Fat/Fit/Prediabetic/Thyroid and on the Cusp of Pre Menopause

Options
2»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    For someone with a metabolic disorder, things are way more complicated than CICO.

You are getting what, less that 5 hours a week of exercise? I exercise about four times that much and have managed to lose weight with more metabolic issues. Unless you are in an adrenal crisis or your endocrinologist has given you a hard-and-fast upper limit on exercise, don't worry about it.

Even with a metabolic disorder it is still calories in calories out, it's just that your BMR might be lower in the first place.

I have low thyroid and Celiacs, and have successfully lost weight this time, so it can be done. You need to make sure your thyroid levels are good, and weigh your food and track accurately, so you can figure out based on your loss / gains over a month or so, where your calories need to be to lose.

I have lost/kept off 85 pounds, thanks. I do track.

I have thyroid disease and 4 other metabolic diseases, including pituitary failure (pan-hypopituitarism/adult HGH deficiency). My BMR is about 25% of what it should be. The way that the body deals with foods involves several interdependent systems--it is never as simple as CICO. CICO is an assumption based on a healthy/functioning endocrine system. Not all of us have one of those.

No, it's still CICO. CICO is like an equation with variables. Your BMR is a variable affecting the CO portion of the equation, but it doesn't invalidate the equation itself. Weight is still a function of the balance of calories taken in vs. calories burnt.

• isstillarose
    isstillarose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    First, give yourself a lot of credit for being here and for trying. Peri-menopause can be complicated and with thyroid issues and being pre-diabetic (which is actually more common in people with thyroid disease), it can be really complicated. All of these things can cause a chemical low that makes it very hard to focus and move ahead.

Here are some things I found helpful:

Set one small, but important goal. Otherwise it is just too overwhelming. Take a look at your medical records and figure what your weight was just prior to being labeled pre-diabetic. Use this weight as your first goal. Achieving just this can make a big difference in your general health.

Second, if you are pre-diabetic, then you are insulin resistant, which makes it hard to lose weight. Has your doctor put you on Metformin? This can be very helpful and can keep your blood sugar stable so that you don't have chemical cravings. There is also some research that says that vitamin B1 along with a B complex can help regulate blood sugar. Very often people w/thyroid conditions have absorption issues and need extra nutrients. Have you read "Root Cause" by Izabella Wentz? I really like what she has to say. She also has a website.

Third consider how you feel on your current thyroid medication. How is your energy, mood, memory, etc.? If these aren't good, then you may need to up your levels or consider adding a little Cytomel (T3) to your mix. It is always a fight to get help with this, but there are good doctors out there. You just have to keep trying! If you have a doctor who doesn't listen, make an appointment with a different doctor.

Fourth, consider your other hormones. Have you been to the ob/gyn and discussed your issues? Is there anything they can do? I found that a little (and I mean very little, starting as a dime shaped circle and increasing gradually to a silver dollar size) natural progesterone cream (mine was from Whole Foods) rubbed on my stomach (where it absorbs at a slower rate than on your wrist) at night seemed to make me feel calmer, sleep better and have fewer sugar cravings. Too much of this made me depressed, so be careful!

Fifth, focus on building muscle. You're already here, so you're tracking calories, protein, carbs and fat. That's a great start! Maybe consider adding (or substituting in) another weight building routine. As a peri-menopausal woman the tendency is to gain fat and lose muscle, so you have to fight that!

Sixth, check your salt shaker. A lot of us have moved away from iodized salt to sea salt or kosher salt, because that's what a lot of recipes call for. If you don't have iodine in your diet, your thyroid hormones won't work right even if your levels are high. Some multi-vitamins have the recommended dosage in them, others don't. (I don't feel good on vitamins that supply iodine as kelp. I'm not sure why,) Keeping this regulated is important to good thyroid health.

I hope this helps.

• momforone
    Options
    Wow, that is some fantastic information...I thank you very much:) I will try some of your suggestions:)
  • momforone
    Options
    So I woke up this morning and weighed myself. I have been honest and tracking everything. I did 40mins elliptical and 20 mins spin yesterday. I gained a 1/2 pound WTF. See how frustrating this is for me. Any thoughts, suggestions? I'm on my way to the gym to do weight training this am.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    momforone wrote: »
    So I woke up this morning and weighed myself. I have been honest and tracking everything. I did 40mins elliptical and 20 mins spin yesterday. I gained a 1/2 pound WTF.

Google "the scale lies".
  • momforone
    Options
    Thank you, that was a good article:)
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    For someone with a metabolic disorder, things are way more complicated than CICO.

You are getting what, less that 5 hours a week of exercise? I exercise about four times that much and have managed to lose weight with more metabolic issues. Unless you are in an adrenal crisis or your endocrinologist has given you a hard-and-fast upper limit on exercise, don't worry about it.

Even with a metabolic disorder it is still calories in calories out, it's just that your BMR might be lower in the first place.

I have low thyroid and Celiacs, and have successfully lost weight this time, so it can be done. You need to make sure your thyroid levels are good, and weigh your food and track accurately, so you can figure out based on your loss / gains over a month or so, where your calories need to be to lose.

