a splurge

Options
hey every1, just wondered say u had a blow out and went over Your calorie intake by around 500 cals just once a week would you gain weight?

Replies

• Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I depends on what your goals are set as - if you're set to maintenance calories, then yes, you may gain a little weight. Also, if you ate 500 calories worth of unhealthy sodium-rich foods, you may gain water weight. It's roughly 3500calories to gain a lb.
  • DaisyMoo86
    DaisyMoo86 Posts: 43
    Options
    i weigh every saturday and regardless of what the scales say that is my "splurge" day!! i have whatever i like, mostly alcohol lol

i wouldnt panic about it, try not to do it through the week, keep it for the weekend if possible :-)

gd luck x
  • KarenLouise1981
    Options
    You know what i think it totally depends on you. If you dont do it will you be more likely to splurge more often (i know i do). One cheat day a week is good for the soul. We put so much emphasis on food when sometimes I feel we need to forget about calorie counting for a day to remain sane and enjoy the little things. 500 calories once a week won't put you back to stage one and it may just give you the strength to keep motivated....as long as you have the discipline to stick to one day :-) I live for my cheat day and if you really feel guilty you can always do an extra workout during the week. Just my feedback though, hope the encouragement helps!

Good luck, your doing fantastic!
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you look at it. In my books it would set me back but it wouldn't cause a weight gain. I typically lose between .5 and 1.5 lbs a week. At 3500 calories a pound, 500 calories isn't even a third of that half pound loss at the low end.

But now, here's the thing.... 500 calories isn't much to burn, either. Chances are if I want to splurge for 500 calories, I can plan for it by gong to the gym and doing an elliptical or treadmill workout for an hour. I wouldn't let one hour of work keep me from being in the clear with my calorie count, I'd just do the work and feel GREAT about eating the calories.
  • locomotion
    locomotion Posts: 67
    Options
    I give myself a break every sunday, no workout and I go way over on calories.. May 1 - 3,351 calories, May 8 - 3,427 calories.
    I'm still losing weight. I lost 1.1 lbs and 0.8 lbs in these 2 weeks. Not a lot, but I'm happy as long as I'm losing. Also it gives me something to look forward to. :bigsmile:
  • agarjogger
    agarjogger Posts: 4
    Options
    I nipped my daily goal by 120 calories and award those 720 extra calories to Saturday night. I'm not sure there's any other way to do bars/restaurants and still stay on track. Alcoholic beverages are melted sugar and casual-restaurant food is melted butter. They can destroy your whole week's progress in a few hours, and I think they are jointly responsible for most folks' weight loss failures.
  • littlelol
    littlelol Posts: 539
    Options
    ohh so am i correct agarjogger that u save up ypur 120cals a day and have them at the end of the week? xx
  • KarenLouise1981
    Options
    You could even give it "diet" tag by calling it calorie cycling ha! I think thats the name and it basically keeps your body guessing!