What to eat before going to the gym?

Options
I'm new to this.. What do you recommend to eat before going to the gym?

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Depends on how hard your work out is. If I'm going to run or swim I eat carbs, oatmeal, banana, apple etc. For cardio carbs. At 45 minutes in- add a quick gulp of Gatorade or some sort of simple sugar.

Pre weight lifting-not my forte- but I might do amino acid supplement and Creatine, some sugar. Juice maybe. Not a lot.

Post work out-always protein and some complex carbs. Protein is key for building/rebuilding.

I'm sure there's more advice to come
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Whatever you want.
  • delyn356
    delyn356 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think it depends what you're doing & how intense. For me personally, I can't have too much to eat if I will be running unless I have 2hrs inbetween. If I'm doing other cardio, such as elliptical, then I will usually have something simple (toast with PB, fruit, or yogurt).

Usually if I work out in the mornings I tend to just wait til after to eat.

I think it'll be a little of trial and error--figure out what you need to help you get through your workouts.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I generally don't eat before I work out, but I do it first thing in the morning.
  • Ariseld_1
    Options
    delyn356 wrote: »
    I think it depends what you're doing & how intense. For me personally, I can't have too much to eat if I will be running unless I have 2hrs inbetween. If I'm doing other cardio, such as elliptical, then I will usually have something simple (toast with PB, fruit, or yogurt).

Usually if I work out in the mornings I tend to just wait til after to eat.

I think it'll be a little of trial and error--figure out what you need to help you get through your workouts.
    Thank you !!
  • Ariseld_1
    Options
    I generally don't eat before I work out, but I do it first thing in the morning.

I wish I can do this but I can't lol I'm be dying lol if I avoid food and get into a very intense work out '
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    A good rule to follow would be to eat a combination of healthy protein & carb. I would say about 250 - 300 calories is good; and eat 30 minutes before your workout begins. Eat a toast with cream cheese, an egg, and some fruit. Or, oatmeal with 1/4 cup walnut and 1/4 cup dried cranberries and 1/2 banana. Plus tea or coffee. Need that caffeine! You can add yogurt to breakfast also and can add milk. Breakfast, more than 250 - 300 calories, will slow you down during a vigourous workout.
  • Ariseld_1
    Options
    A good rule to follow would be to eat a combination of healthy protein & carb. I would say about 250 - 300 calories is good; and eat 30 minutes before your workout begins. Eat a toast with cream cheese, an egg, and some fruit. Or, oatmeal with 1/4 cup walnut and 1/4 cup dried cranberries and 1/2 banana. Plus tea or coffee. Need that caffeine! You can add yogurt to breakfast also and can add milk. Breakfast, more than 250 - 300 calories, will slow you down during a vigourous workout.
    Thanks !! I'm def keep this in mind! Very helpful !!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    something heavy and filling.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Basically ignore anything anyone tells you, as with everything, it's personal choice.

I eat oats. Some people train fasted.

Whatever works for you.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have heard it's not good for your digestion to eat right before working out because then all your energy will go towards your work out and not digesting your food?? I have digestion troubles so I don't know. I think that's probably being a little over cautious. I usually need to eat a little something because I work out right after work and if I didn't have a snack I would starve. Typically I will eat a banana because it's easy
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I am doing. I hate eating before the gym it makes me feel bloated and I don't get as good of a work out in. I tend to work out in the mornings so I just eat after. If I am doing a 1 hour or longer run I may have a banana on the way to the gym or something. After the gym it depends, I often make a shake before I leave the house for convince to eat on the way to work.
  • krisalexine
    krisalexine Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Basically ignore anything anyone tells you, as with everything, it's personal choice.

I eat oats. Some people train fasted.

Whatever works for you.

^^

I wish someone would've been so candid when I just started out. I've tried everything under the sun: oats, juices, oats and juices, nothing (fasted), pre-workout... I'm a little embarrassed to put how many pre-workouts I've tried.

Now I just have half of a banana 1 hour before I start and 1 cup of black coffee 15 minutes before I start.

And not knocking on anyone's personal choices, but training is training, regardless if it's cardio or lifting, so I think putting "depends on what I'm 'working out' that day" is a bit irrelevant. Your body needs fuel for both.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    You need to experiment with what works for you.. I could not go to the gym with nothing in my stomach. I go in the morning and usually eat oatmeal with raisins, walnuts and chia seeds along with a bit of milk. Oh and about 4 cups of black coffee.

I've also tried a piece of toast with avocado and tomatoes (I was out of milk & oatmeal) and I liked that a lot.. but I was a little hungry towards the end of my workout.

Try a small meal, but bring a banana to the gym just in case.
  • Ariseld_1
    Options
    jhall260 wrote: »
    It depends on what I am doing. I hate eating before the gym it makes me feel bloated and I don't get as good of a work out in. I tend to work out in the mornings so I just eat after. If I am doing a 1 hour or longer run I may have a banana on the way to the gym or something. After the gym it depends, I often make a shake before I leave the house for convince to eat on the way to work.

Any type of Shake? Or protein shake?
    I'm not a huge fan of Shake but I'm trying my best to start making myself shakes in the morning
  • Ariseld_1
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    You need to experiment with what works for you.. I could not go to the gym with nothing in my stomach. I go in the morning and usually eat oatmeal with raisins, walnuts and chia seeds along with a bit of milk. Oh and about 4 cups of black coffee.

I've also tried a piece of toast with avocado and tomatoes (I was out of milk & oatmeal) and I liked that a lot.. but I was a little hungry towards the end of my workout.

Try a small meal, but bring a banana to the gym just in case.
    Thanks! Very helpful!
  • Ariseld_1
    Options
    Thanks you for all your awesome respond! Very helpful!!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Usually I'll eat a Quest Protien bar before I go to the gym. I need the fuel to power my body through the 90+ minutes of weightlifting and cardio workout. I agree with what was posted above, that you should do what works best for you.
  • Ariseld_1
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    Usually I'll eat a Quest Protien bar before I go to the gym. I need the fuel to power my body through the 90+ minutes of weightlifting and cardio workout. I agree with what was posted above, that you should do what works best for you.
    + Thank for your respond! I should look into protein bars :)
    + Thanks!