Hi Everyone - anyone on here with an underactive thyroid?

Options
jasmin1310
jasmin1310 Posts: 80 Member
Hi Guys

I joined this yesterday and am loving it so far, I really hope this helps me lose the unwanted weight (10kg) that I have put on.
Looking for some people to help with motivation.

I have an underactive thyroid and have been struggling to lose weight, would really appreciate if there are others like me that have seen results.

Hope to see results soon (although i've gained 1kg after a very unhealthy 2 weeks despite doing a lot of excersice).

:-)

Replies

• fourbcrew
    fourbcrew Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of getting blood work evaluated right now due to an underactive thyroid. I packed on approximately 30+ lbs in a short period of time. Are you on any meds??
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Hi Jasmin!

I have underactive thyroid too - on 100mcg thyroxine a day. It is possible to lose weight.....but it takes a lot of effort. I've lost 15lbs since joining MFP in January - the last 4lbs are being a bit stubborn though! :laugh:

Good luck - feel free to add me as a friend :flowerforyou:

Sue :smile: x
  • Hi Jasmin,
    I know how you feel! Read as much as you can on the condition. Things like what foods to avoid and what supplements will help. You need to aim to get your thyroid regulated - this may take some time. Exercise is a great help. Good luck with your weight loss and add me as a friend if you like. :)
  • jasmin1310
    Options
    Hey,

Its nice to hear that people are seeing results. I'm on 100mg of thyroxin too.

I really do hope I'm not doomed to be fat and I can lose weight like you guys :-)
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    Mine is seriously underactive i've lost about 15lb but i've just ben increased to 200 mg :noway:
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid too! It's been difficult to shift the weight but it is coming off very slowly. Most importantly, the new lifestyle changes have improved my general health.
  • jasmin1310
    Options
    15lb! that's brilliant well done you!
  • TaraTipp
    TaraTipp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I am in the same boat, I am also on 100mg of thyroxin, I was wondering do you actually know any of the foods that we should avoid? Thanks in advance, T
  • leticiavaldez
    Options
    Hello! my name is leticia an this is my first time looking at this page recomended by my dr.Ineed to loose 43 lbs, when he told me I got scared. It seems like a lots of pounds. I'm looking forthward to learm ore about this prog.
  • leticiavaldez
    Options
    Iam also strugling with thyroyd prob.
  • ashleigh2311
    ashleigh2311 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid when i was 10 years old.
    my twin sister got diagnosed just before me, her TSH level (which (i think?) should be between 0.5 and 4 roughly) was over 250. ouch
    then they tested me, and ive been taking meds since.
    my meds vary quite a lot, im now on 150, but over the last 5 years i have been down to 100 and as high as 175

frequent testing is important, i get mine checked every 2 months roughly because of how much my meds seem to need changing :/
    not fun when im petrified of needles but never mind.

In terms of it preventing you losing weight, i feel like it is impacting my current weight loss,
    however, i had severe anorexia a few years back.
    Which i know isnt a good thing, and i have no intention of going back to a measly 100lbs when im 5"9,

I know i also lost a lot of muscle, and it wasnt healthy weight loss,
    but when i started out my weight loss journey back then, i did it healthily for a long time before it turned into an eating disorder.

weight loss is definitely possible and dont let it dishearten you from your goal! if you are determined, you can definitely do it! lifestyle changes such as exercise definitely help.

I wish you all the best with your journey,
  • jasmin1310
    Options
    Hi All, I am in the same boat, I am also on 100mg of thyroxin, I was wondering do you actually know any of the foods that we should avoid? Thanks in advance, T

I read on the net that spinach, garlic and soya is not good - but i love those food!
    Its funny i'm a fattty that actually like healthy food! :happy: But to be honest i really don't know how accurate that is.
  • TaraTipp
    TaraTipp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jasmin
    I should probably look it up and see what should be avoided, I didnt realise that certain foods would be bad for an underactive thyroid! I really need to do my research! T :)
  • k_ewilliams
    k_ewilliams Posts: 43
    Options
    Im on 100mg too.
    What?! Spinach is not good? Why? I love baby spinach...and its super packed with vitamins, its like a super food.
    What does eating it do? Because I do not want to give it, unless it causes something awful. lol

My weight is consistent, the whole "set point" theory really applies to me, I never gained when I first got diagnosed 3 years ago. I've only recently started this for weight loss, so I cannot let you know if its working yet, I've lost a max of 3 pounds lol
  • jasmin1310
    Options
    Im on 100mg too.
    What?! Spinach is not good? Why? I love baby spinach...and its super packed with vitamins, its like a super food.
    What does eating it do? Because I do not want to give it, unless it causes something awful. lol

This website says it should be avoided as it can cause weight gain, something about natural goitrogens in these foods. Personally i love them, so will see if i can lose weight without it being to much of a problem... http://www.ehow.co.uk/way_5184484_foods-avoid-thyroid-problems.html
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid as well, feel free to add me as a friend!
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I found this
    Nutrition and Supplements
    Following these nutritional tips may help reduce symptoms:

Eat foods high in B-vitamins and iron, such as whole grains (if no allergy), fresh vegetables, and sea vegetables.
    Avoid foods that interfere with thyroid function, including broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, spinach, turnips, soybeans, peanuts, linseed, pine nuts, millet, cassava, and mustard greens.
    If you take thyroid hormone medication, talk to your doctor before eating soy products. There is some evidence soy may interfere with absorption of thyroid hormone.
    Taking iron supplements may interfere with the absorption of thyroid hormone medication, so ask your doctor before taking iron.
    Eat foods high in antioxidants, including fruits (such as blueberries, cherries, and tomatoes) and vegetables (such as squash and bell pepper).
    Avoid alcohol and tobacco. Talk to your doctor before increasing your caffeine intake, as caffeine impacts several conditions and medications.
    These supplements may also help:

Omega-3 fatty acids, such as fish oil, 1 - 2 capsules or 1 - 2 tbs. of oil daily, to help decrease inflammation and help with immunity. Omega-3 fatty acids may increase the risk of bleeding, especially if you already take blood-thinning medication. Ask your doctor before taking omega-3 fatty acids if you take blood thinners such as warfarin (Coumadin) or if you have a bleeding disorder.
    L-tyrosine, 500 mg two to three times daily. The thyroid gland combines tyrosine and to make thyroid hormone. If you are taking prescription thyroid hormone medication, you should never take L-tyrosine without direction from your doctor. Do not take L-tyrosine if you have high blood pressure or have symptoms of mania.
    Do not take an iodine supplement unless your doctor tells you to. Iodine is only effective when hypothyroidism is caused by iodine deficiency, which is rare in the developed world. And too much iodine can actually cause hypothyroidism.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/hypothyroidism-000093.htm

Also found this
    People with hypothyroidism are often told to avoid goitrogenic foods. Goitrogenic refers to the fact that these foods can increase your likelihood of developing a goiter by decreasing thyroid hormone production.
  • crissa413
    crissa413 Posts: 67
    Options
    I'm hypothryoid too. Was diagnosed in December. Would love to have you all as friends to support each other!!
  • mondayschildeats
    mondayschildeats Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Another one with hypothyroidsim. Mine is congenital ...am on 225

Had thyroid removed 4 years ago. Nice to meet some others...
  • jennyrc
    jennyrc Posts: 12
    Options
    total thyroidectomy 2 years ago....now since i don't have a thyroid, should certain those certain foods be avoided as well? Or is that only for those who still have a thyroid and are on meds?