!
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I still eat pasta all the time. I make sure to weigh it first on my food scale, but I normally end up eating pasta 3-5 times a week!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    yes

i use whole grain pastas, or corn pasta...
    i refuse to give up anything i love *S* i simply practise portion control and plan for it to fit into my day.
    i have no problems with it at all and have it a couple of times a week *S*
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I don't eat pasta often. I like it but honestly not worth the calories. I'd rather have rice or quinoa or an extra portion of meat, veggies etc.

Same here!
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I love love love pasta!! Spaghetti is one of my favorite foods. I eat some type of pasta at least 3-4 times a week.
  • filmo
    filmo Posts: 3
    Options
    Everything in moderation. I'd say the one big thing I've learned from playing with the myFitnessPal app is calories vs. portion size. As a result I've cut back on pasta as it's real easy to go overboard. Still in moderation or if you're doing some crazy high performance sport in the next few hours, pasta is still definitely in the diet.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta but only brown rice pasta or quinoa pasta. I usually pair it with veg and make sure that I have equal amounts pasta to veg. So if I eat a cup of pasta, I also have a cup of veg.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's not THAT heavy on calories, surely! 100g dry weight is around 300 calories, and that's a LOT of pasta. Pair that with a tomato or veg based sauce and you've easily got a healthy and satisfying meal for well under 500 calories.
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    I eat it once in awhile and try to keep it whole grain. :)
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I love pasta usually only have about 50g uncooked weight, add 50g peas and maybe sweetcorn/green beans oh yes
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Brienparis
    Brienparis Posts: 3
    Options
    I eat whole grain pasta often and it forms the base of some of my lowest calorie meals. I never thought that only 50 grams of pasta would satisfy me but I find that now that is totally sufficient although on some days I might cook 75 grams which makes me feel like I'm pigging out! I add lots of veggies and some times tomato sauce. I especially like to make a simple alio olio recipe. Sliced garlic cooked in a little olive oil with crushed red pepper. 10 grams of grated Parmesan cheese to top it off with a slice of whole wheat bread and it's all under 375 calories. It' relatively high in fiber too.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yup, I eat it a few times a week.
    I cook up a bunch and measure out (or estimate) a 1 cup cooked serving size. That's about 200ish cals.
    I eat it with bolognese sauce or casserole and it usually comes out around 400 cals for a meal.
    I put lots of veggies in my sauce and don't make creamy sauces, usually tomato based (using tomato passata) or sometimes keep it simple with some veggies plus tuna in chilli oil (most of the oil drained off but some left in). YUM!
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pasta and all italian food but I have cut out carbs from my evening meal so I can only have it in the day. I am def feeling a lot less bloated as a result.

If anyone has any decent low carb pasta alternatives then please tell me as I had "spaghetti" bolognese the other day with shredded courgette and it was somewhat lacking !

I have heard a spaghetti squash is good but they are not readily available in the UK.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I've typically used Barilla wheat pasta. Now, one serving is 2 oz UNCOOKED. So that is more than 1/4 of a cup once its prepared. That's usually about 200 calories. Typically I cook 2 oz of pasta and my husband and I split it, meaning its only an extra 100 calories. If you've got some kind of chunky sauce that's probably plenty. Its about 1/2 a cup cooked - typically about the same amount of rice that I eat. I can't finish off nearly as much food as I used to, so I'm usually pretty full off that much.

Another option is shirataki or miracle noodles - made of tofu or just nothing but fiber. I haven't tried them yet, some people like them, some people hate them. I'm giving them a test run tonight.