Rest days, necessary?

Options
I'm wondering how necessary rest days are. I've gone to the gym about ten days in a row and my body feels fine. I'm sore, naturally, and take Epsom salt baths and stretch when running leaves my muscles tight. However, on the days I had planned to have as rest days I decided to just do a 30 min 4.0 brisk walk instead. I find it helping with soreness to stay active.

How necessary is it to take totally inactive rest days? Will my body still repair muscle if I don't take days off?

Thanks all!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a tiny morsel of detail about what you do at the gym will help up answer your question?
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Depends on the amount of damage done to the muscle. I would offer that if you were to go an train biceps everyday, there probably would not be enough time for the biceps to recover. A larger muscle group, like the legs can take a beating with more training, but again...depends on the severity of the training on whether or not they need to be trained again. Look at it like this. If you wanted to get a tan and went outside for a few minutes everyday, the damage would be small, so recovery to go back outside the next day would probably be no big deal and thus over time, you could further your exposure to sun for longer periods. Now if you stayed out for a long period and got burnt, would you want to go back out the next day to get even worse? No, you would want to heal and increase exposure to sun a little more slowly and carefully over time. The same can be equated to training. Normally programs have this accounted for, but if you are doing something on your own, you need to be aware of this training principal.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    The general answer is yes, you do need rest and recovery days. But how many and how often depends on the program you’re doing.

Active recovery (walking, light yoga) can be okay, but again, it depends on how intense and what exercises you’re doing.

How much and the quality of the sleep you’re getting can also influence recovery. If you’re not able to get a full 8 hours of quality sleep, you may need more rest days.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    spacelump wrote: »
    I'm wondering how necessary rest days are. I've gone to the gym about ten days in a row and my body feels fine. I'm sore, naturally, and take Epsom salt baths and stretch when running leaves my muscles tight. However, on the days I had planned to have as rest days I decided to just do a 30 min 4.0 brisk walk instead. I find it helping with soreness to stay active.

How necessary is it to take totally inactive rest days? Will my body still repair muscle if I don't take days off?

Thanks all!

Not at all necessary.

Rest days are more mentally necessary than physically necessary. Sure there may be days where you scale back a little bit, but if you don't want to, there's no reason for a totally inactive day.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Rest days, like most things, are dependent on other factors. How hard you push yourself, how often, what muscles are being worked, recovery, nutrition, calories, sleep, etc will all play a role.

As far as being totally inactive... in most cases it's largely unnecessary. Active recovery can be great.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Your body will let you know. I rarely take totally inactive rest days unless I'm forced into it (injury, family visiting, unexpected happenings, etc). I generally do something like yoga or walking on my rest days, just something lighter than normal.

Some days, though, I wake and just think "I can't". Anytime I find myself not wanting to work out, I know I need a full rest day. That generally happens maybe once a month or so.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    Not at all necessary.

Rest days are more mentally necessary than physically necessary.

False. Recovery is necessary, physically.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    spacelump wrote: »

Thanks all!

Walking isn't going to impede recovery; we are designed to walk...a lot. "Rest day" doesn't mean doing nothing (though you could if you wanted to)...it simply means taking a rest from more vigorous exercise. I still walk a good 3-5 miles on most of my rest days, unless I'm really feeling particularly shot to *kitten* (which happens, especially when I'm actually training vs just working out).

The more intense/hard you work, the more important rest and recovery is. Going for a walk isn't going to break down your body really at all...going for a 50 mile ride with climbs is another story. Hanging out on an elliptical for 30 - 60 minutes isn't a big deal...heavy squats are a different story.

Your required rest is relative to the actual work you're putting in.
  • captainjorge
    Options
    Rest day? Where's the Rest Muscle, and how do I train it? ;)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    without specifically knowing what your workouts are, i'd say yes, rest days are important.

but you can have an active rest day where you just walk or do yoga or something. but you do occasionally need a full rest day where you don't do any type of exercising.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Perhaps a tiny morsel of detail about what you do at the gym will help up answer your question?

+1 OP
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Codefox wrote: »
    Not at all necessary.

I’m in agreement with Codefox. Consistent hard training every day without building in some rest/recovery days is a formula for failure. Cortisol management, muscle rebuilding, and glycogen restoration all happen more effectively if you’re cycling hard with light.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Codefox wrote: »
    Not at all necessary.

I should have used more words. Totally inactive days are not at all necessary. You clipped the part where I bolded the question I was answering and misrepresented my answer.

I didnt say that physical recovery is not necessary, I just threw it out there that your mental state can be as big or bigger factor than the physical state.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you feel really.

I never schedule rest days during the week. I hit the gym M-F and the only time I'll take a rest day is if I'm too tired and/or sore.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Like others said, depends on what you're doing.

If you are just a running every day at the gym, then you probably wouldnt need as much rest as someone who lifts weights, since weight lifting is actually tearing your muscles and the rest time is to rebuild.

Listen to your body, if it feels fine, carry on.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I would also add that I find it beneficial to stagger the intensity of my workouts.

For example, Sunday is a big ride day for me and I usually do a group ride with my coach which is sometimes long and other times shorter, but either more aggressive in RE to pace or we do a lot of climbing, etc...at any rate, it's always a kick in the nuts.

So I keep Monday fairly mellow...I usually just do a nice, slow, and flat 15 miles...just some movement really.

Tuesday I ride and usually do some speed work in the AM or at lunch and then I lift in the PM after work...it's a big day.

Wednesday is usually my rest day...sometimes I do nothing, but more often than not I go for a leisurely walk of about 3 miles.

Thursday I just do a nice tempo ride for 20 miles or so in the AM or at lunch and then lift again in the PM...another pretty big day

Friday..."Flexible Friday"...sometimes I go out on a nice ride...sometimes I just go for a walk...sometimes I just say frack it...depends a lot on what I did Wednesday or if I missed any other workouts during the week as well.

Saturday is my big Oly session day with my coach...we work primarily on the big Oly lifts..it's also "heavy" day for for squats as well. If the weather is nice I will ride too and from the gym which is about 16 miles round trip...but I go at a very mellow pace...it's more of a recreational ride than anything and I get to enjoy the scenery. If I know for a fact that my coach is going to crush my sole, I drive.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It's very normal for people when they start exercising to want to keep going, especially after seeing some good results. Many of us at any stage hate the off time...but yes, it is necessary, as you grow when you rest. Of course you can do some light stuff like walking..I use the down time to grocery shop and prepare my meals for the week ahead, that at least makes me think I'm doing something healthy.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    also, when people start out, you need a lot more rest days than when you are a lot more experience and have adapted to the hard work. if you look at most training plans, they'll generally have three consecutive weeks of building up, followed by one of rest/recovery.

a seasoned body builder or triathlete might not have more than one rest day in their weekly schedule. and they probably have that rest day in order to do their biggest volume day the very next day. but they also have a period where they are building up to a competition or race, followed by a long period of rest afterwards.

but i'm going off on a tangent. for most people that are looking for general fitness, they will need a day or two a week of recovery.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Short Answer: Yes, they're necessary.

Longer Answer: In most cases, rest days are necessary. However, rest days do not necessarily mean sitting on your butt all day. They can mean that, but taking a walk or some other light activity is perfectly fine. Also, as others have said, how much rest you need depends on how hard you're working. If your only exercise is a brisk walk, you probably don't need much rest. If you lift heavy (for you) or do intense HIIT workouts or something, yes, you need to give your body adequate time to recover or your results/performance will suffer.