I have thyroid disease and 4 other metabolic diseases, including pituitary failure (pan-hypopituitarism/adult HGH deficiency). My BMR is about 25% of what it should be. The way that the body deals with foods involves several interdependent systems--it is never as simple as CICO. CICO is an assumption based on a healthy/functioning endocrine system. Not all of us have one of those.

For me, just finding out after suspecting for a couple of years that my thyroid is indeed screwed. I know the ONLY way I could lose anymore weight right now is to drop to extremely low levels and maintain there for weeks just to get a maybe 1-3 pound drop.

I got told in these forums, CICO, you aren't logging right, you need more exercise.

As a result I have more food scales than any one human should own. I premeasure every single grocery that comes in the house that is mine and some are weighed AT the grocery store.

I go through a box of Ziploc bags a week, plus a box of the food saver bags a week too.

I'm maintaining on roughly 1400 calories and sometimes less.

I'm still waiting on an endocrinologist appointment to figure exactly how screwed my thyroid is. But I have learned just how far down the wishing well of OCD I can go. And it's pretty far indeed. I have also learned just how much pain I can handle before fainting.

I have no faith in the medical community. I'm currently not medicated because getting an endocrinologist appointment is apparently on par with achieving world peace by beauty pageant contestants. Either way, Until or unless something like a miracle on par with raising the dead happens, I have to stop at work and lay on the ground to regain balance, walking half a mile without that will make me faint. I've got more vitamin supplements going on than Walgreens has shelf space. It's also given me brain fog of the sort that requires copious notes and checklists just to half *kitten* do my job. Some of that comes home on a zip drive and in pictures so my 17 year old can help input it all into the excel sheet.

Mostly I pray I won't die before this appointment, although some days it doesn't seem like such a bad thing when I'm puking from joint pain so bad it causes my heart to skip beats.

Good Luck Op, I wish you all the best.

• lavendah
    lavendah Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    OP,I don't know how relevant this is but have you checked for insulin resistance? A lot of pre-diabetic people suffer from that and it lowers your metabolism and causes more fat storage + increases your hunger.
  • tgandee
    tgandee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am menopausal with a bad thyroid and burned out adrenals. I had metabolic syndrome for years that I couldn't reverse no matter how hard I tried. Not one medical doctor/endo helped me, so I turned to a holistic doctor. I have to respectfully disagree with the calorie in calorie out, it does not work when your hormones have gone crazy. If this is your issue you may want to stop with the hardcore workouts because working out stresses your body which in turn creates more cortisol. I am actually losing weight now going grain free/dairy free (paleo)and doing Buti yoga. I just recently had blood work done and I have reversed the metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance. Now that I have everything under control I am having great success with calorie counting. I hope this helps you because I know exactly what you are going thru! PS Buti yoga has cardio so you still get in a great workout.
  • momforone
    Options
    Thanks for the responses:)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I'm 46 and have have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Thyroid meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I lost just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burned.

Logging works. If I could do this, you can too!
  • tracycloninger649
    Options

• tracycloninger649
    Options
    Hi! I have Celiacs and no thyroid at all ): at one point I lost weight on the South Beach Diet but couldn't maintain it because my gut was super uncomfortable eating that way. Now I'm very up and down but have had success over the last two weeks. 6lbs yay! I had to find the right thing to heal my gut and watch my calories. My friend calls it learning to eat like a woman instead of a man! One trick this same friend taught me was to not enter my exercise into MFP so that I keep the calories at more of a deficit. I found that I am sleeping WAY better being very low sugar and not having gastric distress. Had no idea how much my IBS was affecting my sleep. Cross your fingers that this will continue!
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    jodyhollar wrote: »
    Ketogenic is the only way I lose. You are either using carbohydrates as fuel, or fat. Which would you like to burn off?

Yes, a ketogenic diet would, it seems be an ideal diet for you, but it would require you to eat meat and dairy to stick to it. It severely restricts carbs and is a high fat diet. It has many many health benefits, and if stuck to for long enough, it could pretty much cure your ailments.

You are reading this from someone who has been exactly where you are with respect to smoking. I let myself gain weight in order to quit, because it was the only way. I got that weight off, and I am starting to get below 200 this go around.

If you would like more info, message me and I can tell you more.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    [qO"mamapeach910;31185251"]

No, it's still CICO. CICO is like an equation with variables. Your BMR is a variable affecting the CO portion of the equation, but it doesn't invalidate the equation itself. Weight is still a function of the balance of calories taken in vs. calories burnt.

[/quote]

Weight loss/gain purely is cico, according to the LoCoM. Diets are a way of eating to reap certain health benefits, and as a way to see how to get to the certain caloric intake .
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    [qO"mamapeach910;31185251"]

Weight loss/gain purely is cico, according to the LoCoM. Diets are a way of eating to reap certain health benefits, and as a way to see how to get to the certain caloric intake .
    [/quote]

I'm not sure who you were quoting, but that quote of mine in there isn't disagreeing with this premise.