I don't eat past...

Options

Replies

• Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat past 7:30-8pm, because I like having a set time to stop eating. And, it takes more time to digest/break down what you eat if you are sedentary (asleep).
  • YanmiYann
    YanmiYann Posts: 33 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing! I eat late dinners so I don't have a rule like that. Just curious as to reasons behind it.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    It depends usually nothing after dinner. But, if I am hungry and within my daily calories I eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    YanmiYann wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for sharing! I eat late dinners so I don't have a rule like that. Just curious as to reasons behind it.

These kind of things come about as people try to find ways to control their consumption...that's it...there's now secrets of the universe here. These "rules" are generally derived outside of the calorie counting world as a means of dietary control.

I don't log and I have similar "rules" for myself, though not one for eating after a certain time.
  • lavendah
    lavendah Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm not very rigid about it but I now have a habit of not eating for 3-4 hours before I go to bed.One reason is that it keeps the morning weigh-ins lower :wink: Well I do know that's a silly reason lol but I'm obsessed with 'the number'
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I work 7pm-7am soooooooo :)
  • I practice intuitive eating...so eating whenever I'm actually hungry and eating what I really want. The reason I might eating anything due to time it because of sleep. I'm trying to get in better tune with sleeping. I'm noticing if I have caffeine or alcohol or eat too much too close to my bed time (which varies) it can disrupt my sleep.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Past 6 pm usually, but not always. Reason: my appetite tapers down greatly after 6 so I don't feel like eating unless there is an event or an outing (in which case it comes back with vengence!)
  • crocky64
    crocky64 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Timing has absolutely no effect on weight loss and how the body processes calories; this is a myth. However, I like to try to stop eating after 8pm because a) having this arbitrary 'rule' helps me to stop mindlessly snacking in the evening and b) I'm motivated by my weigh-ins and find that I get better weigh-ins in the morning if the faster period has been longer (i.e my body has had more time to process and expel food/waste from my body). I also find I sleep better if I haven't eaten just before bed. These are all personal reasons though, you have to find what works for you :)

So true and totally agree with this. Also what would you do if friends ask you round for dinner would you ask can you make it before 8 ??
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I really like this thread. I came in here expecting a lot of "eating after 6pm will make you FAT" nonsense, but instead!

Anyway, just to add my two cents, I am also a late night eater. I do IF, but I have an opposite window to the person above who stops eating at 9:30pm; I usually start eating around 4:30pm, 5, when I get home from work and don't stop until I fall asleep. Or 2:30am rolls around and I wake up and eat a snack. Hasn't harmed my progress any (other habits have, sure, but not that particular one).
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't east paste, either.

1232007661_16077987.gif

Wait - ...
  • Jesslan_Rose
    Jesslan_Rose Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat after 7pm. My worst time of snacking has always been in bed at night watching tv. So to me, the whole point of not eating after 7pm is that I'm... not... eating. I don't know or particularly care if it affects my metabolism or not. I just know keeping to this time keeps me from mindlessly eating at night. :)
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    9....hoping to get that down to 8. I like to snack at night so hoping to scale back!
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have a 'do not eat past 9pm' rule but only because giving me a cut off time helps me mentally to not want to keep snacking all evening, however if I have a late/busy day and still have calories left then I will eat after 9. Once my cals are up then that's my cut off.
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I just finished dinner while reading this thread. It's five to midnight in my time zone. I record MFP days as wake-to-sleep, not by the midnight-to-midnight clock (which can be pesky since I'm usually up 'til the wee hours). It doesn't matter when you eat. Though I do avoid spicy foods at night, just for the sake of sleep.

My bro is currently on the "too late to eat" kick, so he'll just skip an entire meal after a 2 hour workout if he didn't eat beforehand... *sigh*
  • bunnypy
    bunnypy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    7pm, because I wake up bloated like crazy, unless it's a Friday night, then I know I don't have to worry about looking weird in my tight dresses the following day!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I have GERD, so I don't like to eat too late. Generally my last meal will be around 6:30 at the latest.
  • SandyCoils
    SandyCoils Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I used to be one of those people that strictly believed in not eating past 7:00pm and if I did I would gain 5011 pounds! I try not to eat too late because if I do and then go to bed my acid reflux nearly kills me, but since being here on MFP and watching my calories, I have had a few meals/snacks at night with no serious consequence. Who knew?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat past 7:30 PM, although I do so fairly regularly. I have that as a goal because it's nice to have a frame for the day, it gives me about 12 hours fasted state per day which could have some benefits, it may help with circadian rhythms (although I still don't follow a good bed/wake time which would help a lot more), and usually I've hit all my calories for the day by then.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i eat in an 8 hour window, so it's 1-9pm during the week. weekends, 12-8pm. it has been a life changer.