What permanent healthy changes have you made in your life?

Options
Changing your job, cutting out fast food, making exercise your routine, moving out of a toxic environment, what permanent healthy changes have you made in your life that are helping you towards your goal?

Replies

• CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    awareness of the food I'm eating was pretty life changing. I didn't realize how many calories I was taking in, especially with what I saw as little snacks (goldfish crackers, cheese and crackers, chips and hummus). The biggest change after 4 years is that I don't even like fast food any more. I used to crave McDonald's french fries and admit that I would sometimes stop on the way home from work to get a cheeseburger and a small fry just to "tide me over until dinner". oh boy. Now I try a fry and it just tastes like lard and salt and is not appealing. Another massive change is that I actually like most vegetables when I used to think I was one of those supertasters who found everything bitter. Nope. Just wasn't preparing it well or was letting my brain get in the way of my taste buds.
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I read ingredients when I shop. And I'm excited to get to the gym... I didn't use to look forward to working out :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i realized, with the help of the great people on here, that one does not need to restrict certain types of foods in order to be successful at this.
    elimination was always my downfall.
    wish i would have known this earlier.
  • jlaw_1992
    jlaw_1992 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    colochel wrote: »
    I And I'm excited to get to the gym... I didn't use to look forward to working out :)

Same here! I never thought I'd enjoy running in this miserable snowy cold winter.

• AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I work out regularly and don't let things get too far out of control on the rest. If my size goes up, I eat less. If people are toxic, I stop talking to them. I still enjoy the things that gave me pleasure before, just generally in smaller quantities.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I increased my overall activity level.
    I increased the number and variety of workouts.
    I increased my consumption of nutrient dense foods, most notably vegetables.
    I increased my cooking.
    I drastically decreased my consumption of fast food.
    I drastically decreased my consumption of refined carbohydrates.

I increased my knowledge. And kept reading.

So far it's all "stuck" (14 years and counting)
  • meixnekm
    meixnekm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started paying attention to my body and realized it deserved better than what I was giving it. I used to eat like a poor college student (because I was) but struggled to grow out of that lifestyle once I graduated. Now I eat healthy and clean, and keep active by working out 4-5 times a week. What a difference!
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I used to eat out or order out everyday twice a day. I've stopped eating out. i don't plan to forever but for now this is the plan. i cook my own food for the most part with the exception of the low calorie snacks i consume. i've stayed at a 1300 daily calorie limit.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I run.

Seriously, as a former obese asthmatic smoker I never thought I could run a mile.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I seldom eat fast food and I stay away from liquid carloies ie Calorie soda, juice etc.
  • Wonderdash
    Wonderdash Posts: 10 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I became a vegan, an aspiring runner, and I stopped drinking soda. (:
  • sahead710
    sahead710 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed reading all of you guys' accomplishments!! :) here's some of mine, I'm totally a stress/emotional eater, so I changed jobs from a highly stressful one working in management at a fast food restaurant to working at a desk with a consistent schedule at a drafting and design company. Lowered my stress level 100% and now I have much more time to focus on my health. I have cut out sugary cereals, excessively eating sweets, fast food and breads, I feel strange if I don't go to the gym for a day, and I moved from living with a person who's habits I was pretty much emmulating, which meant I would sit on the couch and eat crappy food all the time and not exercise
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I pack my own lunch and/or dinner for work everyday. It takes a while, but so much better than either skipping meals or fast food.