Low carb crock pot recipes

Options
I'm having surgery and will be off my feet for 4-6 weeks. I usually cook every night for my kids but won't be able to do that for a while. I'm living life carb and sugar free and I'm looking for recipes for the crock. My kids have allergies so no dairy or nuts

Replies

• rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Slowcookers are as simple as:
    1. Choose a protein
    2. Choose your veggies
    3. Choose your liquid (broth, wine, juice, water, coconut milk, etc)
    4. Spice to taste
    5. Low for 4-8 hours

You can't screw it up haha.
  • Pandapotato
    Pandapotato Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    whole chicken is great because then you have the broth + leftover chicken for soup on day 2. Put it in with paprika, salt, whatever seasonings and turn it on and it makes its own juices.

I also really like doing a pot roast with a can of adobo peppers-- makes spicy pulled beef (but not too spicy for kids-- I use 2 cans to get to 'adult" level spicy) for street tacos.

split pea soup is also easy!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    These meatballs:

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/87/42/12/0007874212236_500X500.jpg

plus a jar of marinara. I add white cheese, but if your kids have allergies to it don't add cheese.

(If you're going to be down for a bit, I'd recommend to stock up on these ingredients. They literally last forever or until you're too busy to go to the store, which ever comes first. I usually buy 2-3 of each at a time, even if we only eat it once a month or less.)

I also like to make slow-cooked pork or chicken carnitas. I don't use a specific recipe every time, but they're great to serve rolled up in lettuce wraps. I usually use a can of diced tomatoes, seasonings, black olives, can of Rotel, salsa, of course I use sour cream and cheese, but if your kids are allergic to cheese don't add that.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    whole chicken is great because then you have the broth + leftover chicken for soup on day 2. Put it in with paprika, salt, whatever seasonings and turn it on and it makes its own juices.

I also really like doing a pot roast with a can of adobo peppers-- makes spicy pulled beef (but not too spicy for kids-- I use 2 cans to get to 'adult" level spicy) for street tacos.

split pea soup is also easy!

Do you like split pea soup? I don't think it's low carb, but I bought some of those split peas and researched the recipes, and came to the conclusion that I'm just not so sure. Do you have a favorite recipe?
  • Pandapotato
    Pandapotato Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    ha, I guess it never occurred to me about the carbs in pea soup as I just don't equate peas/vegetables with carbs. But I'm not a carb watcher, i'd rather just stay under calorie limits.

I basically just chop carrots + onions + celery, toss it in the pot with the peas and the liquid specified on the bag (often as vegetable broth, sometimes as water).
  • Charl124b
    Options
    All fruit and vegtables have carbs in, I think broccoli and green beans have the smallest about of carbs in though.
  • twins2x2
    Options
    Charl124b wrote: »
    All fruit and vegtables have carbs in, I think broccoli and green beans have the smallest about of carbs in though.

Fruit is a no for me because I'm allergic to fruit. Veggies that grow above ground are low in carbs