how do I log my food third shift

Options
So my big question for the day. I work third. Do I log my food midnight to midnight or do I do it from when I wake up till I go to bed? Please help.

Replies

• KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    As long as you're consistent, it wouldn't matter. I do midnight to midnight, but it might make more sense for you to log from wake up until bed.
  • emiliamay_
    emiliamay_ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I log from when I wake up til I go to bed. I changed the names of my meal slots to times when I eat to remind myself to eat my snacks. For me, I work late so my meals and snacks are 11am, 1pm, 4pm, 6pm and 9pm. I would say just change the titles of the slots to better suit your lifestyle
  • procolorer
    procolorer Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I log from when I wake up to when I go to sleep. I usually wake up between 2:30-3:30 pm so my first meal is my breakfast :) stay consistent and you'll be fine :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    You can also change your time zone to be more in line with your lifestyle.
  • ninabaz
    ninabaz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    ,thank you guys.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I do midnight to midnight, works really well for me
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I will somewhat disagree in that I don't believe you need to be consistent. You can just get all the calories on there somewhere and work out averages for the week.

I don't really eat meals. My diary is set up from long ago when I had a different schedule. If I change it now it messes up past data so my logging is all over the place, I just get it on there somewhere (when I am bothering to log).

now that being said, if you don't want to mess with some days being "over" and some days being "under", then yes be consistent.

But really the averages over time is what matters, so do whatever makes the most sense and is easiest for you.

I have been known to get through my calories for the day, keep eating and just start sticking the entries on the next day too. Though I have typically always had a pretty high calorie allowance so there is quite a bit of wiggle room with 1800 cals or so. I wouldn't suggest that to anyone trying to eat 1200/day (course I wouldn't suggest trying to eat 1200/day either)
  • strikermiz
    strikermiz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I only do 2 12´s a week so its easier for me to just log midnight to midnight. I pretty much log it under whatever meal already has my entries. The stuff i eat overnight might be my usual breakfast lunch or snack foods. As long as i get it on there for the day.
  • I do something totally different. Check it out...my diary is public.
  • ninabaz
    Options
    I do something totally different. Check it out...my diary is public.

Nope its private
  • elamar12
    Options
    I log from wake up to bed on days that I work.
  • rickyjones1848
    rickyjones1848 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I work night shift as well, and I usually log midnight to midnight. It's easier to keep it consistent. If I eat "dinner" after midnight, which happens sometimes, I just apply it to the previous day. The important thing is that everything gets logged and you don't end up eating a fourth meal. Night shift workers have it a little harder when losing weight due to constantly fighting against the body's natural eating and sleeping patterns. Myfitnesspal has been a big help.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Given the huge number of posts in the confession thread where people admitted moving overages to other days, I would say it doesn't really matter. And remember, your body isn't storing or burning fat based on what you're eating in a 24-hour period anyway.

Be consistent, don't be consistent, just log every bite.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I work nite shift too. I tried to do the midnight to midnight and it didn't work for me. I find it works to do start when I wake up and end when I go to bed.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I do something totally different. Check it out...my diary is public.

I checked it out, but you don't have any foods logged, so no way to know how your lableing works.

I ran into issues with the lable's too. I now do mine as Meal 1, Meal 2, Meal 3 etc all the way to Meal 6. I just fill in the meals as I eat. That way if I eat in the day or night, it all shows acurate. (my diary is open too, take a look... and I have foods entered too :smiley:
  • marialy21
    marialy21 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I log midnight to midnight. I flip flop from days to nights between 2 jobs. 8 hour and 12 hour shifts. I find if i do wake to sleep i over eat.
  • ninabaz
    Options
    Thank you guys you've been a big help