How obsessive are you?

Options
Do you stick to exact calories everyday or do you have the odd sneaky extra and not count or add it onto another day?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I log everything. The diary is a tool, and I like being able to predict if I'm going to maintain a lose next month... if I didn't log everything, it would be pointless.

I definitely don't stick to my calories every day though, I go over some days, and under others.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I don't eat the same amount of calories every day, no. But yeah, I log everything. 'Cept when I am traveling, and that's probably going to stop, too, 'cause every time I travel I gain a pound or two. Sure, sure, it comes right off, but it's still an annoyance.
  • AntonioP23
    AntonioP23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I log everything. I even go to the trouble of logging and planning 80% of the next day's food as well.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I log everything M-F. The weekends forget about it. I am conscious of what I eat but, do not log. I drink many lite beers on 1 day of the weekend. Will never give this up.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Do you stick to exact calories everyday or do you have the odd sneaky extra and not count or add it onto another day?

I aim for about 1500 minimum, 1700 maximum. (my fitbit gives me calories too)

I will use leftover calories from the day before or borrow calories from the next day if I'm hungry enough.

Being in the red on my calories bothers me, so...I play with the numbers a bit sometimes. It all works out.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I own 4 food scales. One lives in my purse, one at the office and 2 at home. I grocery shop then bring it home and Ziploc bag everything into pre-portioned out servings.

I weigh daily.

I also tried the if everyday were like today thing to see. I ate exactly the same stuff daily for 5 weeks straight.

I might be a tad OCD.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Being accurate and consistent =/= being obsessive.

I logged for many months very accurately and consistently and lost weight without being obsessed...it was just a tool and I treated it as such...I didn't become obsessed until about 7-8 months in...not sure what happened, but I definitely took a mental turn for the worse.

By obsessed I mean freaking the hell out because the app or site went down and I couldn't log something right then and there.

Going on a camping trip to the middle of nowhere and being consumed the entire time by calories and wondering if I was blowing it or not eating enough or blowing up my stupid macros or whatever.

Pre-logging my days and feeling guilty if I, god forbid, had to change something in my diary or did something that sent me over by a few measly calories.

Being afraid to go out to dinner with my wife to an establishment that didn't have nutritional information...and secretly wanting to take my food scale along with me.

That's obsessed...simply logging and keeping track of things isn't an obsession, but it can turn into one. Needless to say, I don't log anymore. Thankfully I learned a whole lot in RE to nutrition and how to fuel my body along the way as I've had no issues maintaining for 1.5 years without logging.

• Lourdesong
    Options

I also tried the if everyday were like today thing to see. I ate exactly the same stuff daily for 5 weeks straight.

What was the result?

• Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

What was the result?

they lied. it's a feel good tool. But then again it could be me, just discovered I have a thyroid issue, so your results may vary. Mine didn't. I lost only 1 pound from that experiment.
  • Lourdesong
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

What was the result?

they lied. it's a feel good tool. But then again it could be me, just discovered I have a thyroid issue, so your results may vary. Mine didn't. I lost only 1 pound from that experiment.

Ah, interesting. I've never heard of anyone testing it out in the way you described (eating the same thing for 5 weeks), so I was intrigued. :)

• crocky64
    crocky64 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Try to be honest and log all that I eat good or bad as I feel why not log when all said and done you are only lying to yourself and is that really lying as you already know ????
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    You're asking two very different questions in one, OP.

I "do not stick to exact calories" and am not at all obsessive about going over goal.

I am quite obsessive however about exact, complete and honest logging.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I try very hard to stay at or slightly below my calorie goal, (it varies because of exercise calories) yes I have had days that go over. However I am obsessive (I don't like this word for this) on logging every single thing I eat or drink as well as measuring it correctly.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I only log my foods Monday through Friday and take weekends (and major feast-type holidays) off. Sometimes a random day off here and there, too, if I'm just not in the mood to fuss about it. I only have about 13-15 pounds left, and I'm not in a big ol' hurry. I don't go crazy when I'm not logging, but it's when I eat things that would be a pain in the butt to log, like going out to eat or having dinner at a friend's, grabbing a handful of pretzels instead of weighing them, not caring if I have an exact 5 oz of wine. And there's some treats I'll only have on a weekend, like Raspberry Zingers or donuts.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I log accurately. That means everything I eat. I don't think that's obsessive at all.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    You're asking two very different questions in one, OP.

I "do not stick to exact calories" and am not at all obsessive about going over goal.

I am quite obsessive however about exact, complete and honest logging.

+1

The only thing I'm not honest about is cooking spray and spices. For the amount that I spray and the amount of spices I consume versus my 610-calorie deficit, it's not worth it to me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I log 95% of the time. I generally have a day or two a month when I don't log. On those days, I may or may not calorie count in my head.

I eat the same things on a regular basis and I'm pretty good at estimating portion sizes and calories. We eat out a lot and I don't freak out about it the way some people do. If the chef adds extra butter or oil, no big deal.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    AntonioP23 wrote: »
    I log everything. I even go to the trouble of logging and planning 80% of the next day's food as well.

Me too. I don't eat out that often, but when I do, I try to estimate the brutal truth. Logging every bite really helps me be disciplined and breaks bad habits.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I log everything. I would only be cheating myself if I didn't.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I log everything within an accurate 24 period. It's 1:10am here just now, I just had some biscuits (I'm a late-night snacker), and I've already logged them for today, a new day (the 11th.) Not logging certain things, even if they're a treat that will put you over cals and make you feel guilty, is a bit detrimental to accountability.